· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
jonnyGURU
Power Supplies

Default iPass Fail. Stupid Illinois DOT transponder.

So today I get a bill in the mail from IDOT stating that I owe them $60+ for unpaid tolls.

$20 for each missed toll, times three, plus the $1 or $1.50 for each toll across two different days (two on one day, one on another).

Funny thing is, I logged into my account and it said that on the same days I missed tolls, IDOT registered that I also went through tolls and paid with my iPass transponder.

So it's like "paid toll", "missed toll", "paid toll", "missed toll", so I assume there's something wrong with the transponder.

I called IDOT and they waived the fees and just charged me for the tolls. They said, "in the future, call ahead and tell us you missed the tolls."

How would I know I missed the tolls?!?! The iPass transponder has no lights and doesn't beep. When I lived in Florida, we had Sun Pass. Sun Pass would beep one way to tell you it registered a toll and another way to tell you your account was low. I told the lady at IDOT this and she said the old iPass transponders were like that, but customers complained that they beeped too much.

WHAT?!?!

So how are you supposed to know when your transponder doesn't pay a toll so you can call and pay the toll before a notice with a fee is sent out? WTF?!?!

Back to the transponder not working... I told her clearly it's not working if only half the tolls are registering and asked if the battery may be low. She said you can't replace the battery and only replace the whole transponder once it's determined the battery is dead. So I say "ok... replace my transponder." She replied, "well, you've only had it for three years and we usually don't replace them until after 6 or 7 years because that's how long the batteries typically last."

Umm... life expectancy of a battery can vary.

So if I miss a toll, I'm supposed to call ahead of time.... But the transponder doesn't tell me when I make or miss a toll.... my battery might be dead... but they won't replace the transponder until after 6 years.

What a cluster fsck.
jonnyGURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
AstroManLuca
Lifer

There are no toll roads in Minnesota

That does suck though Maybe this is one of those situations where you just have to complain over and over again until someone does something. Make it more of a hassle to not deal with you than to deal with you.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
OCGuy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroManLuca View Post
There is nothing in Minnesota
fixed
Old 07-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
Scouzer
Lifer

Glad I've never driven on a toll road in my life.
Scouzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Krazy4Real
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCGuy View Post
fixed
Lets be fair. Minnesota does have the mall of america, but that's because it's dirt cheap to build something that big in the middle of nowhere.
Krazy4Real is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
MotionMan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
So today I get a bill in the mail from IDOT stating that I owe them $60+ for unpaid tolls.

$20 for each missed toll, times three, plus the $1 or $1.50 for each toll across two different days (two on one day, one on another).

Funny thing is, I logged into my account and it said that on the same days I missed tolls, IDOT registered that I also went through tolls and paid with my iPass transponder.

So it's like "paid toll", "missed toll", "paid toll", "missed toll", so I assume there's something wrong with the transponder.

I called IDOT and they waived the fees and just charged me for the tolls. They said, "in the future, call ahead and tell us you missed the tolls."

How would I know I missed the tolls?!?! The iPass transponder has no lights and doesn't beep. When I lived in Florida, we had Sun Pass. Sun Pass would beep one way to tell you it registered a toll and another way to tell you your account was low. I told the lady at IDOT this and she said the old iPass transponders were like that, but customers complained that they beeped too much.

WHAT?!?!

So how are you supposed to know when your transponder doesn't pay a toll so you can call and pay the toll before a notice with a fee is sent out? WTF?!?!

Back to the transponder not working... I told her clearly it's not working if only half the tolls are registering and asked if the battery may be low. She said you can't replace the battery and only replace the whole transponder once it's determined the battery is dead. So I say "ok... replace my transponder." She replied, "well, you've only had it for three years and we usually don't replace them until after 6 or 7 years because that's how long the batteries typically last."

Umm... life expectancy of a battery can vary.

So if I miss a toll, I'm supposed to call ahead of time.... But the transponder doesn't tell me when I make or miss a toll.... my battery might be dead... but they won't replace the transponder until after 6 years.

What a cluster fsck.
At the end of the call, did she ask if there was anything else she could help you with?

MotionMan
MotionMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
jjsole
Lifer

Wtf, that is their resolution? There must be a way to dispute this.
jjsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
BurnItDwn
Lifer

Wow that fvckin sucks ...

I imagine I'll be dealing with a similar dilema in a couple of years ... my Ipass transponder is maybe 5-6 years old now ....
BurnItDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
imagoon
Diamond Member

Last time I had that happen to me, they billed me the "cash rate" rather than the ipass rate and told me "That is the way it is." Cash rate is 2x ipass rate...
imagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
tcsenter
Lifer

While heading to San Francisco to pick-up my brother from SFO, I had never driven through the toll road there and accidentally became committed to an Auto Toll lane because I was distracted trying to read the freaking poorly worded digital signage (which was displaying some message that was not relevant to me). I guess I could have backed up but I didn't think that was safe or wise. No attendant was there. There was no place to pull-off after going through the toll booth. There was an office open but it was on the OTHER side of a divided highway. I was literally stopped at the toll booth for about five seconds, wondering what to do. So I said screw it, I'll just continue on and then stop on my way back, tell them what happened and pay the toll.

Nope, so sorry. They wouldn't take it. I'd have to pay the $35 fine for accidentally "evading" a $5 toll. I could appeal it in writing but we all know how that works.

Last edited by tcsenter; 07-22-2010 at 10:55 PM.
tcsenter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
waggy
No Lifer

yes. it sucks.

Also the idea of Ipass was if you pre-pay you would'nt pay as much as someone paying cash. Well that idea is getting shot down. they are trying to make it so ipass and cash pay the same (high) rate.

i had my transpoder start to mess up. i called and got the same lvl of run around. but hell if you want a new transponder go to the store and get one. they will switch the numbers around without any problem. just don't ask before you do it heh.
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
marvdmartian
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroManLuca View Post
There are 10,000 lakes and 20 bajillion mosquitos in Minnesota
fixed
Fixed for accuracy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzo View Post
So you're saying that it's like putting the mashed potatoes on top of the cake BEFORE you do the dishes? I get it now! Good point!
heatware
marvdmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #13
Bateluer
Lifer

Screw toll roads.
Bateluer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #14
jonnyGURU
Power Supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotionMan View Post
At the end of the call, did she ask if there was anything else she could help you with?
Of course. At least she wasn't in India or the Phillipines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsole View Post
Wtf, that is their resolution? There must be a way to dispute this.
I guess I'll just keep having my transponder only pick up half the tolls, call them every month and after three more years they'll give me a new transponder. *shrug*
Old 07-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #15
Born2bwire
Diamond Member

Yeah, the Illinois system is horrible. They have indicators if you go through the toll booths, but no indicators exist for the dedicated express lanes or on the transponders (I think the beta test transponders did have a LCD readout). I think I got hit with something like $150 in fines and such because I didn't know that the prepaid allotment on mine had run out. It took three-four months for the first fine to go through so I drove the entire summer without any notification of any problems. By then I was out of the country and had to straighten this out half the world away.
Born2bwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #16
CycloWizard
Lifer

Illinois is broke. They will do whatever they can to raise money. This is but one symptom. One other is the 23895238957 cops you drove past on the way to your destination. It's sad when Indiana and Missouri are relatively well-managed states.

Anything is possible when you don't know what you're talking about.
CycloWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:32 AM   #17
arrfep
Platinum Member

What? Bureaucratic clusterfuck on the roads of Illinois? I don't believe it.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #18
ElFenix
Elite Member
Super Moderator
Off Topic

your transponders use batteries? join the 21st century, illinois. ours are just a sticker with an antenna in it that uses the reader's radio waves for power and the windshield as an amplifier.

AnandTech Mean Moderator
ElFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #19
MDE
Lifer

They may replace it for you at one of the "Customer Service" kiosks at the Oases. Just out of curiosity, how fast were you driving through the toll booth\ open road toll thing?
Tada, you've got a Celeron!
-mechBgon
MDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #20
thescreensavers
Diamond Member

lol, I have the sunpass mini no battery to mess with.

WRB 2013 Subaru WRX Hatch
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #21
IronWing
Lifer

Tell them "Jesus already paid my toll."
IronWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:16 AM   #22
EarthwormJim
Diamond Member

My dad has one of those iPass things. He always holds right up to the top of the windshield to give it the best opportunity to work properly.

Since the battery lasts such a long time, I doubt it has a very strong antenna.
EarthwormJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:32 AM   #23
l0cke
Diamond Member

The new ones in colorado have a replaceable battery and a button to press that lets you test it.

But they are unnecessary because they replaced all the toll booths with liscense plate scanners that automatically send you a bill in the mail.
l0cke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #24
jonnyGURU
Power Supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDE View Post
They may replace it for you at one of the "Customer Service" kiosks at the Oases. Just out of curiosity, how fast were you driving through the toll booth\ open road toll thing?
You think it's a speed thing? I do admit, I was doing 80 to 85 down the Tri-State when I went through those tolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthwormJim View Post
My dad has one of those iPass things. He always holds right up to the top of the windshield to give it the best opportunity to work properly.

Since the battery lasts such a long time, I doubt it has a very strong antenna.
But that's ridiculous that you have to do that. The loaner cars at the local Hyundai dealer has the iPass bolted to the license plate frame and I doubt they have any problem with tolls. It's just Illinois cheaping out on the transponders that WE, the customers, are foced to pay for and they're trying to save money by not replacing faulty transponders after 3 years of use. They're also trying to make money off people that can't prove they DID use their faulty transponders when they only blow through one toll. I was lucky because half of my tolls showed up on my account.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #25
BrokenVisage
Lifer

iPass, eh? Does Apple make the transponder? That would explain it.
The Church of Atheism is a non-prophet organization
BrokenVisage is offline   Reply With Quote