· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Muse
Lifer

Default Just smogged -- NO(PPM) a little high...whatsit mean?

Just had my 1997 Mazda 626LX 2.0L 4 cylinder coupe smogged and all the numbers look great except for the NO(PPM) at 15MPH. The Max allowed is 467, average is 57 and I was 230. So I passed, but want to know what this might signify. At 25MPH the max NO(PPM) is 754, average is 50 and I was 4! Could they have gotten my measurement wrong or is it possible that from 15 to 25 MPH the results could be so diametrically opposed?

This car only has a bit over 22,000 on it and I'm driving it maybe 1000 miles/year. Haven't had it looked at for quite a while.

Last edited by Muse; 06-17-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
punjabiplaya
Diamond Member

NO - nitrous oxide (parts per million). the crazy variation leads me to believe a busted machine.
p55-gd65
4GB Gskill Trident
2x 750GB Caviar Black + 2TB Caviar Green
BBQ

car:
2010 CBM Mazdaspeed3
punjabiplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
exdeath
Lifer

NO is related to EGR system. Could just be gunked up and slow to open or something along those lines.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
JeffreyLebowski
Lifer

My Trans Am registered around 2500PPM on NOx.
I know my EGR vacuum solinoid is fubared, but they are discontinued and I'm having to hunt one down.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
bruceb
Diamond Member

I would clean the EGR as suggested. Also may want to run some top end engine cleaner to help get rid of carbon build up. Especially on high mileage cars. Also, for smog checks, fresh spark plugs and be sure to warm the car up by doing about a 30 minute highway drive. This gets everything, including the cat converter up to specs and temps. Never take a smog test without it being fully warmed up. Do not shut engine off while waiting on line either.
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceb View Post
I would clean the EGR as suggested. Also may want to run some top end engine cleaner to help get rid of carbon build up. Especially on high mileage cars. Also, for smog checks, fresh spark plugs and be sure to warm the car up by doing about a 30 minute highway drive. This gets everything, including the cat converter up to specs and temps. Never take a smog test without it being fully warmed up. Do not shut engine off while waiting on line either.
Why? It's not going to cool down enough to affect anything even if the car sits for 30 minutes.

I have a 7 year old Maxima with almost 90,000 miles on it and it passed last year with no trouble at all.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
NutBucket
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMaximus View Post
Why? It's not going to cool down enough to affect anything even if the car sits for 30 minutes.

I have a 7 year old Maxima with almost 90,000 miles on it and it passed last year with no trouble at all.
Not in my experience. Then again. I was dealing with a 15 year old cat with nearly 200k on it. Drove it hard to the smog place. It sat for maybe 10 minutes. Got it on the rollers, fail. Revved it a bit and it passed like a champ.

Same for a friend of mine and his cat was new. In fact, for him driving to the smog check place wasn't enough to get it to pass. I told him to drive on a freeway for a bit in 4th (5-speed trans). Did that and it passed clean as a whistle.
NutBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
bruceb
Diamond Member

Cat converters need to hit a specific temperature in order to "light off"
The conversion of emissions does not happen until it is hot enough.That is why on later model cars, the converter is as close to the exhaust manifold on the motor as is possible. It heats up much faster.

See link for more information

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2000/ic60032.htm

Last edited by bruceb; 06-17-2010 at 06:55 PM.
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
NutBucket
Lifer

Yeah, my current car has 3! On a freakin' 4 banger.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
daw123
Platinum Member

Am I correct in saying, from the posts so far, that you thrash the ar*eout of the car before the smog test so that the CAT is hot enough that you will pass the smog test?

Just as the giant spiders pounced, I got a cold tongue up my butt and my bare-bottomed days were over.
daw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBucket View Post
Not in my experience. Then again. I was dealing with a 15 year old cat with nearly 200k on it. Drove it hard to the smog place. It sat for maybe 10 minutes. Got it on the rollers, fail. Revved it a bit and it passed like a champ.

Same for a friend of mine and his cat was new. In fact, for him driving to the smog check place wasn't enough to get it to pass. I told him to drive on a freeway for a bit in 4th (5-speed trans). Did that and it passed clean as a whistle.
You know, I've lived in California for 20 years now and I've never had a car fail smog despite not following ANY of your advice...your friends must drive old clunkers with issues I guess.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
alphatarget1
Diamond Member

Quote:
You know, I've lived in California for 20 years now and I've never had a car fail smog despite not following ANY of your advice...your friends must drive old clunkers with issues I guess.
My dad's 96 accord failed smog. Replaced O2 sensors, failed again. Brought it to a shop with CA's consumer assistance program. They checked the EGR system and it worked fine, and they found that the cat was bad. Replaced cat, almost everything was eliminated.

181k miles when it failed smog.
alphatarget1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
NutBucket
Lifer

Don't know what to tell you Jules. I'm not one to argue over stuff like this but that's what I've experienced.

And, in keeping with your experience, my dad's old truck ('89 Toyota) had zero problems passing smog and I know he didn't drive it hard prior to testing.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
Rifter
Diamond Member

I dont think its the EGR or the CAT, my car just passed smog but was way high on NO readings too, like 90% of allowable, everything else was lower than 15% of allowable. And my car has no EGR system and a brand new CAT. I think its cause i burn oil but i could be wrong.

Oppan Gangnam style all up in this mother!
Rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #15
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBucket View Post

Yeah, I've been told to get it good and hot. Yesterday, I had an appointment for 10:00 and I had only 10 minutes to get the car warm, not enough time to take it on the freeway. So, I drove there in 2nd gear (it's an automatic but I can manually choose 1st or 2nd), and at all the stop lights I put it in neutral and reved to 3500 RPM. I got nervous when the guy told me it would be about 45 minutes and the car was sitting there cooling off. I walked out to the car and asked him if I could watch and he told me "no, it will be ~25 minutes" and I sat in the waiting room. I think my acting antsy helped! It was a cheapo place ($42, OTD), and they won't do retests, so I wanted to pass on the first try. I figured it was worth the gamble.

I wonder if my EGR valve is sticky. If it didn't act right at 15 mph but was OK at 25 mph, that would explain the weird results.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifterut View Post
I dont think its the EGR or the CAT, my car just passed smog but was way high on NO readings too, like 90% of allowable, everything else was lower than 15% of allowable. And my car has no EGR system and a brand new CAT. I think its cause i burn oil but i could be wrong.
I don't burn any oil at all.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #17
exdeath
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifterut View Post
Oil doesn't cause NO, NO is strictly a function of combustion temperature which has to be pretty high for that combination to form. The whole function of EGR is to mix in some inert gas from the exhaust which reduces combustion chamber volume and absorbs heat (since it just sits there and occupies space without participating in the reaction).

Oil would only get you on a visual if it was bad enough to be smoking. The sniffer isn't looking for oil, just HC, NO, and CO. Not sure if burned oil registers as increased HC or not though, it's not quite the same as fuel chains.

Last edited by exdeath; 06-19-2010 at 03:39 AM.
exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #18
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

I wonder if my EGR valve is sticky. If it didn't act right at 15 mph but was OK at 25 mph, that would explain the weird results.
Would a "sticky" EGR device possibly explain the wildly different readings for NO at 15 mph and 25 mph? Is there a cheap/easy fix?

Last edited by Muse; 06-21-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #19
Pulsar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceb View Post
Cat converters need to hit a specific temperature in order to "light off"
The conversion of emissions does not happen until it is hot enough.That is why on later model cars, the converter is as close to the exhaust manifold on the motor as is possible. It heats up much faster.

See link for more information

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2000/ic60032.htm
Absolutely correct. I tested catalytic converters in a dyno lab for 2 years in a previous life. They cool down very quickly, because the substrate is a ceramic that doesn't retain heat well. It also takes 20-30 seconds for a downstream large cat to light off, and 5-15 seconds for the smaller 'pup' converters that are up against the exhaust.

The start up period of your car is the single most polluting time for your car, and can equal many miles of fully warmed up driving.

In addition, there are some (few) cars that have hydrocarbon traps. These catch the initial gush of hydrocarbons and then release them when they reach temperature. You don't want them releasing during your test if you can avoid it, so keep those puppys at operating temperatures.

Gosh I'm glad I'm not in the exhaust business anymore =).
Pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #20
Pulsar
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdeath View Post
Oil doesn't cause NO, NO is strictly a function of combustion temperature which has to be pretty high for that combination to form. The whole function of EGR is to mix in some inert gas from the exhaust which reduces combustion chamber volume and absorbs heat (since it just sits there and occupies space without participating in the reaction).

Oil would only get you on a visual if it was bad enough to be smoking. The sniffer isn't looking for oil, just HC, NO, and CO. Not sure if burned oil registers as increased HC or not though, it's not quite the same as fuel chains.
Nox formation, as you said, is a function of temperature. That is a function of air/fuel ratio, which is usually a function of O2 sensor function. If you're not pulling a code on the sensors though, I don't think that would be the issue.
Pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #21
obamanation
Banned

http://www.castlepackspower.com/Page...es/RSGDAN.html
obamanation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #22
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by obamanation View Post
Terrific link. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #23
ShawnD1
Lifer

I'm not a car guy, but one of my environmental chemistry textbooks said nitrogen oxides were created when the fuel mixture is lean. On the other side of the graph (rich) it would shoot out unburned carbon.

A random thought of what might work would be to run a richer fuel mixture to eliminate the NO then check if the catalytic converter is working properly since that is what eliminates unburned carbon.
ShawnD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #24
zoiks
Lifer

My 1990 240sx passed smog without any issues. Has 245k miles on it.
zoiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #25
Viperoni
Lifer

Quote:

Your 7 year old Maxima has 3 decent sized cats, and an efficient motor, you're citing a bad example to help your case.

Good link obamanation.