· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Chaotic42
Lifer

Default Can a company force their salaried employee to work more than 40 hours per week?

Right now most of us at work are working a bit of overtime. We're salaried and I was talking with my supervisor today and he said that the company can't force anyone to work more than forty hours per week. That sounds absurd to me. I understand that it's undesirable to have to do that regularly, and it would lead to people leaving, but are companies really powerless to force salaried employees to work more than forty hours per week, or can they fire employees who refuse to do so?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
MagnusTheBrewer
Lifer

You have no right to only work 40 hours a week. You only have the right to be paid more IF you get paid by the hour. A company certainly can fire you for not doing your job if the job requires more than 40 hours.
MagnusTheBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
CVSiN
Diamond Member

um yes.... welcome to the corp world..
you either work it or you get fired..

this seems especially true in IT when after hours work is usually the only time to get migrations etc done.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)

CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
D1gger
Diamond Member

An acquaintance was taken before a labour tribunal here in Canada because one of his ex-employees was claiming for overtime. He tried to claim for overtime that was spent at home surfing the net to further his knowledge of the business (it is an internet business) and for answering emails in the evenings.

The Labour Board ruled that he was not eligible for overtime, but only because his employment contract had a reference to working a minimum of 40 hours per week, which set the expectation that he may be required to work more than 40 hours. I thought it was absurd that it would have been even considered, since I had always thought salaried staff was not eligible for OT, but it seems like it depends on the employment contract.

All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone. - Blaise Pascal

Last edited by D1gger; 01-17-2011 at 06:52 PM.
D1gger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
Corporate Thug
Lifer

ummm, company I just interviewed with said they have a 45 hour billable requirement per month (meaning at least 60 hours/week).

Member, Official AnandTech Bar Association

Corsair 700D ll i2500k@ 4.5 Ghz ll Asrock z68 gen3 ll Sapphire 7870XT Tahiti @ 1200/1600 ll Corsair A70 ll XFX 650W Black Edition ll 8GB Corsair Vengeance ll Dell 2707 WFP
Corporate Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Chaotic42
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVSiN View Post
um yes.... welcome to the corp world..
you either work it or you get fired..

this seems especially true in IT when after hours work is usually the only time to get migrations etc done.
Interesting.

I mean, I agree with it, if you take on a salaried job, you enter a contract to do it. I'm surprised that he's under that impression, then. Maybe it's a company rule.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
MagnusTheBrewer
Lifer

*acquaintance

Canuckistan is a whole 'nother' critter.
MagnusTheBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Phokus
Lifer

"Can a company force their salaried employee to work more than 40 hours per week?"

In this economy? Let me answer your question with another question:

"Can a slavemaster force their slave to do anything they want?"
Why racists vote Republican
ATPN has become such a shithole, conservatives even advocate for genocide.
Phokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Alone
Diamond Member

That's the WHOLE POINT of being a salary worker.
Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
CVSiN
Diamond Member

look at recent uprisings at EA Games where spouses were up in arms that their husbands were working extremely long shifts to complete projects at deadlines.

I worked recently at a Publishing Company and it was almost as bad there..
writers and editors staying overnight sometimes in order to get articles out to press on time.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."
- Seneca (4 b.c.- 65 a.d.)

CVSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
D1gger
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusTheBrewer View Post
*acquaintance

Canuckistan is a whole 'nother' critter.
Thank you sir, the error has been corrected, and you are especially correct about Canuckistan being very different about employment standards ... especially the left coast.

All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone. - Blaise Pascal
D1gger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
Mr. Pedantic
Diamond Member

Why not? If your contract says you are required to finish some form of project work, then even if you work the full 40 hours but don't get it done, you need to work more.
Mr. Pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
Svnla
Lifer

If you are salaried, aka "excempt", you stay until things get done...and zero OT pay.

<<---- used to work for a place with 50% pay raise but almost 90% more hours...needless to say, I did not stay too long.
Svnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #14
dud
Diamond Member

OP, welcome to corporate America.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
Vic Vega
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic42 View Post
Right now most of us at work are working a bit of overtime. We're salaried and I was talking with my supervisor today and he said that the company can't force anyone to work more than forty hours per week. That sounds absurd to me. I understand that it's undesirable to have to do that regularly, and it would lead to people leaving, but are companies really powerless to force salaried employees to work more than forty hours per week, or can they fire employees who refuse to do so?
I see you are in Florida. Florida is a right to work state, meaning, you can work anywhere and not be forced to join a union. It also means an employer can dismiss you for any legal reason they desire, at any time, without prior notice. So, if the job they are asking you to do requires 60 hours a week and you can't or won't complete the job, they can most certainly dismiss you.

Last edited by Vic Vega; 01-17-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Vic Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #16
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer

Yep. In the corporate environment, your purpose on earth is to WORK. M-F, Saturdays, Sundays. Whatever it takes. Your life may suck, but hey! You're making so much money!

Thank God for unions protecting their workers from exploitation like that. 40 hours = a full time week. You want your worker to work more hours? Pay them overtime.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
zCypher
Diamond Member

I thought hourly = you get paid for the hours worked, and
salary = you get paid $X/year, regardless of hours worked.

?
zCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #18
timosyy
Golden Member

I'm considered "non-exempt" so... Sure, I'll work OT, but I'm getting paid for it
timosyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
Chaotic42
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
I see you are in Florida. Florida is a right to work state, meaning, you can work anywhere and not be forced to join a union. It also means an employer can dismiss you for any legal reason they desire, at any time, without prior notice. So, if the job they are asking you to do requires 60 hours a week and you can't or won't complete the job, they can most certainly dismiss you.
I'm actually in Mississippi.

I'll have to print this thread out and show that dumbass... uh, hey man.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #20
chalmers
Platinum Member

I'm salary in a professional CPA accounting firm. Any hours I work > 40 get accrued into a lump payment at the hourly wage of what my salary would be two times a year, or I can take it as vacation.
chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #21
Jeff7
Lifer

Question then...why aren't all jobs salaried? Unless I'm missing something, it sounds like a goddamn sweet deal for the employer, in a country which already views things like time off and vacation as whiny cries of people who want to waste their lives doing things other than glorifying their employer.*
Put your workforce on salary, and then make them do anything. Stay until the work is done. If it takes 60 hours, tough shit, enjoy your 40-hours-worth of pay. You're welcome.

* - Reading anything on European vacation/holiday practices gives an idea of who runs the government in the US. They get more holiday hours there than I get in vacation time. Plus 4-6 weeks of paid vacation on top of that. Here, you have to wait until you hit retirement age before you can really get some decent time off.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #22
KK
Lifer

They can't force you to. They can't force you to do anything. Of course they can definitely let you go.
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
KK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #23
IronWing
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timosyy View Post
I'm considered "non-exempt" so... Sure, I'll work OT, but I'm getting paid for it
This is the source of a lot of screwing going on in the labor market. Lots of employees are classified as exempt that should not be. IT folks not in supervisory positions should not be classified as exempt.
IronWing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #24
duragezic
Lifer

I was salaried and exempt but I got OT, well after 45 hours/wk, so first 5 OT was unpaid. So I don't think exempt necessarily means no OT pay.
duragezic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #25
Jeff7
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK View Post
They can't force you to. They can't force you to do anything. Of course they can definitely let you go.
Well yeah, "force" is kind of subjective if you look at it that way.

I can't "force" you to do anything against your will. You may well choose to disobey my instructions, knowing full well that a bullet in the head is the result. But you were given the choice.
"Honest, officer! I didn't force the guy to do anything! I clearly gave him some terms, and he made a choice based on those terms. "