· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Imported
Lifer

Default There some danger to giving out a VIN number?

I've been looking at Miatas for a while now to turn into a track car.. Saw a good deal on one with low mileage, etc. However the seller insists I see it in person and will not provide me with the VIN number to run an AutoCheck. Since the car is a few hours away, I'm not wasting my time with that and am looking elsewhere. That said.. there something I don't know about when you give out a VIN? Every other seller I've been in contact with has provided them readily.

Last edited by allisolm; 10-04-2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: old thread
Old 11-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
woodie1
Diamond Member

Any seller who won't provide a VIN would be suspect in my book. I guess a scammer could use the VIN to advertise said car as his own in hopes of getting someone to wire him money for a car he doesn't have.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
jlee
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie1 View Post
Any seller who won't provide a VIN would be suspect in my book. I guess a scammer could use the VIN to advertise said car as his own in hopes of getting someone to wire him money for a car he doesn't have.
Yep - but a scammer could also walk into a random parking lot, take pictures, and write down the VIN from the windshield/dash spot and do the same thing.

If he won't give you the VIN, tell him you'll buy from someone who's not sketchy.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
razor2025
Diamond Member

Anyone who doesn't give out VIN to potential buyer is either..

1) There's something wrong with the car and it'll show up on Carfax, hence reluctance to give out.

2) Clueless idiot who doesn't know anything about selling car.

I'd avoid either of those. But #2 might be a nice gamble.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Bignate603
Lifer

Go see car, copy down VIN. If he freaks out about that you don't want to deal with him.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
soccerballtux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignate603 View Post
Go see car, copy down VIN. If he freaks out about that you don't want to deal with him.
He could just be clueless. Don't listen to everything you hear on the internet. If I had, I wouldn't have gotten the amazing deal car that I got now. 2006 scion tc with a 2008 engine that had 12k on it for $7k. Rebuilt title had people fussing like nobody's business. It was going to cost me almost twice that to get a clean title with 7x the miles. Best deal of my life.

long/short: If it weren't so far away I'd def go check it out.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
thescreensavers
Diamond Member

Since they are 3 hours away, Vin Number or bust.

I agree with everyone in this thread, either something will show up or he has no idea..

WRB 2013 Subaru WRX Hatch
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
IcePickFreak
Platinum Member

Yeah chances are there's something not so desireable on a carfax type report. The car may be in great condition regardless so he wants you to see it before you write it off. Being that he's a few hours away though it's a gamble to even go check it out. Ask if why he doesn't want to give it out and explain that you're a few hours away so your not going to come see it with no background on it. If he doesn't want to cooperate just move on.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
Imported
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePickFreak View Post
Yeah chances are there's something not so desireable on a carfax type report. The car may be in great condition regardless so he wants you to see it before you write it off. Being that he's a few hours away though it's a gamble to even go check it out. Ask if why he doesn't want to give it out and explain that you're a few hours away so your not going to come see it with no background on it. If he doesn't want to cooperate just move on.
I tried explaining. Didn't budge so I'm moving on. Who knew trying to find a decent condition '94 or '95 Miata could be so much work.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
Squisher
Lifer

I would say there is a 80% chance the guy is wearing a virtual tinfoil hat and worried about giving out any information over the internets or over the phone. 20% are scammers trying to hide something.

Remember you're only a couple steps away from taking out a mortgage in his name and having carnal knowledge of his wife if he gives you the VIN.
A couple of goofs.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
Strk
Diamond Member

That kind of reminds me of people who blur our license plate numbers in pictures.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
HarryLui
Golden Member

Listing out all that mods you have with your car and putting out your location is way more dangerous than given out the VIN number.

My Heatware
Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
Imported
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strk View Post
That kind of reminds me of people who blur our license plate numbers in pictures.
I used to do that.. now I don't care. There's plenty of photos of my car from autocrossing out there now.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #14
jlee
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported View Post
I used to do that.. now I don't care. There's plenty of photos of my car from autocrossing out there now.
Yeah, me too....now they're even in my sig.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
kornphlake
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
I would say there is a 80% chance the guy is wearing a virtual tinfoil hat and worried about giving out any information over the internets or over the phone. 20% are scammers trying to hide something.
A guy I work with is selling a car and someone called last week asking for his VIN number. My co-worker literally put the guy on hold and came to ask me if there was any danger in giving out a VIN. I suggested it was no more dangerous than parking the car in public where anybody could copy the VIN off the dash. It was a little strange that the buyer claimed he needed the VIN to send to the bank as part of the credit application, neither of us had applied for an auto loan on a vehicle sold by a private party so we weren't sure if this was part of the application or not. Even days later he's concerned that somehow this guy is going to forge a bill of sale and request a replacement title from the state then steal it from his driveway.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #16
jlee
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
A guy I work with is selling a car and someone called last week asking for his VIN number. My co-worker literally put the guy on hold and came to ask me if there was any danger in giving out a VIN. I suggested it was no more dangerous than parking the car in public where anybody could copy the VIN off the dash. It was a little strange that the buyer claimed he needed the VIN to send to the bank as part of the credit application, neither of us had applied for an auto loan on a vehicle sold by a private party so we weren't sure if this was part of the application or not. Even days later he's concerned that somehow this guy is going to forge a bill of sale and request a replacement title from the state then steal it from his driveway.
The VIN may have been for an NADA/etc check on the vehicle's book value..? I dunno.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #17
alkemyst
No Lifer

The main danger of a VIN number is you can usually get the key made at any dealership for cars made in the last decade.

They are not supposed to do this without proof of ownership, however; some chick on the news batted nearly 100% from getting keys made without even presenting an ID from several dealers.

Someone selling a car would need to make an exception though in this risk.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #18
jlee
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
The main danger of a VIN number is you can usually get the key made at any dealership for cars made in the last decade.

They are not supposed to do this without proof of ownership, however; some chick on the news batted nearly 100% from getting keys made without even presenting an ID from several dealers.

Good point - but again, someone could walk through a parking lot and do the same thing.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #19
alkemyst
No Lifer

The main difference is in a parking lot that is transient. At someone's home you know where it's going to be and that several other's are also looking.

It's a rarity, but it has happened.

Also most older cars without keyless can be opened with generic keys anyway.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #20
halik
Lifer

Quote:

Well if you get the keys made, then you'd have to actually find the car from the craigslist ad. Might as well do that to the M5 that always parks in the same spot on the street/parking lot etc.
It seems like people want to bend reality any way they wish. Jobs are created by economic activity, and this economic activity happens because of self-made people of all races and colors that are motivated by greed. The sooner we understand it the better we are.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #21
exar333
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
The VIN may have been for an NADA/etc check on the vehicle's book value..? I dunno.
This. A couple cars back, my bank wanted the VIN before formally approving the credit application. Plus, your insurance company usually needs the VIN as well, if you want to get the car listed under you before you take delivery.
4670K @ 4.0 Ghz w/ CM 212
GTX 670 @ 1250Core/6772mhz memory
3440x1440 LG 34UM95 QHD Display
Old 11-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #22
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by halik View Post
Well if you get the keys made, then you'd have to actually find the car from the craigslist ad. Might as well do that to the M5 that always parks in the same spot on the street/parking lot etc.
right....however, much of the time it's after the buyer has looked at the car at least in person.

I am saying it's a long shot still, no need to go through all the permutations. The topic was 'danger in giving out a VIN'.

Getting keys made is probably the #1 reason most are hesitant.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #23
CraigRT
Lifer

What could the danger be? Do you park your car outside ever?

People can just walk up and record it, unless you are worried about it and cover it up on your dash..
Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #24
Zenmervolt
Supermoderator
The Garage
Elite member

Quote:
right....however, much of the time it's after the buyer has looked at the car at least in person.
Which is why you always meet buyers at a neutral location.

ZV

TANSTAAFL
Old 11-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #25
JCH13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported View Post
I tried explaining. Didn't budge so I'm moving on. Who knew trying to find a decent condition '94 or '95 Miata could be so much work.
Tell me about it... [thread derail] though I finally found a Miata that I'm very excited about, picking it up this Sunday and selling my old one.[/thread derail] Good luck in your search! Tell sellers you do not really care if there's a rebuilt/salvage title, if it's for auto-x no big deal. If it's a flood title though... x.x

Experience is knowing you were an idiot. Common sense is trying not be an idiot. Wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
Closed Thread