· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 08-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
holden j caufield
Diamond Member

Default what is AAA towing policy? Will they tow a car I'm looking into buying?

I'm a premium AAA member and was looking at a project car. Will they tow it for me? I think I get 3 or 4 free service calls in a year, doesn't matter the car as long as I'm there?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Cepak
Golden Member

It all depends. Is the project car drivable (or can you make it look like you drove it and it broke down)? I haven't tried it on a project car. I do know you've got one 200 mile tow and four 30 mile tows per year. You don't actually have to own the vehicle to use the tow service. You can be a passenger in someone else's vehicle, their vehicle break down, and still use your AAA service for the tow.
Cepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Ronstang
Lifer

The easiest way to find out is call AAA.
1966 Shelby G.T.350H #1781
1966 Mustang Fastback restomod project
1966 Mustang Coupe restomod project (this one will get over 30 mpg!!)

I'm a car guy, a computer is a tool not a pastime!
Ronstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
StageLeft
No Lifer

No wonder AAA charges so fvcking much (I quit it years ago). I've never needed a tow so I have to pay for people who are using a 200 mile tow and four 30 miles/year?! Who the hell could possible need a tow every two months?!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
alevasseur14
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoorb View Post
No wonder AAA charges so fvcking much (I quit it years ago). I've never needed a tow so I have to pay for people who are using a 200 mile tow and four 30 miles/year?! Who the hell could possible need a tow every two months?!
Families/people with multiple vehicles. I'll ask my AAA dispatcher about the project car thing if I have to call them again tonight.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
I have the premium membership and have used 3 tows in one year before.

I've towed a car that I bought from someone that didn't run to my house. Just make sure you ask for a flatbed when you call them which will be a longer wait. It doesn't matter the car as long as you're there but they will ask you if it runs or not on the phone. Never had any problems with AAA towing any car running or not, mine or not, as long as you are there with your card.
zerocool84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
StageLeft
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alevasseur14 View Post
Families/people with multiple vehicles. I'll ask my AAA dispatcher about the project car thing if I have to call them again tonight.
God's honest truth. I am over 30 and in my entire life of driving I and everybody in my family since I've been born have needed one tow to the best of my recollection and that was after an accident.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
alevasseur14
Golden Member

Quote:
God's honest truth. I am over 30 and in my entire life of driving I and everybody in my family since I've been born have needed one tow to the best of my recollection and that was after an accident.
Well... that's awesome. I've never needed a tow either. But it's silly to assume that just because you and I don't need tows that often nobody else does either.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
Turin39789
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Well... that's awesome. I've never needed a tow either. But it's silly to assume that just because you and I don't need tows that often nobody else does either.
I don't know if AAA has changed but it used to be free 100 mile tows for plus members, not one 200 and some 30 miles. When my daily driver was a 30 year old VW with a gas gauge that didnt work, I used it plenty, maxed out my tows even one year but was also using them for other people.

Did use the 100 mile one once, was on our way from Ky to New Orleans and my buddy's Dodge shadow threw a rod and drained its oil and all kinds of horrific stuff about 110 miles from home about 10 miles from where we were picking up my future wife and her friend. This was about a month and a half after I bought the 72 VW, and no one else had a car that would work, so after figuring out how broke it was I left everyone at the women's place and rode home in the AAA truck. Dropped his car in front of my apartment, tow truck driver loaded up my VW so he would have some company and I would save on gas and rode me back. I think I paid about $15 for the overage mileage and he pulled over in a rest stop a few miles from town and dropped me off so he wouldn't be seen. Picked everyone up, made it to New Orleans trying to keep up with the Camaro we were riding with.

Had a blast.

Developed an oil leak and a bad battery. Life is grand.

"Everything secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity." ľLord Acton
Turin39789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
boomhower
Diamond Member

When I moved I had them tow a truck of mine that was broke down(blown head gasket, warped head) 90 miles to my new house. No fuss no muss.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
HarryLui
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cepak View Post
It all depends. Is the project car drivable (or can you make it look like you drove it and it broke down)?
No need to lie. Tow truck driver doesn't care.

Just call AAA and ask for a tow. When they ask what's wrong, just point out one of your project car's fault. Like the engine won't run and there is puddle of oil underneath it.

My Heatware
HarryLui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
kornphlake
Golden Member

Quote:
I had my vehicle towed 3 times in about 6 months, twice to my home and once from my home to a mechanic when I decided I didn't want to fix the problem on my own. I didn't keep that vehicle much longer after the third tow, but I still drive a high mileage vehicle and it's only a matter of time until it will need to be towed. My dad has had his vehicles towed 4 or 5 times in the last 10 years. My sister had a long distance tow a few years ago and didn't have AAA, I believe the bill was about $800, which is enough to pay my AAA membership for 13 years.

Insurance is insurance, if you don't need it you're lucky but you've wasted a handful of cash, if you do need it you're less lucky but you've saved a handful of cash. AAA does offer other services besides towing, the membership fee isn't a complete loss even if you don't use the included roadside assistance, there are other benefits that are of value such as travel discounts and free maps.

Last edited by kornphlake; 08-11-2010 at 12:16 AM.
kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:25 AM   #13
helpme
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
I have the premium membership and have used 3 tows in one year before.

I've towed a car that I bought from someone that didn't run to my house. Just make sure you ask for a flatbed when you call them which will be a longer wait. It doesn't matter the car as long as you're there but they will ask you if it runs or not on the phone. Never had any problems with AAA towing any car running or not, mine or not, as long as you are there with your card.
I have also used my plus membership to tow an unregistered car I just bought about 50 miles to a friends house. In this case the car ran, but the tires were dry rotted and if you got it started the turbo was bad, causing a bunch of smoke. Plus the tags from 1990 didn't help (this was in 2008)

The dispatcher didn't seem to care, and the tow truck guy seemed indifferent, though I'm sure they'd be much happier for you to be paying their rate.
helpme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #14
Rifter
Diamond Member

I dispatch tow trucks and we are a contractor for BCAA(canadian version of AAA for the province of BC)

Up here they will ony tow you if your vehicle has valid insurance, we as a contractor dont care as we make money if we do the call and dont if we dont so we will tow you reagardless but if you tell AAA it has no insurance they might deny you service. I would call and just tell them you broke down and mention a engine issue or whatever. Chances are good the tow truck driver will not care.

Oppan Gangnam style all up in this mother!
Rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #15
kami333
Diamond Member

They wouldn't tow the last car I bought, it was partway up a hill on a ranch, the driver was worried about getting stuck.

But otherwise as long as it rolls they (the drivers) haven't cared about what or to where. AAA dispatch might give you some grief for things like garage to garage tows or garage to home (since it's supposed to be for breakdowns) but I've always just been vague.

Mine pays for itself in Napa discounts.
kami333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #16
StageLeft
No Lifer

Quote:
Yeah, that would be a silly assumption, which is why I didn't make it.

How much do you save on napa with AAA?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 AM   #17
luckysnafu

I tried to get a car I purchased towed with AAA a couple years ago. The car ran and drove, but was not registered (no plates). When the tow truck showed up they refused to tow it since it wasn't registered. I ended up paying the guy cash to tow it about 100 miles to my house plus he got the payment from AAA, so he made out like crazy on the deal.
luckysnafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #18
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden j caufield View Post
I'm a premium AAA member and was looking at a project car. Will they tow it for me? I think I get 3 or 4 free service calls in a year, doesn't matter the car as long as I'm there?
They will not tow it shop to shop if that's what you are asking.

You have to have had a break down driving. It's roadside assistance, not free towing service.
We are the Bloodguard. We do not forgive.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #19
Bignate603
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
They will not tow it shop to shop if that's what you are asking.

You have to have had a break down driving. It's roadside assistance, not free towing service.
Yup, so if you need it towed shop to shop you push it out into the side of the road.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #20
halik
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden j caufield View Post
You know, I thought about the same thing. I've had AAA tow me twice before and they never cared whether it was the car insured by em. I'm pretty sure it will work.

With the range rover, i waited hour and half, since they had to dispatch a freaking semi with airbrakes and 10 speed manual gearbox (I got a kick watching him go LO-HI).
It seems like people want to bend reality any way they wish. Jobs are created by economic activity, and this economic activity happens because of self-made people of all races and colors that are motivated by greed. The sooner we understand it the better we are.

Last edited by halik; 08-11-2010 at 07:53 PM.
halik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #21
PhoKingGuy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halik View Post
You know, I thought about the same thing. I've had AAA tow me twice before and they never cared whether it was the car insured by em. I'm pretty sure it will work.

With the range rover, i waited hour and half, since they had to dispatch a freaking semi with airbrakes and 10 speed manual gearbox (I got a kick watching him go LO-HI).
AAA towed my friends dad's 1964 Fairlane out of storage to his house. The thing didnt even have plates on it and he seemed to care more about how we were going to restore it than anything else.

Official member of the Frat Boy Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudAshes View Post
You act like the government knows more than anyone else. Our government is full of retards that know nothing.
PhoKingGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #22
Bignate603
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by halik View Post

They don't care if it is insured by them, they just require it to be insure, period. That requirement is supposed to stop people from having them haul around project cars.

However, the tow truck guys usually don't care because they only get paid if they tow you. If they show up they'll almost always tow you so they can bill for that job.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #23
Cepak
Golden Member

Quote:
Ah, but you haven't enjoyed working out the "bugs" of a classic car you've just purchased. The first year I owned my '63 I had 3 tows. First tow, clogged carbs from junk in the gas tank. Second tow, the distributor self destructed. Third tow, an electrical short.

Second year only one tow. A rear wheel bearing went out just outside of Austin on the way back to Fort Worth from a Corvair Car Show. 175 mile tow straight to my house, rode with the driver the whole way.

No tows from years 3 through 6 so far (knock on wood). This is why I carry AAA Premium membership.
Cepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #24
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignate603 View Post
They don't care if it is insured by them, they just require it to be insure, period. That requirement is supposed to stop people from having them haul around project cars.

However, the tow truck guys usually don't care because they only get paid if they tow you. If they show up they'll almost always tow you so they can bill for that job.
Problem is AAA is the one handling the call and will ask where is the car located. If you can get them to believe the side of the road you are golden (I guess if scamming is your thing), but if you state I am at "Joe's Transmission and I need to get my car to Frank's tires next" they are going to be honest with you that that is not the intention of roadside assistance.
We are the Bloodguard. We do not forgive.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #25
marvdmartian
Diamond Member

If they ask if the vehicle runs, just tell them, "Of course it doesn't! If it ran, would I need a tow truck??"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzo View Post
So you're saying that it's like putting the mashed potatoes on top of the cake BEFORE you do the dishes? I get it now! Good point!
heatware
marvdmartian is offline   Reply With Quote