· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
techs
Lifer

Default Sig Hansen quits Deadliest Catch, along with the Hillstrands

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_deadliest

"Deadliest Catch" stars quit Discovery show

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – A trio of stars of Discovery's hit reality series "Deadliest Catch" have left the show.

Capts. Johnathan and Andy Hillstrand -- who were sued earlier this month by Discovery for allegedly not performing work on a planned spinoff special -- as well as Capt. Sig Hansen, said in a statement Tuesday that they were "unable" to continue on the series due to the litigation.

"We have been through a lot over the past year and unfortunately given the current situation with Discovery we are unable to continue participating in 'Deadliest Catch,'" the three crab fishermen said in a joint written statement. "It has been a fantastic ride, and we wish the best to all of the amazing and supportive 'Catch' fans we have met over the years."

A statement from Discovery was not forthcoming.

The network sued the Hillstrands for $3 million claiming they failed to show up to finish work on "Hillstranded," a planned "Catch" spinoff. The Hillstrands' lawyer Jeff Cohen then called the suit an attempt to "extort" his clients and said the lawsuit could force them to sell their boats and fire their crews. Hansen, also repped by Cohen, later weighed in, backing the Hillstrands, slamming Discovery and saying, "I want people to know the captains stand together, and me and my brothers support them 100 percent."

Hansen, captain of the Northwestern, has been a fixture on "Catch" since its first season premiered in 2005. The Hillstrands, captains of the Time Bandit, joined in Season 2. Filming on the seventh season of the Emmy-nominated series is scheduled to begin as crab season starts in October. But barring any reconciliation, it now appears the show will be down three captains (in addition to Capt. Phil Harris, who died earlier this year).
Old 09-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
hclarkjr
Lifer

money talks, i am sure there will be some exchanged and all will be well
Cooler master HAF932, Dell 2408WFP, Gigabyte P67A-UD4 B3 REV. 1.1, Intel core I7 2600K, XIGMATEK SD-1283 Gaia, Intel X25-M G2 160GB,16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 1600mhz,Crossfired Radeon HD6950, Pioneer BDR-205, Samsung SH-S243N 24X DVD-RW, western digital black 2TB,Antec TPQ-850 850W , windows 8.1 pro X64
hclarkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
911paramedic
Diamond Member

I didn't know that Phil died! I knew he was in pretty bad shape, I mean he smoked like a chimney, drank coffee like he was trying to put out a fire, and had an enormous amount of stress going on.

RIP
Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
Sentrosi2121
Platinum Member

That sucks. Sig and the Hillstrand brothers were the reason why I watched Deadliest Catch. I hope it will all work out, but there's bad blood already in the water. I don't hold out much hope of this series lasting 2 more years.
Are they fishing for opies or king crab in October?
Sentrosi2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Train
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911paramedic View Post
I didn't know that Phil died! I knew he was in pretty bad shape, I mean he smoked like a chimney, drank coffee like he was trying to put out a fire, and had an enormous amount of stress going on.

RIP
Damn, where have you been? even if you didnt watch the show, it was all over the news (and these forums)
Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Demon-Xanth
Lifer

Sig's boat was kind of unique in the way that it was tense and hardass, but there never was much yelling. They were hardasses. They all knew it. That's the way it was. They occasionally had fun, but either you roll with it or you find another ride. If I were a greenhorn on that ship I would have "shut the hell up!" sewn into the bottom of the bill of my hat to always remind me how to make it bearable.
Demon-Xanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Riverhound777
Platinum Member

Well Discovery better get there shit together, cause i'm going to have to lean towards the captains having the power on this one. They are the reason people watch, replacing them wont go over well and the show will fail. I'm not sure how well all the spin-offs with swordfish and lobster are doing, but I haven't been watching. It's like an NBA season being canceled, but we still have the WNBA! Aint gunna cut it.
RAM: G.Skill 2x2gb DDR2-1000 at 900Mhz 1.9v
Vid Card: EVGA 8800GT
Power Supply: Corsair 520HX

Last edited by Riverhound777; 09-29-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Riverhound777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Sentrosi2121
Platinum Member

Exactly why I liked how Sig ran his boat. No drama. Just get out there, do your damn job, and everyone can go home. The only real drama was between Sig and Edgar last season. And the Hillstrands seem to be of the same vein. Don't bring drama onto the Time Bandit. Go do your job, and we'll fire off some fireworks.
Sentrosi2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
Lamont Burns
Platinum Member

Keith will save the show! I keed I keed
Lamont Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
moshquerade
Banned

The show has really ran its course anyway. They idolized the hell out of Phil Harris when really he was some guy who smoked like a fiend, drank like a fish, and never took care of himself. He had a heart attack and still continued the habits that were killing him. Surprise - he had a stroke and died young. Now it looks like his kid, or at least one of them, is following in his self destructive footsteps. Show's over folks.

Last edited by moshquerade; 09-29-2010 at 03:35 PM.
moshquerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
preslove
Lifer

Who cares? That show was interesting for a couple episodes, but they ran out of interesting things about the job really quickly.
What is jesus's middle name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
...I was in it for the mutton kebabs but found myself eating penis. It happens.
preslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
TwiceOver
Lifer

Well... That's the end of that.

I.T. Technician n. The only person under the boss' desk not looking for a raise.
TwiceOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
SP33Demon
Lifer

Well that puts me in a crabby mood today.
.HEAT.
SP33Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
rasczak
Lifer

arrrrrgh matey! Shiver me timbers!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #15
mcvickj
Diamond Member

They might as well cancel the series if the Northwestern and Time Bandit will not be part of the show.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #16
murphy55d
Lifer

Guess I can take it off my DVR then. An hour show about Capt Keith and that Wild bill character? No sir, i dont like it.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #17
hclarkjr
Lifer

i hope discovery sees all the outcry and gives them the money, which i bet they do.
Cooler master HAF932, Dell 2408WFP, Gigabyte P67A-UD4 B3 REV. 1.1, Intel core I7 2600K, XIGMATEK SD-1283 Gaia, Intel X25-M G2 160GB,16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 1600mhz,Crossfired Radeon HD6950, Pioneer BDR-205, Samsung SH-S243N 24X DVD-RW, western digital black 2TB,Antec TPQ-850 850W , windows 8.1 pro X64
Old 09-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
OutHouse
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshquerade View Post
The show has really ran its course anyway. They idolized the hell out of Phil Harris when really he was some guy who smoked like a fiend, drank like a fish, and never took care of himself. He had a heart attack and still continued the habits that were killing him. Surprise - he had a stroke and died young. Now it looks like his kid, or at least on of them, is following in his self destructive footsteps. Show's over folks.
im sure discovery will try one more season and realize Hanson, Hilstrand, Phil were the show period.

last season had that new capt with the long white hair and beard. i have no idea who he was but he sucked.

"Going to McDonalds for a salad is like asking a prostitute for a hug." Sean Fallon

my post are being monitored by a STALKER!
OutHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #19
ViviTheMage
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Xanth View Post
Sig's boat was kind of unique in the way that it was tense and hardass, but there never was much yelling. They were hardasses. They all knew it. That's the way it was. They occasionally had fun, but either you roll with it or you find another ride. If I were a greenhorn on that ship I would have "shut the hell up!" sewn into the bottom of the bill of my hat to always remind me how to make it bearable.
It is crazy how each boat has a different feel...the captains really make a ship a certain way, that's for sure.

I wish they'd all just ban together and stop the show, if discoveries trying to milk them, time to cut ties imo....plus, last season was great, and would be in good memory for Phil, to just drop the show now.

vivi's blog

237-0-0
ViviTheMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #20
hclarkjr
Lifer

i hope they keep everybody, i want to see if the harris boys can manage the boat without dad now. if they lose sig and hillstrands mind as well cancel the show
Old 09-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #21
OutHouse
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hclarkjr View Post
i hope they keep everybody, i want to see if the harris boys can manage the boat without dad now. if they lose sig and hillstrands mind as well cancel the show
yea i sorta want to see if those two idiots have it in them or not. but sadly all is see is a fail boat and its quite sad.

"Going to McDonalds for a salad is like asking a prostitute for a hug." Sean Fallon

my post are being monitored by a STALKER!
OutHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #22
ViviTheMage
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutHouse View Post
yea i sorta want to see if those two idiots have it in them or not. but sadly all is see is a fail boat and its quite sad.
It's in their blood, they'll take care of it I am sure...i'm curious too though.

vivi's blog

237-0-0
ViviTheMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #23
Pocatello
Diamond Member

All you really need is to record one episode, watch it over and over, can't tell the difference anyway.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #24
Wreckem
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverhound777 View Post
Well Discovery better get there shit together, cause i'm going to have to lean towards the captains having the power on this one. They are the reason people watch, replacing them wont go over well and the show will fail. I'm not sure how well all the spin-offs with swordfish and lobster are doing, but I haven't been watching. It's like an NBA season being canceled, but we still have the WNBA! Aint gunna cut it.
Discovery holds all the power if the Captains signed a contract and failed to perform the contract. In the real world(not like sports) holding out for more money when you already have a contract is breach of contract. You breach a contract the other party is made as well off as if the contract was preformed(simplified).

If the captains failed to live up to their contract, it is their own fault they are being sued.

Last edited by Wreckem; 09-29-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Wreckem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #25
MWink
Diamond Member

I kinda figured this might happen when I read that Discovery was suing the Hillstrands. I was very lucky and got to meet all three of them a few weeks ago when they did the "meet the captains" tour. I got a copy of Sig's book signed by all three of them. I was glad to see they are pretty good guys in person. They took the time to talk with everyone and sign everything before leaving.

I'm not at all surprised to see Sig quit along with the Hillstrands and wouldn't be surprised if others did as well. I HOPE Discovery can get them all back because the Northwestern is my favorite boat and I don't think the show will do well at all without the Northwestern and Time Bandit. I don't know all the details of Discovery's lawsuit against the Hillstrands so I really can't pass judgment on that. I just hope they get things worked out reasonably.
MWink is offline   Reply With Quote