· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Bateluer
Lifer

Default Let the iPad 2 specuation begin!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/i...a-png-of-wood/

Quote:
So, we heard from our source that the iPad 2 would have a "super high resolution" Retina Display, we heard from AppleInsider that the iPad 2 is getting around 4X the graphics performance of the iPad, and of course there's the fact that the iPhone 4's Retina Display offered a pretty impressively painless upgrade path for developers -- an iPad 2 with a 2048 x 1536 screen is starting to sound less and less like the crazy dream of naive fanboys. But wait, there's more! A .png has been found in the iBooks 1.2 source files, dubbed Wood Tile@2x.png. It's sized at 1536 x 800, while the old and busted Wood Tile.png in iBooks 1.1 was 768 x 400 -- that's 2X in each direction, or 4X the pixels, for anyone who's counting. Incontrovertible evidence? No, but we want to believe.
Not too shabby. Seriously doubt we'll see 2048x1536 for a few generations, but I can live with 1536x800. Now, those create devs and hackers will just need to shoehorn Honeycomb onto this guy.
Bateluer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Pliablemoose
Banned

There's also a rumor of a SD card slot on gen II.
Pliablemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliablemoose View Post
There's also a rumor of a SD card slot on gen II.
Saw that. Not sure how much credibility I'd give it though, kinda goes against everything that Apple's down with their mobile products in the past.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Pliablemoose
Banned

Engadget posted it and they seem to be a source of controlled Apple leaks...

Having 6 versions of a device is just stupid IMHO, I'd pay $100 more for one with expandable memory.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
Doboji
Diamond Member

If the iPad 2 really does 2048 x 1536.. I will be buying one. And I am a total Android fanboy.

Current Toys: Samsung Galaxy SIII, iPad 3 32GB WIFI, lots of mechanical watches!
Doboji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member

Unless they manage to pack a GTX 580 into it you can say goodbye to games running at anything close to native res.

To put things in perspective even if it has 4x the gpu power like some of the rumors claim it would still be slower than a Intel IGP.

Puddle Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
ponyo
Lifer

I'm preordering soon as it's available. I already promised the Mrs.
I'm sure Apple wont let me down and it'll be great.
ponyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naustica View Post
I'm preordering soon as it's available. I already promised the Mrs.
I'm sure Apple wont let me down and it'll be great.
It's just going to be an enhanced iPad so how could it be bad?
zerocool84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
Exactly. That's why I'm 100% committed without any care or knowledge of specs. iPad 1 is fantastic. 2 can only be better.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
If this launches at the right time I could be interested, I just hope Apple does something interesting with the interface. From what I have seen of the Playbook it's UI has really raised the bar compared to what's currently available from Apple and Google.

Puddle Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
Exactly. That's why I'm 100% committed without any care or knowledge of specs. iPad 1 is fantastic. 2 can only be better.
Something that irritates me about Apple fans. You only know the most minimal about the product, and yet you buy it. People were salivating over the iPad when it was just the rumor of an Apple tablet, without any knowledge of specs, pricing, warranty, data plans, etc.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
Pliablemoose
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateluer View Post
Something that irritates me about Apple fans. You only know the most minimal about the product, and yet you buy it. People were salivating over the iPad when it was just the rumor of an Apple tablet, without any knowledge of specs, pricing, warranty, data plans, etc.
Except for Apple TV, Apple has had a pretty good track record of producing decent products, so it's relatively safe to be an Apple fanboy
Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
What is there to know? I already told you iPad 1 is fantastic. I would buy another one without hesitation if something happened it. My family loves the device. It's a given v2 is going to have better specs since it's a tech device. My wife actually wanted two iPads. One for her and one for my daughter since she uses it so much. I convinced her to just share one until V2 which I knew was coming. So how can I lose buying V2 even without knowing the specs? It's going to be better than V1 and that's all I need to know.

Last edited by ponyo; 01-17-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
MrX8503
Diamond Member

I don't make a big purchase until I do the research myself, so I'm gonna wait and see what the Tablet market will be like this summer.

One thing about Apple though is that their specs/performance is truthful. When they say 10hr iPad battery life, they really mean 10hrs.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
What is there to know? I already told you iPad 1 is fantastic. I would buy another one without hesitation if something happened it. My family loves the device. It's a given v2 is going to have better specs since it's a tech device. My wife actually wanted two iPads. One for her and one for my daughter since she uses it so much. I convinced her to just share one until V2 which I knew was coming. So how can I lose buying V2 even without knowing the specs? It's going to be better than V1 and that's all I need to know.
Its your money, you earned it, spend it how you wish. I'll research products before I buy them, regardless of how much I like/trust the manufacturer.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
ChAoTiCpInOy
Diamond Member

Quote:
But they didn't buy it until they did the research for the product.
ChAoTiCpInOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #17
Oyeve
Lifer

Man, you apple fanbots sicken me. Preordering and having wet dreams and you have no idea what the hell it is. Tell me, when Steve dies will you all commit suicide?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #18
Pliablemoose
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyeve View Post
Man, you apple fanbots sicken me. Preordering and having wet dreams and you have no idea what the hell it is. Tell me, when Steve dies will you all commit suicide?
1.) It's not available for pre order.

2.) An evolution of the #1 best selling consumer product of all time (let that sink in a bit, the iPad is the #1 best selling consumer device of all time)

3,) The CEO of the decade has had years to put together the team to run Apple in his absence.

4.) WTF man, show a little compassion, the guy changed the world, without his efforts and vision, the gadgets you love likely wouldn't exist without Steve Jobs.

Namaste, Oyeve.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #19
Bateluer
Lifer

Quote:
2.) An evolution of the #1 best selling consumer product of all time (let that sink in a bit, the iPad is the #1 best selling consumer device of all time)
No, its not. Not trying to derail my own thread here, but there's a lot of consumer devices that outsell the iPad, and will continue to outsell the iPad. Unfortunately, that Apple logo confuses a lot of people who believe it to be some mythical stamp of approval from God himself.

Everything the iPad does, other devices do better. Want to read books? Nooks and Kindles easily best the iPad with their e-ink screens and no data plan pricing. Incidentally, nooks/Kindles also win out on battery life, portability, and cost as well. Need a device to do work? Get an ultraportable notebook, gets the same battery life as the iPad, costs the same. No monthly data plan. The iPad sells because people are idiots. Its as simple as that. I'm just confused how people can impulse buy a 500+ dollar toy.

On Steve Job's passing away, every time he takes medical leave or there's even a rumor of a decline in his health, Apple stock drops. He may have had years to put together a team, but that runs counter to his philosophy of 'I control everything, you do what I say when I say it. I know best'. I'm sure there's a lot of competent people at Apple, but without Steve, Apple stock is going to drop by half.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #20
Medu

Quote:
I would rephrase that as it makes you sound ridiculous.

If the rumours are true then it will certainly be a very impressive piece of kit. Nobody has yet been able to match the iPad and by the time it's first real competitor enters the market, probably the Xoom, they will be ready to move the goal posts.
Medu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #21
DivideBYZero
Banned

Quote:
1.)<...the iPad is the #1 best selling consumer device of all time...>
They've sold 250 million iPads. Wow.
DivideBYZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #22
ChAoTiCpInOy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Everything the iPad does, other devices do better. Want to read books? Nooks and Kindles easily best the iPad with their e-ink screens and no data plan pricing. Incidentally, nooks/Kindles also win out on battery life, portability, and cost as well. Need a device to do work? Get an ultraportable notebook, gets the same battery life as the iPad, costs the same. No monthly data plan. The iPad sells because people are idiots. Its as simple as that. I'm just confused how people can impulse buy a 500+ dollar toy.

On Steve Job's passing away, every time he takes medical leave or there's even a rumor of a decline in his health, Apple stock drops. He may have had years to put together a team, but that runs counter to his philosophy of 'I control everything, you do what I say when I say it. I know best'. I'm sure there's a lot of competent people at Apple, but without Steve, Apple stock is going to drop by half.
So you're saying get 3 different devices that does everything the iPad does?

Last edited by ChAoTiCpInOy; 01-18-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #23
dpodblood
Diamond Member

Well since apple removed VLC player from the App store they have also removed 90% of the reason I would ever want an Ipad (1 or 2). Playing games or reading books on a tablet device just doesn't appeal to me, and general web browsing is much easier on a netbook imho.
dpodblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #24
ChAoTiCpInOy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpodblood View Post
Well since apple removed VLC player from the App store they have also removed 90% of the reason I would ever want an Ipad (1 or 2). Playing games or reading books on a tablet device just doesn't appeal to me, and general web browsing is much easier on a netbook imho.
That's more VLC's fault that Apple's fault. Videolan had a lot of internal debate saying that the GPL is compatible with the App Store. But instead of trying to resolve it, they sent a takedown notice to Apple.

Last edited by ChAoTiCpInOy; 01-18-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #25
MrX8503
Diamond Member

Quote:
So I need a lot of toys to do several things?

The iPad isn't excellent at doing one thing right, its excellent at doing many things good enough. I still don't know why Apple haters fail to see why the iPad is successful, whereas Tablets before it failed.

Battery Life - 10hrs
Fast - Flash storage
Smooth - Very little stutter
Intuitive Touch UI - Finger/Touch input
Thin/small - .5" Thick

Failed PC Tablets of yesteryear had zero of these things. This is why the iPad is successful, not because people are idiots. People want a portable tablet, not a damn brick tablet pc that gets 3 hrs.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote