Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > All Things Apple

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
finbarqs
Diamond Member
 
finbarqs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: West Covina, CA
Posts: 3,592
Default Bought ipad on ebay, can't figure out lock code

I just purchased an iPad off ebay, and it has a lock code on it. I can't contact the guy for anything, and now I'm just trying to hard reset this ipad. I've tried the "hold the sleep button" and the "Home" button for 10 seconds, but it just comes up to the same lock screen code (assuming that it needs the code to hard reset)

Of course, I'm not the original computer. Is this apple's way of copy protection? Or is there a way where I can hard reset this ipad?
finbarqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Ka0t1x
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,716
Default

Plug it up to iTunes and then click "Restore" it will start it back at factory settings with the latest firmware.
__________________
heat
Ka0t1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
sjwaste
Diamond Member
 
sjwaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 8,742
Default

Ha, congratulations, you bought a stolen ipad? Does plugging it into itunes show any of the owner's info, and does it match the seller's?

I don't know, I'd feel the need to report that to Ebay if it were obviously stolen.
sjwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
finbarqs
Diamond Member
 
finbarqs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: West Covina, CA
Posts: 3,592
Default

figured it out.... I need to put the ipad into "recovery mode"... then all is good. Yeah...I'm pretty sure it was stolen..
finbarqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Narse
Moderator
Computer Help
 
Narse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Mobile
Posts: 3,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarqs View Post
figured it out.... I need to put the ipad into "recovery mode"... then all is good. Yeah...I'm pretty sure it was stolen..
Shouldn't you report that to ebay etc instead of doing a restore and making it more difficult to find the owner?
__________________
HEAT
Narse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
KeypoX
Diamond Member
 
KeypoX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarqs View Post
figured it out.... I need to put the ipad into "recovery mode"... then all is good. Yeah...I'm pretty sure it was stolen..
How are you sure its stolen?
KeypoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
dmw16
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 7,586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarqs View Post
figured it out.... I need to put the ipad into "recovery mode"... then all is good. Yeah...I'm pretty sure it was stolen..
I think you should report this to eBay and/or local authorities.
__________________
My Heatware
dmw16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
sourceninja
Diamond Member
 
sourceninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,867
Default

Especially report it because you have said on a public forum you think it is stolen. Last thing you want is for the police to find the guy, track you down, see you knew it was stolen and charge you with possession.
sourceninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
dud
Diamond Member
 
dud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The edge of tomorrow
Posts: 6,470
Default

Link to auction?
__________________
Talking about politics on the AT forums is like sticking your hand in a Fire Ant mound. The ants enjoy it while you endure painful stings.
dud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
alkemyst
No Lifer
 
alkemyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Corner of EPIC and ┼WESOME ST.
Posts: 79,012
Default

fuckers buying stolen goods....FTMFL
__________________
The Masamune blade would repel the leaves and let them flow safely down the stream, while the Murasame blade would attract and cut them up.
alkemyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
Patranus
Diamond Member
 
Patranus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,240
Default

Not to mention that every time you connect to an Apple service your Apple ID is associated with a stolen serial number.

Not sure if Apple does help the authorities or not but it would sure be an easy way to get caught.
Patranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
finbarqs
Diamond Member
 
finbarqs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: West Covina, CA
Posts: 3,592
Default

the reason why I think it was stolen is because the guy is not contacting me back. Those are the only assumptions I have. I don't have hard evidence it's stolen, but that's what I suspect it to be.

#1 i'm going to report this to ebay regarding my suspicion of purchasing stolen goods.
#2 i don't want to be out an ipad, but this is the right thing to do, and I did pay a lot of money for it. (64GB wifi)
finbarqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
TheStu
Moderator
Mobile Devices & Gadgets
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Posts: 11,139
Default

Was it just the bare iPad or did it at least come with stuff (charger, cable, box even?). If it didn't come with stuff, then it has a higher likelihood of being stolen I would imagine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenn View Post
The 6770M can play Crysis 2, for suitably small values of play
TheStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #14
alkemyst
No Lifer
 
alkemyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Corner of EPIC and ┼WESOME ST.
Posts: 79,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarqs View Post
the reason why I think it was stolen is because the guy is not contacting me back. Those are the only assumptions I have. I don't have hard evidence it's stolen, but that's what I suspect it to be.

#1 i'm going to report this to ebay regarding my suspicion of purchasing stolen goods.
#2 i don't want to be out an ipad, but this is the right thing to do, and I did pay a lot of money for it. (64GB wifi)
You should be able to call apple to verify if it's been reported stolen first
__________________
The Masamune blade would repel the leaves and let them flow safely down the stream, while the Murasame blade would attract and cut them up.
alkemyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #15
sjwaste
Diamond Member
 
sjwaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 8,742
Default

Not a bad idea to check if its been reported stolen. If it is, send it back to the actual owner (if possible to ID) and file a dispute with Ebay. I've heard stories of them finding in favor of the buyer for much more trivial shit, so this shouldn't be too hard.

Pain in the ass to do the right thing, but there's something to be said for it.
sjwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:43 PM   #16
KeypoX
Diamond Member
 
KeypoX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarqs View Post
the reason why I think it was stolen is because the guy is not contacting me back. Those are the only assumptions I have. I don't have hard evidence it's stolen, but that's what I suspect it to be.

#1 i'm going to report this to ebay regarding my suspicion of purchasing stolen goods.
#2 i don't want to be out an ipad, but this is the right thing to do, and I did pay a lot of money for it. (64GB wifi)
The longer you wait the less likely you are to get your money back from ebay. Ebay loves to screw people.
KeypoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #17
Nothinman
Elite Member
 
Nothinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 30,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwaste
Pain in the ass to do the right thing, but there's something to be said for it.
Tell that to all of the people running Hackintoshes and Jailbroken iPhones and discussing them here...
__________________
http://www.debian.org
Nothinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #18
Spineshank
Diamond Member
 
Spineshank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 7,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinman View Post
Tell that to all of the people running Hackintoshes and Jailbroken iPhones and discussing them here...
Whats your point? Nothing illegal bout jailbreaking..the hackintosh part i dont know.
__________________
Heatware

15" rMBP  iPhone 5 16GB  2TB Time Capsule
Spineshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #19
Nothinman
Elite Member
 
Nothinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 30,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spineshank View Post
Whats your point? Nothing illegal bout jailbreaking..the hackintosh part i dont know.
Technically you're right, but the part I quoted said "the right thing" which is a moral decision. Just like using a no cd crack on a game you already bought, but I doubt the mods here would let that fly...
__________________
http://www.debian.org
Nothinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #20
Kelvrick
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 17,818
Default

Just my experience, but my house was broken into a month ago and a few days later, we got a call from some guy saying he was from Apple and saying that they found an ipod that was registered to my wife. Gave us a case number and contact at the police department handling it.

Still don't have it back since they're using it as evidence in a case (maybe more of my stuff as well?).
__________________
heatware
JEEEBUS DOES NOT DISAPPOINT

Trying hard not to troll. Don't make it hard on me.
Kelvrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #21
sjwaste
Diamond Member
 
sjwaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 8,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinman View Post
Tell that to all of the people running Hackintoshes and Jailbroken iPhones and discussing them here...
What's illegal about those, first off? And second, do you actually put those in the same category as stolen goods?
sjwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #22
Nothinman
Elite Member
 
Nothinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 30,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwaste View Post
What's illegal about those, first off? And second, do you actually put those in the same category as stolen goods?
If you jailbreak it and put it on a carrier other than AT&T, yes, you just stole a contract from them and cost them money. And if you install a Hackintosh on a homebuilt PC then you just cost Apple the hardware cost they'd normally get from that sale, so yes again.

But my pet peeve is really just that talk about both freely is just fine here, when I know the AT mods would lock any thread talking about pirated software torrents, no-cd cracks, etc which is a huge double-standard in my eyes.
__________________
http://www.debian.org
Nothinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #23
TheStu
Moderator
Mobile Devices & Gadgets
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Posts: 11,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinman View Post
If you jailbreak it and put it on a carrier other than AT&T, yes, you just stole a contract from them and cost them money.
If I jailbreak/unlock my unsubsidized iPhone that I bought secondhand from my friend, then I am not taking a contract away from AT&T (because I don't have one) nor am I taking money away from Apple (as they have already been paid)

Quote:
And if you install a Hackintosh on a homebuilt PC then you just cost Apple the hardware cost they'd normally get from that sale, so yes again.
If I buy a copy of Leopard to install onto my PowerBook, then I have again already paid Apple for the hardware and have just paid them for the OS. They sell the OS separately, so don't tell me that just by buying the OS that a person is costing Apple a sale. And regardless of any other ethical or moral issues that you have, a great deal of people hackintosh because the $700 Mac Mini is not powerful enough, and the $1200 iMac has one too many screens for their existing hardware.

In my case, i was upgrading my desktop anyway, so I decided to give hackintoshing a try, and it is very nice to have just one computer that can boot both OSes, especially considering that my desk isn't big enough to fit an iMac and up until recently the Mac Mini wasn't exactly super-awesome.

Quote:
But my pet peeve is really just that talk about both freely is just fine here, when I know the AT mods would lock any thread talking about pirated software torrents, no-cd cracks, etc which is a huge double-standard in my eyes.
Your point is valid in that the legality of Hackintoshing is a little vague, and most other legally dubious things are verboten on the forum, so the apparent double standard can be bothersome, but have you taken it up with Aphex, or the forum overlords?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenn View Post
The 6770M can play Crysis 2, for suitably small values of play
TheStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:26 AM   #24
VirtualLarry
Lifer
 
VirtualLarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 25,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinman View Post
And if you install a Hackintosh on a homebuilt PC then you just cost Apple the hardware cost they'd normally get from that sale, so yes again.

But my pet peeve is really just that talk about both freely is just fine here, when I know the AT mods would lock any thread talking about pirated software torrents, no-cd cracks, etc which is a huge double-standard in my eyes.
If hackintoshing is stealing, then so is overclocking. After all, you're "stealing" a sale of a more expensive/faster processor, no?

Then again, this is America (well, supposedly), and generally, once you buy it, you can do what you want with it.
__________________
Rig(s) not listed, because I change computers, like some people change their socks.
ATX is for poor people. And 'gamers.' - phucheneh
haswell is bulldozer... - aigomorla
"DON'T BUY INTEL, they will send secret signals down the internet, which
will considerably slow down your computer". - SOFTengCOMPelec
VirtualLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #25
Nothinman
Elite Member
 
Nothinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 30,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
If I jailbreak/unlock my unsubsidized iPhone that I bought secondhand from my friend, then I am not taking a contract away from AT&T (because I don't have one) nor am I taking money away from Apple (as they have already been paid)
Well you still kinda are, because the iPhone is supposed to be tied to AT&T. If Apple didn't have an exclusive agreement with them you'd have a point though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
If I buy a copy of Leopard to install onto my PowerBook, then I have again already paid Apple for the hardware and have just paid them for the OS. They sell the OS separately, so don't tell me that just by buying the OS that a person is costing Apple a sale. And regardless of any other ethical or moral issues that you have, a great deal of people hackintosh because the $700 Mac Mini is not powerful enough, and the $1200 iMac has one too many screens for their existing hardware.
If you buy OS X for Apple hardware you already have that's fine, that's the whole reason why Apple sells the software by itself. But the license says it can only be used on Apple's own hardware, so hackintoshing is a license violation and robs Apple of the hardware revenue. If they don't have a machine that doesn't meet your requirements, that's too bad but it doesn't give you the right to violate the agreement you supposedly agreed to when you bought the software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
In my case, i was upgrading my desktop anyway, so I decided to give hackintoshing a try, and it is very nice to have just one computer that can boot both OSes, especially considering that my desk isn't big enough to fit an iMac and up until recently the Mac Mini wasn't exactly super-awesome.
Casual license violations are still license violations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLarry
If hackintoshing is stealing, then so is overclocking. After all, you're "stealing" a sale of a more expensive/faster processor, no?
I'm not really sure of my opinion on that since I think overclocking is stupid anyway since you're running the hardware you just bought out of spec. But there's no rate limiters on the CPUs, Intel isn't actively trying to stop you from overclocking and I don't think the CPU comes with a use license that says you can't overclock them. If they did, then I'd agree with you.
__________________
http://www.debian.org
Nothinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.