· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
SirChadwick
Diamond Member

Default DirecTV Negotiating - anyone had luck?

I have had DirecTV going on 5 years now. Our contract has long expired and we are going to be upgrading our bedroom TV to a HDTV so I figured I would call to see what kind of deal we can get. I hear all the time about people getting free HD for 2 years and/or free HD receiver upgrades. While on the phone I talked with a nice lady, but getting her to budge was like moving a boulder. I told her we were considering switching to Comcast for a better deal now that we're out of contract, but would be willing to stick w/ DirecTV and a renew if she'd upgrade us to a HD receiver for free. She said she can't and that it would be $99 + the 2 yr renewal. So once again I mentioned switching to comcast and she wasn't phased. Is this typical with DirecTV? What's the best route to go about negotiating? Keep trying other reps? Would I be better off just buying a receiver on eBay or what not to keep from renewing my contract? Thx in advance guys/gals!
SirChadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Elganja
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirChadwick View Post
I have had DirecTV going on 5 years now. Our contract has long expired and we are going to be upgrading our bedroom TV to a HDTV so I figured I would call to see what kind of deal we can get. I hear all the time about people getting free HD for 2 years and/or free HD receiver upgrades. While on the phone I talked with a nice lady, but getting her to budge was like moving a boulder. I told her we were considering switching to Comcast for a better deal now that we're out of contract, but would be willing to stick w/ DirecTV and a renew if she'd upgrade us to a HD receiver for free. She said she can't and that it would be $99 + the 2 yr renewal. So once again I mentioned switching to comcast and she wasn't phased. Is this typical with DirecTV? What's the best route to go about negotiating? Keep trying other reps? Would I be better off just buying a receiver on eBay or what not to keep from renewing my contract? Thx in advance guys/gals!
i called recently, without any real trouble at all (literally asked once if they could do something) they offered 20 bucks off for 6 months + free HD for 6 months (so 30 bucks off a month)

not great, not bad, but I'm pretty happy with it.
2007 Creme Brulee Ford Edge
i7 990x @ 4.5GHz on water
Elganja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
PieIsAwesome
Diamond Member

"Hello, I'd like to cancel my DirecTV service."

That is how you get deals.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Marlin1975
Lifer

Try again, hang up, try again, etc... till you get what you want. Check out fatwallet or other sites to see what others get. That way you will not get less than others.

But also over the air has a lot of HD channels. Got rid of cable a long time ago and still have 30-40 channels.
Quote:
Originally posted by: spidey07
No muslims, no athiests, no gays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey07 View Post
I'm proud to be a racist now. VERY proud.
Marlin1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
HESDog
Golden Member

I agree with Marlin1975. Call back until you get a rep that is willing to deal. I am a long term DirecTV subscriber and I said I was going to switch to UVerse and they upgraded my standard DVR to HD-DVR, gave me free HD programming for 1-year, and they knocked $10 off per month for 12 months. They also threw in the Stars channel for 6 months and Showtime for 3 months.

I know a couple of other people who called in and said they wanted to save money and were given $10 off a month for 12 months.

Heat | '65 Stang | '66 Stang | '67 Stang
HESDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
SirChadwick
Diamond Member

I'll be persistent and keep on calling this week until I get it done. If they truly are not willing to negotiate, then I will most likely go ahead and make the switch to Comcast. I called up Comcast today and they already gave me a discount on internet just for asking - from $57.95 to $29.99 for 6 months.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
weadjust

If you sign up for auto pay they will give you free HD for 24 months.
weadjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
BoomerD
Lifer

Find yourself a Comcast outside salesman. They offer the Comcast Alchemy package...you can't get it directly from Comcast.

$89/month for 240 channels,(includes HD and HBO) 16 Mb internet, unlimited phone service.
I have to "rent" the HDR and modem, total bill with taxes and fees, $110/mo.

The HDR interface sucks however. MUCH worse than Dish or Uverse...but IMO, the service has been better than Uverse, and is comparable to Dish.
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
mesthead21
Platinum Member

Yes it is super easy to do. I got the sunday ticket + superfan for 150 bucks. That package normally is around 300 bucks
Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
Marlin1975
Lifer

OP read this thread to see if it helps you...

DirecTV with $10 off for 24 months HD credit for EXISTING customers -- No questions asked
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1009598/
Quote:
Originally posted by: spidey07
No muslims, no athiests, no gays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey07 View Post
I'm proud to be a racist now. VERY proud.
Marlin1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
PrinceofWands
Lifer

We just decided to drop em. They were great for the first 3 months, then the channel drops and price hikes hit. We've had 3 rate increases this year alone (while still inside our initial contract), and have lost just over 6% of our channels. Called to complain, got a stone wall, so fuck em.

Was part of a bundle through Qwest, and they suck even harder than DTV, so won't miss the dsl a bit either. Phone is fine, if spendy, but everything else is ass.

Unfortunately Comcrap is the devil, so they're not an option either. That basically means we're out of the TV business permanently, and these companies have ONLY themselves to blame.

Prices on American communication goods border on rape and I'm tired of supporting these assholes.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #12
SirChadwick
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin1975 View Post
OP read this thread to see if it helps you...

DirecTV with $10 off for 24 months HD credit for EXISTING customers -- No questions asked
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1009598/
Thanks for that link. I actually just got off the phone with DirecTV and finally found a guy willing to help me out. He is getting me 24 months of free HD and upgrading us to another HD receiver free also, in addition to upgrading my package and taking an anotherl $10 off the premium - a 2 year contract renewal was necessary however... but I can deal with it since they are the best option in our area.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
SirChadwick
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieIsAwesome View Post
"Hello, I'd like to cancel my DirecTV service."

That is how you get deals.
That is the EXACT route I ended up taking. Thx AT for saving me $$$ yet again.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
richardycc
Diamond Member

They treat their existing customers like crap...I had to go one step further and cancelled DirecTV to get the deal. I scheduled the cutoff date 2 weeks later, within a few days, someone from DirecTV called and begged me to cancel the cancellation. They credited my account with $140 and 3 months free showtime.

Press F1 to continue, or DEL to enter setup.
richardycc is offline   Reply With Quote