· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Texashiker
Lifer

Default Good place to buy hardware from besides tigerdirect and newegg?

Just as the title says, what company is a good place to buy hardware from besides newegg and tigerdirect

Newegg - My wife and I use a debit card to buy stuff off the net - we do not even have a credit card. I made a purchase through newegg, they put a hold on my card for the amount, and then tried to run the charge through again. I had enough on the debit card for the purchase and not double the price, so the second charge was declined and the order did not go through. When I called newegg about the hold, they denied it. The customer support person would not even look at my account. Their excuse was "we do not do stuff like that." After holding the funds on my card for almost a week, and after repeated calls, I finally got someone at newegg to release the hold they supposedly did not have to start with.

What made me the maddest, was that the customer support people would not even look at my account.

Tigerdirect - received a dead drive, sent it back,,,, waited 2 weeks for replacement, called, the customer service support guy told me "your money has been refunded" and hung up on me.

I want a place where I can buy hardware from that will not give me the run around or rude customer service. Here lately I have been buying from amazon.

I sometimes go to pricewatch, but I heard the companies they refer you to can be hit and miss. And every since pricewatch removed the reviews and ratings, I have not been too keen on buying anything through them anyway.

There is Frys, but the description of their online products leaves a lot to be desired. I was looking for a power supply, and there was no list of plugs on the units.

I like the selection that newegg has, but I will not put myself in a situation to have to deal with their customer service.
Texashiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Battoe

Newegg is obviously the best choice. If nothing else, I would still do my research there and buy elsewhere. zipzoomfly.com, superbiiz.com, and microcenter.com (and microcenter has retail locations) are a few choices.
Battoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
WT
Diamond Member

Mwave is a nice alternative as well.

Heat - One man's FS is another man's WTB
WT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
fralexandr
Golden Member

zipzoomfly
ncix/ncixus (shipping usually kills deals)
amazon (for some things like monitors/keyboards/mice, many components usually overpriced)

newegg has hands down the best pictures and item descriptions... just research off of newegg and buy elsewhere if you really can't stand them .

edit: doh zipzoomfly was already mentioned :S
fralexandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
leonlee
Golden Member

Microcenter is a great place to find deals on CPUs. I was able to get both a Core i7-860 and Core i7-920 for 30 dollars off (inc. tax) the slated MSRP at the time.
leonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
BoomerD
Lifer

Amazon. They don't offer much in the way of support, but their prices are competitive, and with Prime, you get free 2 day shipping. (most computer parts bought from Amazon come with free budget shipping anyway)
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
piasabird
Lifer

I have purchased some hardware from: www.directron.com

A lot of their prices are similar to New Egg. They sell both AMD and Intel custom systems, Bare bones systems, and also just parts.

I have purchased items from Newegg before with a debit card.
piasabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
stargazr
Golden Member

Wow that sucks, I'm surprised. I often use a debit card with them. I prefer to use a credit card for buying online because in the event that you get screwed around you have the option of a chargeback depending on the issue. You cannot do that with a debit card.

I also have bought stuff from Directron, they sometimes have good deals. I have been noticing Amazon's prices are often lower than Neweg now that I got into the habit of checking.
stargazr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
mfenn
Elite Member
Super Moderator
General Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by piasabird View Post
I have purchased some hardware from: www.directron.com
mfenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
corkyg
Peripherals

I use Newegg and ZipZoomFly. ZZZ has better shipping and packing than Newegg. My Rule #1 - NEVER use a debit card on line! Newegg and ZZZ are both in California - that means UPS Ground is always 3 days to Arizona.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

Texashiker, do you have any of these stores within driving distance?
Micro Center
Fry's Electronics
Tiger Direct
CompUSA (run by Tiger Direct)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyg View Post
Rule #1 - NEVER use a debit card on line!
Exactly! If your CC number gets jacked, no problem. Just fill out the paperwork, etc. If your debit card number gets jacked, bye bye bank account money!

Quote:
UPS Ground is always 3 days to Arizona.
Newegg has warehouses in New Jersey and Tennessee so they are always 3 day ground shipping away from everyone in the lower 48 States.

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #12
DaveSimmons
Elite Member

Mwave was there before newegg and is a decent company, though it's never gotten as professional.

Directron is good for fans and other parts newegg doesn't carry, not as good price-wise for mainstream parts.

ZipZoomFly used to have unreliable in-stock status but they were fine otherwise. That might have changed, too -- it's been a few years since I've used them.

I'd never use a debit card online though, it's too easy for a company to mess up your checking account as you've found.
DaveSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #13
Texashiker
Lifer

Quote:
My Rule #1 - NEVER use a debit card on line!
My wife and I do not have a credit card, so its difficult to use something you do not have.

Its a personal financial decision we have made, no credit cards. If we had them, we would most probably run up the bill and put our family in debt; and that is something we do not want to do. To avoid the temptation of using a credit card, and paying the interest and fees, we just do not have any.

My ex-wife, while we were married, she ran up a credit card bill between $30,000 - $35,0000. Every card we had was maxed. It took us years to pay that down, we had to go through credit counseling, collection companies were calling all the time,,,,,,,,, it was a bad time in my life. To avoid all of that again, an to avoid the temptation, my new wife and I do not have any credit cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSimmons View Post

I'd never use a debit card online though, it's too easy for a company to mess up your checking account as you've found.

My wife and I do not use checks either - life is a whole lot better without them.

No credit cards, no checking account,,,,, nothing like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Texashiker, do you have any of these stores within driving distance?
There is a best buy 1.25 hours drive, and there is a frys about 3 hours from here.

When my wife and I go to houston, sometimes we will make it a point to go to frys and pick up what we need. In the past, I have postponed online orders because we were going to houston, and we stopped by frys instead of ordering online.

Last edited by Texashiker; 01-13-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Texashiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
sigmanova

i went amazon for almost all of my parts except for the RAM. it took longer to ship since i'm cheap and did the free super saver shipping but it was worth it. they have fairly competitive prices and sometimes have great sales. plus i didn't have to pay tax!
sigmanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSimmons View Post
Directron is good for fans and other parts newegg doesn't carry, not as good price-wise for mainstream parts.
Directron warranties parts longer. Newegg used to, but now you get the same 30-day as anyone else, and have to go through manufacturer afterwards (good luck with some). Directron still does 1 year last I checked.

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #16
corkyg
Peripherals

BTW - I used to use MWave a lot until they acquired Insight in Phoenix. Now, they are "instate" and charge me sales tax. Adios Mwave!

I use Amazon also - but they are only a clearing house - most tech items are sub-contracted out and, although shipping is free, most comes from the East and takes a week at least.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #17
muskie32
Diamond Member

Get a paypal account and use the egg
Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
BoomerD
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmanova View Post
i went amazon for almost all of my parts except for the RAM. it took longer to ship since i'm cheap and did the free super saver shipping but it was worth it. they have fairly competitive prices and sometimes have great sales. plus i didn't have to pay tax!
If you haven't done so in the past year, Amazon offers a free 30 day trial of Prime...Order everything you need, get free 2 day shipping, cancel prime before the 30 days is up.
That's what I did when I ordered all my computer parts last month. Between my stuff and the clothes/kitchen stuff my wife ordered, we spent about $1350 at Amazon, and except for a few items of clothing that she ordered that came from amazon sellers, shipping was free for all of it.
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote