Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Anonemous
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 7,187
Default Interviewing after already accepting a job offer

Is it discourteous to interview after already accepting an offer? I applied to many companies months ago and I finally got responses last month. I accepted an offer and the position still hasn't started (HR says it's going to take a month at least to process employment). This week I get a call from a recruiter from one of the companies that I was interested in and they want to interview me.

Should I go to it or would that be rude?

Update: Last week I get an email stating the position was put on hold.

(6/23) Today I get an offer from an engineering contractor firm for that position.

Last edited by Anonemous; 06-23-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Anonemous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
dougp
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 7,157
Default

I would go - how would the company that hired you know? Hear them out, it could be something that will challenge you more and further your career, or provide more pay.
dougp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
spidey07
No Lifer
 
spidey07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 65,361
Default

I'd go. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Current place isn't your employer, they become that when they are paying you. A freaking month? Never heard of anything like that, normally they want you to start immediately.
__________________
___
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
spidey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
rcpratt
Diamond Member
 
rcpratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,552
Default

Do it. At the very worst, it will be good interviewing experience. At best, you'll get a better offer or a similar offer for a more interesting job.

I did a few interviews after I accepted a job this spring (to start after I graduated), but knowing that I wouldn't accept any of them. I didn't have to interview for the job I had accepted, and wanted to get some experience.
rcpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
Adrenaline
Diamond Member
 
Adrenaline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In front of the computer
Posts: 4,774
Default

Interview with the new company, they may turn out to be a better fit for you. You can always turn a job down for any reason you come up with. There is nothing wrong with a couple options for jobs.
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Zargon
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 11,638
Default

do it
__________________
heatware | steam | ebay
Reaumur(Gamer): Silverstone Raven02, Antec HCG900, Z77 Fata1ity/3770K, 16GB DDR3-1833, 2x7950@1Ghz, 27" IPS
Kelvin(3D-HTPC):Q9550 w/H50, P5G41, 4GB DDR2-1066, 5870 w accellero xtreme
Chill(Server): Thuban x6@3.3 wH50 8gb ddr3 4x1.5tb ESXi
Zargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
her209
No Lifer
 
her209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: ::1
Posts: 55,716
Default

Its a trap!
__________________
Stop pleasing others and start pleasing yourself.
her209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Deeko
Lifer
 
Deeko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 29,775
Default

Towards the end of college, I accepted an offer from a small company I had interned with. A month later, I got an interview with a much bigger/better company. I interviewed, and received a much better offer. It was a very difficult decision (well, picking the latter company was, but doing so after accepting the first was not), but in the end I talked it over with the first company, they understood, and I took the second job.

I still feel bad about it, but I had to do what was best for me. I suggest you at least take the interview. It doesn't mean you have to accept an offer from them.
Deeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
SandEagle
Lifer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middle East Side
Posts: 16,029
Default

do it. corporations only care about what best for their interest; you should do the same
__________________
Fear is what keeps you alive. Never not be afraid.
http://forums.anandtech.com/member.php?u=219806
SandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
jjsole
Lifer
 
jjsole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Aug 2000
Posts: 27,248
Default

If they aren't paying to retain you for the month, then you don't work for them and should set up the other interview.

Waiting 1 month before signing a candidate who you've given an offer to is terribly risky and/or presumptuous, muchless stupid on their part. If you find a better fit/offer, you should do what's best for yourself.

The last thing you want to do is wait a month and hear that business issues have changed and they are in a hiring freeze now.
jjsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
bruceb
Diamond Member
 
bruceb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wayne, New Jersey
Posts: 7,136
Default

Just be courteous in turning down the first job. Say something like, it's a better fit for my skills or an easier commute, nicer area. Something like that. And in my view, they did extend an offer to you, but it should not take 1 month before you start. Unless you signed a contract and you wanted to wait for your reasons. Like leaving current job or vacation first.
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
joebloggs10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 153
Default

It also doesn't hurt that if you get an offer from the second company but choose to honor your commitment to the first, you can usually set it up so that you have a standing offer for employment in the future if you handle things right.
joebloggs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
God Mode
Platinum Member
 
God Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,902
Default

Screw the first company. A month is ridiculous and unless you signed something, they can easily tell you that the position is no longer available.
God Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #14
Anonemous
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 7,187
Default

Thanks for the advice. I'll interview there next week then.
Anonemous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
Anonemous
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 7,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Mode View Post
Screw the first company. A month is ridiculous and unless you signed something, they can easily tell you that the position is no longer available.
Well I signed their offer letter for the position but HR is sure dragging their feet even after I filled out all the forms and provided documents for citizenship.
Anonemous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
invidia
Platinum Member
 
invidia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: An Igloo
Posts: 2,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Mode View Post
Screw the first company. A month is ridiculous and unless you signed something, they can easily tell you that the position is no longer available.
I'm in the same situation as the OP. I got an offer and accepted a month ago. I submitted all the required documents 4 weeks ago. Last week someone was suppose contact me about a possible start date.

But it's a different story if it's the slow ass federal government or even a defense contractor doing a clearance review (my case). With ANY other company, I would say the hell with it if nothing happened in a month after accepting an offer.

I also got a couple of calls and interviews during that time. I went ahead with them just to check them out.
__________________
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
invidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #17
God Mode
Platinum Member
 
God Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,902
Default

Do some research to see if the first company isn't the second company trying to test your resolve.
God Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #18
Eli
Super Moderator
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 50,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Mode View Post
Do some research to see if the first company isn't the second company trying to test your resolve.
Seriously? Quite frankly, I wouldn't want to work for a company that did shit like that.

Discourteous? This isn't a relative. Who cares? This is your life. You have to look out for yourself. If you receive a better offer after accepting, that's tough - for them.

Would it be discourteous to look for a better job while you're already employed? Of course not. That's silly.
__________________
http://www.bumblebeebatteries.com

2001 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #163P - 158,388 miles and counting as of 7/2011
Best Trip - 82.0MPG over 1200 miles
2001 Honda Insight 5MT - 450,000 miles and counting as of 2/2012 (Fiancee's)
Best Trip - 92.4MPG over 400 miles
2000 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #173P, BCM Gauge, OBDIIC&C Gauge, Upgraded 8Ah battery - 227,248 miles and counting as of 10/2011
Best Trip - 83.1mpg over 458mi
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #19
God Mode
Platinum Member
 
God Mode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Seriously? Quite frankly, I wouldn't want to work for a company that did shit like that.

Discourteous? This isn't a relative. Who cares? This is your life. You have to look out for yourself. If you receive a better offer after accepting, that's tough - for them.

Would it be discourteous to look for a better job while you're already employed? Of course not. That's silly.
Companies do all sorts of strange stuff. My last employer would strategically place 5 dollar bills next to his feet when talking to someone and walk away to see the results. HR searching for personal information about you on the internet/facebook is just as strange.
God Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #20
Eli
Super Moderator
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 50,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Mode View Post
Companies do all sorts of strange stuff. My last employer would strategically place 5 dollar bills next to his feet when talking to someone and walk away to see the results. HR searching for personal information about you on the internet/facebook is just as strange.
That's crazy.. lol.

I'd pick up the bill and send out a mass email saying something like;

"Dear Team,

"Found: 5$ bill. Please provide a serial number and description to claim your lost article. You have 30 days."

__________________
http://www.bumblebeebatteries.com

2001 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #163P - 158,388 miles and counting as of 7/2011
Best Trip - 82.0MPG over 1200 miles
2001 Honda Insight 5MT - 450,000 miles and counting as of 2/2012 (Fiancee's)
Best Trip - 92.4MPG over 400 miles
2000 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #173P, BCM Gauge, OBDIIC&C Gauge, Upgraded 8Ah battery - 227,248 miles and counting as of 10/2011
Best Trip - 83.1mpg over 458mi
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #21
fleshconsumed
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,619
Default

Go for it. In the end you have to do what's best for you. New company may provide better offer/position or might be an overall better fit for you. Even if you just started working there and only spent one week there, I'd still advise you to go to the interview. Never turn down an opportunity.

Last edited by fleshconsumed; 06-09-2010 at 08:12 PM.
fleshconsumed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #22
SaDiZTiKStyLeZ
Lifer
 
SaDiZTiKStyLeZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: THE INTERNET
Posts: 10,587
Default

Go for it.
__________________
I understand your opinion. I just don't care about it...
Youtube | GameTZ | HeatWare
SaDiZTiKStyLeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #23
Key West
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 922
Default

Go for it. Your company would forget about you and move on in 10 mins.
Key West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #24
Ns1
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: A Warm Place
Posts: 41,300
Default

hell yes because the company wouldn't hesitate for a second to do the same shit to you
__________________
Racing KT to NoLifer...a true race to the bottom.
Ns1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #25
alkemyst
No Lifer
 
alkemyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Corner of EPIC and ┼WESOME ST.
Posts: 78,964
Default

it doesn't even hurt to interview post getting the job.

If a better offer is made always give your current employer a shot, but in all fairness your time is a commodity and should go to the best offer for it.

Keep in mind the best offer isn't always measured in dollars.
__________________
The Masamune blade would repel the leaves and let them flow safely down the stream, while the Murasame blade would attract and cut them up.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.