Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > The Garage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Imported
Lifer
 
Imported's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 13,348
Default There some danger to giving out a VIN number?

I've been looking at Miatas for a while now to turn into a track car.. Saw a good deal on one with low mileage, etc. However the seller insists I see it in person and will not provide me with the VIN number to run an AutoCheck. Since the car is a few hours away, I'm not wasting my time with that and am looking elsewhere. That said.. there something I don't know about when you give out a VIN? Every other seller I've been in contact with has provided them readily.
__________________
psn: ntrinsik

Last edited by allisolm; 10-04-2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: old thread
Imported is offline  
Old 11-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
woodie1
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 28░ 27' 20"N 98░ 16' 20"W
Posts: 5,947
Default

Any seller who won't provide a VIN would be suspect in my book. I guess a scammer could use the VIN to advertise said car as his own in hopes of getting someone to wire him money for a car he doesn't have.
woodie1 is offline  
Old 11-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
jlee
Lifer
 
jlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 43,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie1 View Post
Any seller who won't provide a VIN would be suspect in my book. I guess a scammer could use the VIN to advertise said car as his own in hopes of getting someone to wire him money for a car he doesn't have.
Yep - but a scammer could also walk into a random parking lot, take pictures, and write down the VIN from the windshield/dash spot and do the same thing.

If he won't give you the VIN, tell him you'll buy from someone who's not sketchy.
__________________
Heat Tacoma MR2 LX450
jlee is offline  
Old 11-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
razor2025
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,010
Default

Anyone who doesn't give out VIN to potential buyer is either..

1) There's something wrong with the car and it'll show up on Carfax, hence reluctance to give out.

2) Clueless idiot who doesn't know anything about selling car.

I'd avoid either of those. But #2 might be a nice gamble.
razor2025 is offline  
Old 11-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Bignate603
Lifer
 
Bignate603's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 13,900
Default

Go see car, copy down VIN. If he freaks out about that you don't want to deal with him.
__________________
Ugly can be fixed,stupid is forever.
AnandTech Moderator
Bignate603 is offline  
Old 11-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
soccerballtux
Diamond Member
 
soccerballtux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 9,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignate603 View Post
Go see car, copy down VIN. If he freaks out about that you don't want to deal with him.
He could just be clueless. Don't listen to everything you hear on the internet. If I had, I wouldn't have gotten the amazing deal car that I got now. 2006 scion tc with a 2008 engine that had 12k on it for $7k. Rebuilt title had people fussing like nobody's business. It was going to cost me almost twice that to get a clean title with 7x the miles. Best deal of my life.

long/short: If it weren't so far away I'd def go check it out.
__________________
HOW TO nested quote
Install this into Firefox then click this, then click "quote" as usual, then click "Nested Quote" to the right of the title bar.
4.0Ghz&2.6Ghz-CPU-NB Ph2-965BE || GA790X-UD4P 8GB DDR800 || Gigabyte GTX670 || Soyo 24" PMVA Heatware
soccerballtux is offline  
Old 11-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
thescreensavers
Diamond Member
 
thescreensavers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Miami,FL
Posts: 9,779
Default

Since they are 3 hours away, Vin Number or bust.

I agree with everyone in this thread, either something will show up or he has no idea..
__________________
Tech TV Tribute

WRB 2013 Subaru WRX Hatch
thescreensavers is offline  
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
IcePickFreak
Platinum Member
 
IcePickFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default

Yeah chances are there's something not so desireable on a carfax type report. The car may be in great condition regardless so he wants you to see it before you write it off. Being that he's a few hours away though it's a gamble to even go check it out. Ask if why he doesn't want to give it out and explain that you're a few hours away so your not going to come see it with no background on it. If he doesn't want to cooperate just move on.
__________________
The End
IcePickFreak is offline  
Old 11-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
Imported
Lifer
 
Imported's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 13,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePickFreak View Post
Yeah chances are there's something not so desireable on a carfax type report. The car may be in great condition regardless so he wants you to see it before you write it off. Being that he's a few hours away though it's a gamble to even go check it out. Ask if why he doesn't want to give it out and explain that you're a few hours away so your not going to come see it with no background on it. If he doesn't want to cooperate just move on.
I tried explaining. Didn't budge so I'm moving on. Who knew trying to find a decent condition '94 or '95 Miata could be so much work.
__________________
psn: ntrinsik
Imported is offline  
Old 11-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
Squisher
Lifer
 
Squisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Belleville, MI
Posts: 20,774
Default

I would say there is a 80% chance the guy is wearing a virtual tinfoil hat and worried about giving out any information over the internets or over the phone. 20% are scammers trying to hide something.

Remember you're only a couple steps away from taking out a mortgage in his name and having carnal knowledge of his wife if he gives you the VIN.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by: electron
Forget P&N, we need a new forum for this. I recommend naming it "Cuckoo's Nest"
A couple of goofs.
Squisher is offline  
Old 11-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
Strk
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,640
Default

That kind of reminds me of people who blur our license plate numbers in pictures.
Strk is online now  
Old 11-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
HarryLui
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,253
Default

Listing out all that mods you have with your car and putting out your location is way more dangerous than given out the VIN number.
__________________
85 GLH
94 855

My Heatware
HarryLui is offline  
Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
Imported
Lifer
 
Imported's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 13,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strk View Post
That kind of reminds me of people who blur our license plate numbers in pictures.
I used to do that.. now I don't care. There's plenty of photos of my car from autocrossing out there now.
__________________
psn: ntrinsik
Imported is offline  
Old 11-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #14
jlee
Lifer
 
jlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 43,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported View Post
I used to do that.. now I don't care. There's plenty of photos of my car from autocrossing out there now.
Yeah, me too....now they're even in my sig.
__________________
Heat Tacoma MR2 LX450
jlee is offline  
Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
kornphlake
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squisher View Post
I would say there is a 80% chance the guy is wearing a virtual tinfoil hat and worried about giving out any information over the internets or over the phone. 20% are scammers trying to hide something.
A guy I work with is selling a car and someone called last week asking for his VIN number. My co-worker literally put the guy on hold and came to ask me if there was any danger in giving out a VIN. I suggested it was no more dangerous than parking the car in public where anybody could copy the VIN off the dash. It was a little strange that the buyer claimed he needed the VIN to send to the bank as part of the credit application, neither of us had applied for an auto loan on a vehicle sold by a private party so we weren't sure if this was part of the application or not. Even days later he's concerned that somehow this guy is going to forge a bill of sale and request a replacement title from the state then steal it from his driveway.
kornphlake is offline  
Old 11-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #16
jlee
Lifer
 
jlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 43,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornphlake View Post
A guy I work with is selling a car and someone called last week asking for his VIN number. My co-worker literally put the guy on hold and came to ask me if there was any danger in giving out a VIN. I suggested it was no more dangerous than parking the car in public where anybody could copy the VIN off the dash. It was a little strange that the buyer claimed he needed the VIN to send to the bank as part of the credit application, neither of us had applied for an auto loan on a vehicle sold by a private party so we weren't sure if this was part of the application or not. Even days later he's concerned that somehow this guy is going to forge a bill of sale and request a replacement title from the state then steal it from his driveway.
The VIN may have been for an NADA/etc check on the vehicle's book value..? I dunno.
__________________
Heat Tacoma MR2 LX450
jlee is offline  
Old 11-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #17
alkemyst
No Lifer
 
alkemyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Corner of EPIC and ┼WESOME ST.
Posts: 78,819
Default

The main danger of a VIN number is you can usually get the key made at any dealership for cars made in the last decade.

They are not supposed to do this without proof of ownership, however; some chick on the news batted nearly 100% from getting keys made without even presenting an ID from several dealers.

Someone selling a car would need to make an exception though in this risk.
__________________
The Masamune blade would repel the leaves and let them flow safely down the stream, while the Murasame blade would attract and cut them up.
alkemyst is offline  
Old 11-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #18
jlee
Lifer
 
jlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 43,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
The main danger of a VIN number is you can usually get the key made at any dealership for cars made in the last decade.

They are not supposed to do this without proof of ownership, however; some chick on the news batted nearly 100% from getting keys made without even presenting an ID from several dealers.

Someone selling a car would need to make an exception though in this risk.
Good point - but again, someone could walk through a parking lot and do the same thing.
__________________
Heat Tacoma MR2 LX450
jlee is offline  
Old 11-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #19
alkemyst
No Lifer
 
alkemyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Corner of EPIC and ┼WESOME ST.
Posts: 78,819
Default

The main difference is in a parking lot that is transient. At someone's home you know where it's going to be and that several other's are also looking.

It's a rarity, but it has happened.

Also most older cars without keyless can be opened with generic keys anyway.
__________________
The Masamune blade would repel the leaves and let them flow safely down the stream, while the Murasame blade would attract and cut them up.
alkemyst is offline  
Old 11-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #20
halik
Lifer
 
halik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 24,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
The main danger of a VIN number is you can usually get the key made at any dealership for cars made in the last decade.

They are not supposed to do this without proof of ownership, however; some chick on the news batted nearly 100% from getting keys made without even presenting an ID from several dealers.

Someone selling a car would need to make an exception though in this risk.
Well if you get the keys made, then you'd have to actually find the car from the craigslist ad. Might as well do that to the M5 that always parks in the same spot on the street/parking lot etc.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamurAchzar View Post
It seems like people want to bend reality any way they wish. Jobs are created by economic activity, and this economic activity happens because of self-made people of all races and colors that are motivated by greed. The sooner we understand it the better we are.
halik is offline  
Old 11-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #21
exar333
Diamond Member
 
exar333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 6,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
The VIN may have been for an NADA/etc check on the vehicle's book value..? I dunno.
This. A couple cars back, my bank wanted the VIN before formally approving the credit application. Plus, your insurance company usually needs the VIN as well, if you want to get the car listed under you before you take delivery.
__________________
My Cars:
-2011 DGM WRX Limited
My [Interim as I wait for Haswell-E] Rig:
4670K @ 4.0 Ghz w/ CM 212
GTX 670 @ 1250Core/6772mhz memory
3440x1440 LG 34UM95 QHD Display
exar333 is offline  
Old 11-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #22
alkemyst
No Lifer
 
alkemyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Corner of EPIC and ┼WESOME ST.
Posts: 78,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halik View Post
Well if you get the keys made, then you'd have to actually find the car from the craigslist ad. Might as well do that to the M5 that always parks in the same spot on the street/parking lot etc.
right....however, much of the time it's after the buyer has looked at the car at least in person.

I am saying it's a long shot still, no need to go through all the permutations. The topic was 'danger in giving out a VIN'.

Getting keys made is probably the #1 reason most are hesitant.
__________________
The Masamune blade would repel the leaves and let them flow safely down the stream, while the Murasame blade would attract and cut them up.
alkemyst is offline  
Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #23
CraigRT
Lifer
 
CraigRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 31,443
Default

What could the danger be? Do you park your car outside ever?

People can just walk up and record it, unless you are worried about it and cover it up on your dash..
__________________
My Cannondale
My Specialized
CraigRT is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #24
Zenmervolt
Supermoderator
The Garage
Elite member
 
Zenmervolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 24,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
right....however, much of the time it's after the buyer has looked at the car at least in person.
Which is why you always meet buyers at a neutral location.

ZV
__________________
Futures and Options

TANSTAAFL
Zenmervolt is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #25
JCH13
Diamond Member
 
JCH13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 4,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported View Post
I tried explaining. Didn't budge so I'm moving on. Who knew trying to find a decent condition '94 or '95 Miata could be so much work.
Tell me about it... [thread derail] though I finally found a Miata that I'm very excited about, picking it up this Sunday and selling my old one.[/thread derail] Good luck in your search! Tell sellers you do not really care if there's a rebuilt/salvage title, if it's for auto-x no big deal. If it's a flood title though... x.x
__________________
2009 Mazdaspeed3 - DD
1991 Turbo Miata - Toy
1991 NA MR2 - Other Toy

Experience is knowing you were an idiot. Common sense is trying not be an idiot. Wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
JCH13 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.