Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
eLiu
Diamond Member

Default Spilled some water on my laptop kb, now some keys don't work

I spilled some water on the keyboard. Powered it off & wiped off/shook out what I could & let it dry overnight.

Seemed dry today so I powered it on, and some of the keys don't work. No other observed issues.

Is the keyboard screwed? Anything I can do besides buy a new keyboard from dell and/or send it in for repairs? Cheaper solutions are obviously preferable here, lol.

Thanks,
-Eric
Old 09-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
xSauronx
Lifer

probably screwed, but you can try 2 things (but youre probably screwed)

1: contact relay cleaner. its an electrical cleaning solvent in a can, spray the fuck out of the keys.

2: remove each key and clean it with alcohol and a q-tip

this worked for me before a long time ago...mostly. i had a keyboard I LOVE LOVE LOVED and spilled a coke on it...got everything working but the spacebar

Heatware |
xSauronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
Zap
Super Moderator
Off Topic
Elite Member

How old is it? For older models you can pick up cheap keyboards on eBay. I looked up keyboards for my old Dell Inspiron 6000 (gave it to sister-in-law, and in short order it is missing 3 keys). Used but good condition starts at just under $15 shipped, and new ones start at around $25 shipped.

SSD turns duds into studs. (JBT)
Zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
C1
Golden Member

Ya, try to spray it out with an electronic cleaner that doesnt leave a residue. If you try to fix it yourself "agreat server" has keyboards:
http://www.agreatserver.com/cgi/sear...yboards&C=3667

Otherwise, a repair facility will charge probably $100-$150 for a Kbd replace.

Last edited by C1; 09-01-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Fix typos
C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #5
eLiu
Diamond Member

laptop is a dell inspiron 15, so it's pretty new. New kb goes for like $40 on ebay; refurbished for $11ish from Dell. So replacement of the kb won't be so bad.

Could someone provide a link to electronic cleaner? I googled and mostly came across products that cost like $100+, which is more than a new keyboard, lol.

Also with any luck, the problem will solve itself... as the 'dead' keys are working intermittently now, lol.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:13 AM   #6
Hacp
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiu View Post
laptop is a dell inspiron 15, so it's pretty new. New kb goes for like $40 on ebay; refurbished for $11ish from Dell. So replacement of the kb won't be so bad.

Could someone provide a link to electronic cleaner? I googled and mostly came across products that cost like $100+, which is more than a new keyboard, lol.

Also with any luck, the problem will solve itself... as the 'dead' keys are working intermittently now, lol.
Dry it out for longer. I have had this happen before and I just let the computer air out for a couple of days and two weeks later, they magically work. Its amazing what modern day laptops can go through and still survive. My laptop has been soaked wet in a huge puddle from a storm for hours and I still managed to salvage it after a few weeks of drying. Of course, people who immediately turn on their laptops after they spill something are stupid.

Hacp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
xSauronx
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiu View Post

buy that stuff at a local hardware store, its 4 or 5 bucks a can, if that. lowes, home depot, ace, a mom and pop shop...they should all have something

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/pro...rce=GoogleBase

thats an example, but still, it should be a cinch to find electrical contact cleaner locally.

Heatware |
xSauronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
CurseTheSky
Diamond Member

Take several layers of paper towels and sandwich them between the screen and the keyboard. Close the laptop, and turn it upside-down (lid on the bottom). Leave it for another day or two in a dry environment (but not directly in the sun). See what happens.

You can also give a hair dryer a shot, though be careful not to overheat it.

The where, when, and how are things that we can try to control, but in the end, it's the mark that we leave on this world that we truly have power over.
CurseTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote