· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
chipy
Golden Member

Default One More: How do you rip out carpet?

OK, i'm still going strong with these questions and youz guyz are doing awesome so here's one more:

how do you all rip out carpeting? i know i have to get a utility knife with spare blades... but do you cut your carpeting into small pieces?

i'm not suppose to be able to remove carpet without the blade right? i mean, i can't just take it by the edge (where it meets the wall) and yank it out? also, if i want to try and resell it at deeeeeeeeeep discount, should i cut it bigger? <-- i think that's an obvious yes. either that or have the people who want to buy it cut it out.

either way, any techniques would be greatly appreciated. i'm also looked on youtube but only a couple of amateur vids without any real insightful tips.

thanx ATOT!

betternatethanlever.com - longest joke in the world

ressikanflute.com
chipy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
deadlyapp
Diamond Member

You can just yank on the corner if the nail strips let it go. You can buy specific carpet cutting blades that are sharp as balls and will tear right through it.

I don't think you'll be able to sell it for shit tho.
deadlyapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #3
alfa147x
Lifer

Used a box cutting knife to cut strips of carpet for easy removal + a crow bar to rip the nail strips out of the cement
Old 06-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

Usually you can pull it up from the nail strips with a decent pair of pliers. It's a great way to run cabling under the shoe molding. Those bitches are sharp as hell though so definitely be careful.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
WA261
Diamond Member

i do not know of anyone that would buy used carpet.

also, the tack board along the wall is going to be your main problem. No need to cut it up if you plan on selling it. Only reason you cut it up so you can toss the shit easier.
PROMETEIA MACH II (Baker Block Mods)\ FX-55 @ 3.6\ 3GB-G.Skill TCCD\ DFI NF4 Ultra-D\ eVGA 8800GTX \ Klipsch ULTRA 5.1\ RAZER Barracuda AC-1\ Ocz Xstreme 600w\ Philips 180 B2 (love this lcd =P)\ ThermalRock Circle Full Tower Case

RIG 2
X2 6400 @ 3.5\ 2GB PC2 6400\ DFI K9A2\ Audigy2 zs\ Enermax 550w\ eVGA 8800GT

RIG 3
Opteron 148 @ 3.2Ghz\ 1GB-HyperX 4000\ Neo4 Plat\ X800XL

Last edited by WA261; 06-15-2010 at 01:14 AM.
WA261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:51 AM   #6
nerp
Diamond Member

Selling used carpet?

AHAHAHAHAHAH. OMG.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:59 AM   #7
Locut0s
Lifer

Yeah don't try a resell it no one will buy it, trust me. Just use the utility blade and cut a long slide down the middle of the carpet. Then use your hands and have fun ripping. Rip and cut the carpet into manageable chunks. Not sure if you can recycle carpet, if you can't just throw it out. There will likely also be a layer of foam under the carpet that you will also want to remove / replace. Careful around the edges of the walls as the tack board is composed of lots of nails sticking up, eay to poke your fingers on those!

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice - Gabriel García Márquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude

Main System: i7 970 OCed to 4.2 | Noctua D14 | Gigabyte UD3R | 18GB (3x2 G.Skill) (3x4 Corsair) | Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD | 2x2TB WD Green in RAID 1 | Gigabyte 5970 | LG Blu-Ray DVD combo | Corsair 800D | Corsair 850HX PSU | Dell 3007 WFP 30" LCD | Samsung T240HD

MAME Cab: i7 920 Stock | i7 970s stock HSF | Intel DX58SO | 4GB cheap Kingston | 500GB WD HD | EVGA 8800 GTS | Genaric DVD combo | Lian Li PCV1200 | 400W PSU | Sony 21in Trinitron CRT
Locut0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #8
Locut0s
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa147x View Post
Used a box cutting knife to cut strips of carpet for easy removal + a crow bar to rip the nail strips out of the cement
Uhh don't do the latter if you are going to replace with new carpet! Guess this is kind of obvious.

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice - Gabriel García Márquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude

Main System: i7 970 OCed to 4.2 | Noctua D14 | Gigabyte UD3R | 18GB (3x2 G.Skill) (3x4 Corsair) | Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD | 2x2TB WD Green in RAID 1 | Gigabyte 5970 | LG Blu-Ray DVD combo | Corsair 800D | Corsair 850HX PSU | Dell 3007 WFP 30" LCD | Samsung T240HD

MAME Cab: i7 920 Stock | i7 970s stock HSF | Intel DX58SO | 4GB cheap Kingston | 500GB WD HD | EVGA 8800 GTS | Genaric DVD combo | Lian Li PCV1200 | 400W PSU | Sony 21in Trinitron CRT
Locut0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
dullard
Elite Member

I had my whole house recarpeted a year ago. To save money, I pulled up the old stuff (6 different carpets installed over many different years by many different people). In all cases, I just grabbed and pulled. It came up quite easilly. A pair of pliers helped in the few places where it was stuck under objects (such as a door).

My carpet was so bad, that I didn't try to sell it. But my parents have always been able to sell their old carpets (I think they tend to get about $20 a room). A cheap landlord is always looking for a good deal. Heck, even if you don't get cash having someone haul it away for you is worth it.

If you don't sell it, cut it into 4-5 foot widths, roll it up, and tie it with twine. That way you can carry it easilly and that way your trash collector will actually take it. If you leave it in 10+ foot widths, many trash collectors will just leave it there at your house rotting. Call them for details to be sure.
dullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
Thump553
Diamond Member

You're going to need a more heavy duty knife than a utility knife/box cutter. Also have a dust mask, some gloves and muscle.

If you are going to transport the old carpet, roll it with good side out. Otherwise the backside will quickly rub the paint off your car/truck.

Good luck selling it, you'd be doing good to be able to give it away versus having to pay to dump it.
Thump553 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
alfa147x
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locut0s View Post
Uhh don't do the latter if you are going to replace with new carpet! Guess this is kind of obvious.
Oh wait! I thought this was the guy asking about hardwood flooring
Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
gimmewhitecastles
Golden Member

With your bare hands!
gimmewhitecastles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
Ken g6
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerp View Post
Selling used carpet?

AHAHAHAHAHAH. OMG.
Hey, this Big Bob guy does it.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
daishi5
Golden Member

I have only ripped out my basement's carpeting, but it was glued to the cement floor. If your carpet is held down like that, they have a special tool for removing it, that makes the job so much easier. It is just a flat blade on the end of a long handle, but if the carpet or pad is glued down, get one.
daishi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #15
nerp
Diamond Member

Ech. I guess all I can say is who the hell buys used carpet? Slumlords was mentioned in this thread. Sounds cool.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #16
Oceandevi
Diamond Member

Just ask it nicely to leave.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #17
bobdole369
Diamond Member

I used to do it as a helper - second job on weekends.

Gotta be strong, real strong guys can just rip that shit after starting a slice. You really do just pull it out.

We installed new tack on every job so crowbar/paint scraper to start, watch the nails.

Quote:
do you cut your carpeting into small pieces?
I never had time for that. I'm a fat guy but not superman so I would cut into a couple manageable sections that rolled up, and i could usually do a bedroom into 2 equal bits to roll up and take out.

Quote:
You're going to need a more heavy duty knife than a utility knife/box cutter. Also have a dust mask, some gloves and muscle
I would also suggest maybe an apron or something. You will get this crap everywhere. People (if the prior occupant wasn't you) do disgusting shit to carpet. Skin flakes, hair, koolaid, piss, dogshit, mold, rats, maggots, ants, strange larvae, eggs, have all been found tearing out carpet.

Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance. Quit smoking and using nicotine in ***all*** its forms today.
bobdole369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #18
geno
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlyapp View Post
You can just yank on the corner if the nail strips let it go. You can buy specific carpet cutting blades that are sharp as balls and will tear right through it.
You can pull from the corner if you're trying to preserve it, if not, get a blade and cut right down the middle. Properly installed carpet is tensioned with the tack strip maintaining that pressure. Cutting down the middle relieves this pressure and makes it easier to pull up from the tack strip.
geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
lupi
Lifer

Put some warm wax down. Press wax paper against it. Give it a few moments to bond then the big yank.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/...=ascend_invite
lupi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #20
DougK62
Diamond Member

I've bought used carpet before to use in a garage.
DougK62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #21
DayLaPaul
Platinum Member

The utility blade will help you get started, but once you start ripping it up, you'll soon realize that there's not really much holding the carpet in place. Next room you'll be able to remove it without any tools if you wanted to.
DayLaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #22
zebano
Diamond Member

Remove trim, grab carpet and pull.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #23
DrPizza
Administrator
Elite Member
Goat Whisperer

What they said ^^^
Unless you're talking about a carpet that's glued down; which is unlikely in a residential house.