· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
aphex
All Things Apple

Default Are all Polo shirts created equal? (Difference between Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, etc...)

So i came across some Lacoste Polo's for $45 locally (regularly $75) and it got me thinking, is there really a big difference between the big well known brands such as Ralph Lauren ($70) & Lacoste ($75) vs. lesser known Polo's from Banana Republic ($30) and J Crew ($33) and others?

I mean they are all 100% cotton, so are the difference that great? Do some shrink less / fade less than others?

Just curious as I need to buy some new Polos for work and am debating spending less and getting a few more.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Crono
Lifer

Not much. I would go for whatever is cheapest. Most of them are just made in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) or India at equally good factories.
"The study of history is the best medicine for a sick mind; for in history you have a record of the infinite variety of human experience plainly set out for all to see: and in that record you can find for yourself and your country both examples and warnings: fine things to take as models, base things, rotten through and through, to avoid." - Livy
Crono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
amdhunter
Lifer

I like the way the Lacoste and Ralph Laurens fit me, but damn, they get beat up nasty after just a few washes.

I've been sticking to the cheap Foot Locker ones (3 for $20) for daily use.
amdhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
zerocool84
Lifer

WTF?!? Why would you pay $75 let alone $45 or $30 for a Polo shirt? Casiotech???
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
IndyColtsFan
Lifer

I get many of my polo shirts free from work. For those I buy, I try to get the ones made from the moisture-wicking fabric. They aren't terribly expensive at Kohl's and hold up very well. I think most of them are under $20. I would never pay more than $25 or $30 for a polo.
MAIN: i7-2600K @ 4.5 Ghz | Asus P8Z68-V Pro | G.Skill 16 GB DDR3-1600 | Seagate 600 series 240 GB SSD (boot) | Samsung Evo 500 GB | 2 TB (data) | MSI Lightning GTX780 | Cosmos S | Dell U2410 and 2001fp | Seasonic Platinum 760 | Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise
IndyColtsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
cheezy321
Diamond Member

Lacoste polos fit me perfectly. Ralph Lauren seem to be too small or too big.

My lacoste polos have lasted me a long long time. They have been pretty durable, IMO

The biggest problem with America is not faceless corporate forces; the biggest problem with America is people who blame faceless corporate forces instead of accepting accountability for their own lives. - Chuck Klosterman
cheezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
GodlessAstronomer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool84 View Post
WTF?!? Why would you pay $75 let alone $45 or $30 for a Polo shirt? Casiotech???
This is what I wonder whenever I see them in stores. Except around here Lacoste is more like NZD$200 (~$140 USD). Yikes.
GodlessAstronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
JS80
Lifer

Lacoste shirts used to be made by Izod, and Izod shirts used to sell the same shirts without the croc logo. But $75 for a lacoste shirt is absurd. Will never do. If you give a shit about that kind of stuff go get knockoffs from eBay.
JS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
Tiamat
Lifer

Some use better grades of cotton (Pima). Also, they are all cut differently. You have to go and check them all out, they are very far from being the same. That isn't to say that spending more gets you a better quality polo. I personally do not like Lacoste and half of the Ralph Lauren polos. I tend to prefer Banana Republic due to fit and material (softness).
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #10
IndyColtsFan
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdhunter View Post
I like the way the Lacoste and Ralph Laurens fit me, but damn, they get beat up nasty after just a few washes.

I've been sticking to the cheap Foot Locker ones (3 for $20) for daily use.
The pure cotton (I guess that's the fabric used in most) polo shirts tend to fade and get really beat up after many wash cycles. That is another advantage of getting the polo shirts made from the moisture-wicking stuff -- you can wash them dozens of times and they look as good as when you bought them.

Here are the ones I'm talking about:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/mens...mance+Polo.jsp

You can get them in plain colors too without the stripes.
MAIN: i7-2600K @ 4.5 Ghz | Asus P8Z68-V Pro | G.Skill 16 GB DDR3-1600 | Seagate 600 series 240 GB SSD (boot) | Samsung Evo 500 GB | 2 TB (data) | MSI Lightning GTX780 | Cosmos S | Dell U2410 and 2001fp | Seasonic Platinum 760 | Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise
IndyColtsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
amdhunter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezy321 View Post
Lacoste polos fit me perfectly. Ralph Lauren seem to be too small or too big.

My lacoste polos have lasted me a long long time. They have been pretty durable, IMO
The Ralph Lauren ones make me look thinner than I really am somehow. That's why I like them. Dark RL's FTW.
amdhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
TheVrolok
Lifer

J Crew is lesser known? I buy most of my Polo's on sale from J Crew/Banana Republic for like 15 bucks, quality is just fine.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #13
coldmeat
Diamond Member

I find a lot of cheaper ones have shitty collars. The quality polos that I've had had thicker collars which helps them keep shape better.

coldmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
spidey07
No Lifer

Quality is MUCH better. Color holds better, better weave, better thread, etc. It will still look mostly new after years of wear.
(")_(")
spidey07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #15
shortylickens
No Lifer

I had to go to something important once while I was home on leave. My mother insisted I buy an $80 Ralph Lauren. It is by far the ugliest and least comfortable shirt I own.

When I was bored one day I stopped by a Marshalls and picked up three soft, 4 dollar polyester shirts that still look brand new after several years of washing.

Say what your observation is or move on... I keep saying it and I'll say it again. These posts add absolutely no value besides a +1 to your post count.
shortylickens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #16
Patranus
Diamond Member

The material used by RL is significantly higher quality compared to those off the shelf ones.

You can pick up some good end of season RL at Marshalls.
Patranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #17
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

They have some pretty good cheap polo's at target:
http://dappered.com/2010/06/target-m...fit-polo-sale/ (not my site)
$8 a piece at full price.

I like the signature polos at express also. I would never pay more than $14 for one. So wait for a coupon. Their pique polos are horrible and the collar is horrible. Avoid those. H&M makes one called the "cotton stretch fit polo" that's cheap as hell and is pretty decent. I think those are ~$13 otd. A little thin with an OK collar. You can get those for ~$11 when they have their 20% coupon.

These polos are a little fitted so they look better imho. Just wash in cold water inside out and hang dry to make them last longer.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #18
DaveSimmons
Elite Member

Land's End polos have a 3-button placket which I prefer over the 2-button. They also hold up well.

(The pima / interlochen polos, not the mesh. The mesh ones are cheaper but lower quality.)
DaveSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #19
ScottSwing
Banned

Quote:
Are all Polo shirts created equal?
They all make you equally a douche.
ScottSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #20
ScottSwing
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphex View Post
So i came across some Lacoste Polo's for $45 locally (regularly $75) and it got me thinking, is there really a big difference between the big well known brands such as Ralph Lauren ($70) & Lacoste ($75) vs. lesser known Polo's from Banana Republic ($30) and J Crew ($33) and others?

I mean they are all 100% cotton, so are the difference that great? Do some shrink less / fade less than others?

Just curious as I need to buy some new Polos for work and am debating spending less and getting a few more.
If you're going for functionality, just go with a well-known cheap brand.
ScottSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #21
darkxshade
Lifer

I like the slim fit Brooks Brothers golden fleece polos. I bought 3 back in 2006 that I still wear today.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #22
Babbles
Diamond Member

I have some Ralph Lauren polos and I like how they fit. I think the construction is very solid, heavy weight and nice texture to the weave, and I think the color has held well. I do have a navy blue Ralph Lauren one that is a bit faded, but it is at least five years old and still looks decent. It fits great and am happy with the cut.

I also have a Burberry and while not as heavy as the Ralph Laurens it does still have a great texture and feel to it. Also the color on the Burberry is rock solid; hasn't faded an ounce. The fit is just about perfect.

I have some Banana Republic ones and while I find the fit to be very good, the fabric is a bit thinner. However they have held their color very well.

I had one from Old Navy and found it so-so. Fit wasn't quite right and the fabric was a bit cheap. Had some stuff from H&M but that shit just falls apart in the wash.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #23
dr150
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkxshade View Post
I like the slim fit Brooks Brothers golden fleece polos. I bought 3 back in 2006 that I still wear today.
I bought some Brooks Brother Golden Fleece polos ($25 after Xmas sale) after researching the fashion forums. The general consensus was that they were the best in terms of quality.

I can confirm they hold their color really well and don't really shrink. They are sturdy as shit and the collar doesn't curl. The fit is large though. I'm an L and bought M--unprecedented for me. The cut is slim and flatters your body really well--especially in the back.

With that said, I prefer the currently hip Original Penguin polos. They fade more but the cut is the best I've found. It tapers as it goes down and gives you a nice V shape. The collar is also the sexiest and is the polo I get most complimented by women. The BB polo is more yuppie looking in comparison.

The RL polos are sturdy but fade WAY TOO FAST. Plus, the tail is toooo damn long--which is the ding most fashionistas give it. It looks stupid hanging out in the back. IMO, both BB and Penguins polos kill RL in most ways that matter to me.

I also really like the Eddie Bauer Pima polos. Well made and cut in a flattering way.
dr150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #24
PhoKingGuy
Diamond Member

I buy American Eagle ones on sale for 10-15 each. They last a few years and don't get beat up looking. They look decent to boot, im happy.

Official member of the Frat Boy Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudAshes View Post
You act like the government knows more than anyone else. Our government is full of retards that know nothing.
PhoKingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #25
MJinZ
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdhunter View Post
The Ralph Lauren ones make me look thinner than I really am somehow. That's why I like them. Dark RL's FTW.
In other news, black clothes are thinning.

MJinZ is offline   Reply With Quote