Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > The Garage

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Bartman39
Super Moderator
Elite Member
For Sale/Trade
The Garage
 
Bartman39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Just moved to a tent down by the river (van got repo'd)
Posts: 7,778
Default Wonder when Paramagnetic paint will be on the market...?

Saw this was an older article (2007) but wonder when it will be on the market...? Cool idea but take it a bit farther with being able to do graphics possibly by designing it on your PC and just pop in a memory card and bam/boom instant cool graphics and such...? Hell even advertise for someone...?


http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/09/p...lor-on-a-whim/

http://inventorspot.com/articles/col...ch_mood_m_8557
__________________
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. (Mark Twain)


HEATWARE
Bartman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Sluggo
Lifer
 
Sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 15,495
Default

Whenever I watched Johnny Dangerously years ago, I always wondered why cars didn't have paint similar to shelf paper that you could just peel off and replace.




Fargin' Iceholes
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
JulesMaximus
No Lifer
 
JulesMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Diego (aka Literbike, CA)
Posts: 67,668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman39 View Post
Saw this was an older article (2007) but wonder when it will be on the market...? Cool idea but take it a bit farther with being able to do graphics possibly by designing it on your PC and just pop in a memory card and bam/boom instant cool graphics and such...? Hell even advertise for someone...?


http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/09/p...lor-on-a-whim/

http://inventorspot.com/articles/col...ch_mood_m_8557
Fuck that. Nothing is more lame than some douche bag advertising their business all over their car and I'm sure as hell not going to plaster my car with advertisements. I have zero bumper stickers on my car and one tiny Campagnolo decal on my roof rack.
__________________
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
IcePickFreak
Platinum Member
 
IcePickFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default

"That wasn't me officer, you're looking for a red car, mine is blue."

Also, I have yet to see actual photos. The first generation of this will probably look like crap. Remember the first prismatic paint? 90% of the vehicle looks a muddy, ugly, brown, and you catch one little section moving across the car as it drives by that's a normal color.
__________________
The End

Last edited by IcePickFreak; 11-14-2010 at 12:10 AM.
IcePickFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
speedy2
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,294
Default

If this is an OEM paint, I can just imagine what the insurance companies will want to charge for collision coverage. lol
__________________
Heat
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
PottedMeat
Lifer
 
PottedMeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,510
Default

I would imagine the cheapest would be an entire car a single shiftable color. As for advertising, you'd need an extremely expensive and large electrode array, something like a flexible bendable LCD.
PottedMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Tristicus
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 8,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
Fuck that. Nothing is more lame than some douche bag advertising their business all over their car and I'm sure as hell not going to plaster my car with advertisements. I have zero bumper stickers on my car and one tiny Campagnolo decal on my roof rack.
Awwwhhh, you mad bro?

I think I'll put some Dr. Pepper emblems all over my car and sit it in front of your house.
Tristicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Bartman39
Super Moderator
Elite Member
For Sale/Trade
The Garage
 
Bartman39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Just moved to a tent down by the river (van got repo'd)
Posts: 7,778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
Fuck that. Nothing is more lame than some douche bag advertising their business all over their car and I'm sure as hell not going to plaster my car with advertisements. I have zero bumper stickers on my car and one tiny Campagnolo decal on my roof rack.

Jules... What I meant was for trucks and such not private auto`s... I agree with ya I hate almost anything except a nice clean single color paint job... I want to remove the Dmax & HD2500 badges from my truck but a bit worried the paint might come off with them but might try it with a heat gun...? Would even remove the trim molding but then would have to part in BFE so idiots would`nt ding the heck out of it...

PottedMeatI would imagine the cheapest would be an entire car a single shiftable color. As for advertising, you'd need an extremely expensive and large electrode array, something like a flexible bendable LCD.

PottedMeat... That is already a reality its just a fixed color but very cool...

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...hameleon+paint
__________________
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. (Mark Twain)


HEATWARE
Bartman39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
IcePickFreak
Platinum Member
 
IcePickFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman39 View Post
Jules... What I meant was for trucks and such not private auto`s... I agree with ya I hate almost anything except a nice clean single color paint job... I want to remove the Dmax & HD2500 badges from my truck but a bit worried the paint might come off with them but might try it with a heat gun...? Would even remove the trim molding but then would have to part in BFE so idiots would`nt ding the heck out of it...

PottedMeatI would imagine the cheapest would be an entire car a single shiftable color. As for advertising, you'd need an extremely expensive and large electrode array, something like a flexible bendable LCD.

PottedMeat... That is already a reality its just a fixed color but very cool...

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...hameleon+paint
Heat gun and fishing line. Then use some goo gone to clean up the residue. Do it before a wash/wax though as you'll strip any wax off the area.
__________________
The End
IcePickFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.