Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Beev
Diamond Member
 
Beev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,777
Default Good way to cancel plans with someone?

I'm quite the social retard, so I don't really know how to approach it, but I need to cancel plans with a friend tonight. There's a bit of backstory, but I'll try to keep it brief.

My roommate has recently gotten very upset with this mutual friend of ours. This happened after I made plans with said friend. Originally we were going to have a little new years eve get together at our apartment, but my roommate doesn't even want to see this guys face (she mad). At this point the only alternative is I go to our friends place instead, alone, where it will be just me, him, and his girlfriend. That is not a good time to me. I would much rather spend the time with my roommate.

So how do I break off the plans with our friend without causing a bunch of extra crap? I don't want him to think I am mad too, and I don't want him to think my roommate has me "whipped" or anything. But I also don't want to say "I would rather hang out with my roommate" because that sounds kind of rude.
__________________
wat
Beev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
SandEagle
Lifer
 
SandEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middle East Side
Posts: 16,684
Default

just cancel. don't start off 2011 by being a pussy
__________________
Fear is what keeps you alive. Never not be afraid.
SandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Hacp
Lifer
 
Hacp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 13,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beev View Post
I'm quite the social retard, so I don't really know how to approach it, but I need to cancel plans with a friend tonight. There's a bit of backstory, but I'll try to keep it brief.

My roommate has recently gotten very upset with this mutual friend of ours. This happened after I made plans with said friend. Originally we were going to have a little new years eve get together at our apartment, but my roommate doesn't even want to see this guys face (she mad). At this point the only alternative is I go to our friends place instead, alone, where it will be just me, him, and his girlfriend. That is not a good time to me. I would much rather spend the time with my roommate.

So how do I break off the plans with our friend without causing a bunch of extra crap? I don't want him to think I am mad too, and I don't want him to think my roommate has me "whipped" or anything. But I also don't want to say "I would rather hang out with my roommate" because that sounds kind of rude.
Tell him you want to be with your roommate and she doesn't want to be with him so you gotta bail.
__________________

Hacp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
mcvickj
Diamond Member
 
mcvickj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 4,561
Default

How about the truth? Sounds like your guy friend did something to piss her off. Tell him to man up and apologize then everyone can get together and have a good time.
__________________
Heatware
mcvickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Mike Gayner
Diamond Member
 
Mike Gayner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,179
Default

Jesus christ some people need to consult ATOT on the most petty issues, huh?
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
OCGuy
Lifer
 
OCGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: CA
Posts: 27,156
Default

A little white lie always works. This one one of my favorites:

"Sorry X, I cannot attend (pre-planned event) tonight. The reason is simple. My grandma is sick in the hospital with a rare strain of AIDS. Apparently she was hiking deep in the Congo bush in 2007, when her guide suddenly collapsed and died. Without knowing where to go, she was forced to live on her own in the wilderness for 30 days and 30 nights. Luckily, she thinks Bear Grylls is a stud, so she had seen the whole 1st season of Man v Wild 25 times.

After 6 lonely nights of rain and mosquito bites, she heard something rustling the bushes behind her make-shift shelter. Suddenly appeared a baffling sight: A monkey. Not just any monkey (according to her), but an extremely handsome one, "with an ass like Bear Grylls."

For the next 24 days, they spent each day gathering firewood, and each night making sweet passionate love in the moonlight. Finally, on the 30th day, she became so hungry, she had to snap his neck and eat him. The sad part is, immediately after she finished off the "good meat," a helicopter appeared overhead, and she was finally rescued.


Can we reschedule?
__________________
4670k @ 4.2
MSI Gaming GTX770 @ 1246/7500
OCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Nintendesert
Diamond Member
 
Nintendesert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LOLorado.
Posts: 7,761
Default

Good to know you're starting out the new year with drama and no testicles.
Nintendesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
CurseTheSky
Diamond Member
 
CurseTheSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,316
Default

Tell the person you've been struck with extreme sexual exhaustion and cannot attend.

If they tell you that they still expect you to be there, and you can just use your other arm / hand to shake hands with everyone, they've just laid the best burn of the new year on you and you are now unquestionably obligated to go.
__________________
We're all going to die someday, regardless of race, gender, beliefs, or any other differences.

The where, when, and how are things that we can try to control, but in the end, it's the mark that we leave on this world that we truly have power over.
CurseTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
Beev
Diamond Member
 
Beev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandEagle View Post
just cancel. don't start off 2011 by being a pussy
I don't feel like I am. I'm not afraid to tell him. I just don't want him to feel bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendesert View Post
Good to know you're starting out the new year with drama and no testicles.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner View Post
Jesus christ some people need to consult ATOT on the most petty issues, huh?
Obligatory "I'll be sure to consult you if I need any help finding the right hole on a sheep."

Basically, what I'm getting is that I shouldn't care about his feelings.
__________________
wat
Beev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
Matthiasa
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,127
Default

Well the longer you wait the worse it's going to be.
You know you could always just tell him the truth, I know a strange concept but sometimes it does work.
Matthiasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
Nintendesert
Diamond Member
 
Nintendesert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LOLorado.
Posts: 7,761
Default

Just tell him the damn truth then, "I want to spend the New Year with the chick that holds my balls and you pissed her off. Sorry bro, but she's a better lay than you."
Nintendesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
highland145
Lifer
 
highland145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: S.C.
Posts: 22,358
Default

I say cancel on both of them and go out with some other friends and get laid.

Or this
Quote:
Just tell him the damn truth then, "I want to spend the New Year with the chick that holds my balls and you pissed her off. Sorry bro, but she's a better lay than you."
__________________
C. B. W. 4/3/1937-10/17/2013
highland145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
Beev
Diamond Member
 
Beev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,777
Default

Told him the truth. He called me lame and told me to suck it up. I'm sure he'll get over it...
__________________
wat
Beev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #14
highland145
Lifer
 
highland145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: S.C.
Posts: 22,358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beev View Post
Told him the truth. He called me lame and told me to suck it up. I'm sure he'll get over it...
Was she pissed for a legitimate reason?
__________________
C. B. W. 4/3/1937-10/17/2013
highland145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.