Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 10-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
VirtualLarry
Lifer

Default what does it mean when your laptop says "plugged in, not charging" in win7

Using the factory-supplied charged on my Emachines E627. Win7 HP 64-bit.

Laptop was unplugged and turned off. I plugged it in, and turned it on. Could have sworn it said "charging", initially. But now it says it is at 94% capacity, but not charging.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Laptop is less than a year old.

Edit: I hibernated, pulled the plug, removed the battery, reattached the battery, connected the AC plug, and turned it back on, and now it says that it's at 100%.

Perhaps the problem was that it was in fact fully charged, but windows reported that it was only at 94% somehow.
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec

Last edited by VirtualLarry; 10-31-2010 at 10:01 PM.
VirtualLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

I think they don't charge if you are near 100%, to avoid wearing out the battery from constant trickle charging if you're usually on AC power.

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
jvroig
Super Moderator
Elite Member

I see the same behavior with my laptops (old HP Pavilion, MSI Wind) even 3-4 years ago with Windows XP. When it's close to 100%, it won't start charging. I usually have to let it drop to close to 90% before it does, otherwise at high 90s it just doesn't start charging.
jvroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
corkyg
Peripherals

As Zap indicates, that is by design to protect the battery from constantly charging when plugged in. That would shorten battery life. So, there is a threshhold designed into the chargingb system. I have observed this on 6 different l;aptops I have owned, including my current two Lenovos.

The only time I regularly use my laptop is when I travel. When at home I run them every few days to keep them sync'd and updated. I keep the battery removed and stored at about 50%, and run only on the A/C adapter.

My observations show the charging threshhold to be in the low 90% region. IOW, what you report is perfectly normal.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
jvroig
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Oh yes, of course, it's a protective function for the battery. I figured out as much when I first saw it happen and saw that it was consistent and repeatable.

I was merely throwing my own anecdote, using a different OS (XP) and two different laptops (one much older, and one more recent) for VirtualLarry, to reiterate that it is normal and by design as Zap mentioned.
jvroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
xibanezrg5x

Default not true

this may be true but in my case it isnt. i also have the e627 and it shows 0% not charging. i need help
xibanezrg5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
corkyg
Peripherals

0% Not Charging can be one of four things. 1. A dead battery 2. A faulty A/C adapter 3. A bad charging circuit on the mobo 4. A bad connector

The most common one is 1. 2 and 3 can be eliminated by removing the battery completely and running on A/C power only.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
Old 02-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
wirednuts
Diamond Member

it can also be a tripped monitoring circuit on the battery. if something happened to the battery that the battery didnt like (100's of causes) then it simply wont let anything charge it.
wirednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
corkyg
Peripherals

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirednuts View Post
it can also be a tripped monitoring circuit on the battery. if something happened to the battery that the battery didnt like (100's of causes) then it simply wont let anything charge it.
Good point. Is there a fix for that condition? If not, it is just another form of "dead."

Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
xibanezrg5x

Unhappy

well could the battery be toast?, it runs off the A/C power so i dont think its the adapter but the orange light on the outside keeps blinking on and off. as soon as i unplug it, it automatically dies
xibanezrg5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #11
hans007
Lifer

thats a good thing. most batteries wont charge when they are 90% plus to protect them from being destroyed.

i had a dell d620 at work that DID not have this sort of protection. had it plugged into a dock all year and just assumed it would have it, finally had to go to a business trip and use the laptop.... totally dead.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #12
wirednuts
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xibanezrg5x View Post
well could the battery be toast?, it runs off the A/C power so i dont think its the adapter but the orange light on the outside keeps blinking on and off. as soon as i unplug it, it automatically dies
if you left the laptop unplugged for long enough, and the battery went totally flat, then it very well might be dead. one of the safety circuits is too low of voltage. it can permanently disable the battery pack, and the only way to fix it is send it in to have the firmware reflashed. and even sometimes the battery pack will disable the flashing ability of the chip (in severe alarm faults) resulting in a battery pack that will never work again no matter what.

your cheapest route is probably to buy a generic battery for $30 on ebay, and see if that charges. if it does, then you know your old pack is fried.

in my case, ive taken the cells out of these so-called "dead" batteries and used them in other projects... but its not the safe thing to do.
wirednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
ascent1729

On my old Dell Latitude D820, I had the problem that the AC adapter would keep the computer on but wouldn't charge the battery. After letting the computer discharge on battery power to, say, 75%, the battery level would stay there even after plugging it in. In my particular case, Ubuntu would make the power icon disappear because the AC adapter was plugged in, while Windows 7 would show the battery at its true level. If you used the computer unplugged until it reached a lower level, like 50%, then the same symptoms would result, except that the battery would not charge higher than 50%. Since I used this computer mostly on the AC adapter, only really unplugging it when it was suspended, it took me a month or two to really diagnose what was going on.

It turned out that the old AC adapter was faulty, so I bought a new generic adapter. That particular adapter didn't work for very long, so I eventually bought a genuine Dell adapter online and it fixed the problem for good.
ascent1729 is offline   Reply With Quote