Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > Software for Windows

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
LongTimePCUser
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 471
Question Can I run both IE8 and IE9 on one PC?

I am curious about IE9 beta.
But, I have to have IE8 on my PC in Win 7 because I am managing a web site and need to be able to make sure it works in IE8.

I am actually keeping an old laptop running XP so that I can run IE6 and IE7. IE6 is a problem for css designed web sites. But, I know that I have a few people hitting my site with IE6.

Can I run both IE8 and IE9 on one PC?
LongTimePCUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Gooberlx2
Lifer
 
Gooberlx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 14,879
Default

I don't think so. It replaced IE8 on my PCs.
Gooberlx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
GaryJohnson
Senior Member
 
GaryJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: República de Tejas
Posts: 940
Default

@LongTimePCUser
Have you considered running virtual machines?
GaryJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
Leros
Lifer
 
Leros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,648
Default

You shouldn't need IE8. If you open the Developer Toolbar (press F12), you can set it to use IE9, IE8, or IE7 mode.
Leros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
pcslookout
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimePCUser View Post
I am curious about IE9 beta.
But, I have to have IE8 on my PC in Win 7 because I am managing a web site and need to be able to make sure it works in IE8.

I am actually keeping an old laptop running XP so that I can run IE6 and IE7. IE6 is a problem for css designed web sites. But, I know that I have a few people hitting my site with IE6.

Can I run both IE8 and IE9 on one PC?
Yes you can quite easily.

You can even run IE7, IE8 and IE9 all at the same time on one pc if you really need to.
pcslookout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
GaryJohnson
Senior Member
 
GaryJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: República de Tejas
Posts: 940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcslookout View Post
Yes you can quite easily.

You can even run IE7, IE8 and IE9 all at the same time on one pc if you really need to.
I believe he was looking for an explanation and not a confirmation.
GaryJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
LongTimePCUser
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leros View Post
You shouldn't need IE8. If you open the Developer Toolbar (press F12), you can set it to use IE9, IE8, or IE7 mode.
I will try this.
LongTimePCUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ie8, ie9 beta

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.