Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > Software for Windows

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
SR1729
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 602
Default Small Business Owner: Recommend an alternative to QuickBooks

I'm a small business owner with QuickBooks Pro 2007. I'm sick of the bloated beast that is QuickBooks. I'm also rather put off by the fact that they castrate their software after a few years (beginning June of this year, 2007 users will no longer be able to email invoices to clients, for instance).

Can anyone recommend an alternative? It doesn't even have to be free. I don't mind paying for good accounting software as long as it's not designed to bend me over. Of course, if there's a free/open source option, even better. I've done some of this research already, but I'd like to hear from others here who've made "the switch".

Last edited by allisolm; 04-21-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: moved from OT
SR1729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
SlitheryDee
Lifer
 
SlitheryDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 15,070
Default

I hear peachtree is good.

I've never used anything but quickbooks though. I have my gripes about it, but I'm not sure I could do without the integration it has with quickbooks POS.
__________________
"Time is your total capital, and the minutes of your life are painfully few". R.A.H.

Official Member of The Predator > Terminator Club.
SlitheryDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
SR1729
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 602
Default

Fortunately, I just need basic accounting functions. I don't even process my own payroll (using Paycor for that). I just use it to keep track of my time, invoice customers, and track business expenses.
SR1729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
rasczak
Lifer
 
rasczak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 10,404
Default

I'd like to know too.
__________________
You cannot beat the cock no matter where you go. - Rubycon
rasczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
PricklyPete
Lifer
 
PricklyPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,008
Default

I'll install SAP at your site if you want. You'll have to negotiate the software price with SAP...but my consulting services will come out to about a million. Game?
__________________
"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" - The Dude

"I just wish, that at road speeds, it would occasionally put its hand down the front of my trousers and have a little rummage." - Clarkson on the GT-R
PricklyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
ViviTheMage
Lifer
 
ViviTheMage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 35,164
Default

MINT.COM ?

outside of my billing software, I use an xcel sheet still.
__________________
Mad Genius Hosting -Web hosting, Cloud VPS, and Dedicated solutions...
30% off ALL services : AT30-vivi

vivi's blog

238-0-0
ViviTheMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
SR1729
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViviTheMage View Post
MINT.COM ?

outside of my billing software, I use an xcel sheet still.
What billing software do you use?
SR1729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
imagoon
Diamond Member
 
imagoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 4,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricklyPete View Post
I'll install SAP at your site if you want. You'll have to negotiate the software price with SAP...but my consulting services will come out to about a million. Game?
I <3 paying 30k a year just for the privilege of running accounting software!
imagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
PricklyPete
Lifer
 
PricklyPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 13,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagoon View Post
I <3 paying 30k a year just for the privilege of running accounting software!
LOL...but it's German engineered...so it's got to be good. Everyone knows this.
__________________
"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" - The Dude

"I just wish, that at road speeds, it would occasionally put its hand down the front of my trousers and have a little rummage." - Clarkson on the GT-R
PricklyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #10
D1gger
Diamond Member
 
D1gger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Victoria/Vancouver
Posts: 5,392
Default

When my wife was a bookkeeper for a living she liked Simply Accounting
__________________
Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but the realization of how much you already have.

All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone. - Blaise Pascal
D1gger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
JS80
Lifer
 
JS80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 26,285
Default

Microsoft Office Accounting?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoberFett View Post
95% of what Craig says is stupid. The other 5% is REALLY stupid.
JS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #12
The-Noid
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,117
Default

Mind Your Own Business is supposedly good.

I always liked peachtree.

Microsoft Excel works too or paying someone else...
The-Noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
CPA
Elite Member
 
CPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 28,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1gger View Post
When my wife was a bookkeeper for a living she liked Simply Accounting
I've used this as well. It worked well enough. I believe I paid $99 for it about 5 years ago.
__________________
Temp Heroes - BoomerD, skyking, jacob0401, EagleKeeper, alchemyst, Sabot, Shinerburke, bob4432
CPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #14
BoomerD
Lifer
 
BoomerD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Where I hang my hat.
Posts: 44,781
Default

I prefer Peachtree to QuickBooks, but it's more detail oriented and takes more time to do things. IMO, it's designed for a full-time bookkeeper rather than a business owner trying to muddle through his own stuff.

Another good (albeit fairly expensive) option is Sage's Business Works. VERY good program, fairly easy to use, can be as detailed as you want.

IMO, Microsoft Office Accounting sux. It was the worst of the bunch when I was in school a couple of years ago. I did the same exact project with Peachtree, QuickBooks, and MOA. Peachtree gave the best over-all detailed results, QuickBooks was by far easier, but less detailed, and MOA was a bloated PITA to deal with...and the end results weren't nearly as good.
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #15
chusteczka
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NW Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,392
Default

I have recently been considering the same question.

Wikipedia has a comparison listing of accounting software. It includes the following categories:
  • Free and open source software
  • Propietary software

Does anyone have any experience with any of the free and open source software?

One thing I noticed is none of the free and open source software seems to provide Inventory Control or Inventory Management functionality. This is something I am looking for.
chusteczka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #16
JS80
Lifer
 
JS80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 26,285
Default

Any web-based one besides QB Online?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoberFett View Post
95% of what Craig says is stupid. The other 5% is REALLY stupid.
JS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #17
manlymatt83
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,645
Default

freshbooks.com

/thread

(EDIT: i use them for two projects, love them)
manlymatt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #18
highland145
Lifer
 
highland145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: S.C.
Posts: 21,566
Default

Like others have said, excel is great. Combine it with Excel by Walkenbach and you'll be set.

http://www.amazon.com/Excel-2007-For...4&amp;sr=8-1-spell

Open office is free and will do 95% of what excel will.
__________________
C. B. W. 4/3/1937-10/17/2013
highland145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #19
Mike Gayner
Diamond Member
 
Mike Gayner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,179
Default

The best small accounting software available is a NZ made product called Xero, but I'm not sure if it's available in USA yet (it's an online accounting package).

I'm an accountant and have been getting more and more of my clients off piggish software like Quickbooks and MYOB onto this.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #20
Mike Gayner
Diamond Member
 
Mike Gayner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,179
Default

BTW for those people above recommending Excel - I don't know what the OPs business is, but Excel is not accounting software, and is not nearly powerful/useful enough to run most of the businesses I'm involved with.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #21
highland145
Lifer
 
highland145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: S.C.
Posts: 21,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner View Post
BTW for those people above recommending Excel - I don't know what the OPs business is, but Excel is not accounting software, and is not nearly powerful/useful enough to run most of the businesses I'm involved with.
Agree but he said he needed it to "track time, invoice customers, and track business expenses." And since I'm a cheap bastard....
__________________
C. B. W. 4/3/1937-10/17/2013
highland145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #22
stlcardinals
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS80 View Post
Microsoft Office Accounting?
Discontinued.
stlcardinals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #23
Mickey3D
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Default Alternative to QuickBooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1729 View Post
I'm a small business owner with QuickBooks Pro 2007. I'm sick of the bloated beast that is QuickBooks. I'm also rather put off by the fact that they castrate their software after a few years (beginning June of this year, 2007 users will no longer be able to email invoices to clients, for instance).

Can anyone recommend an alternative? It doesn't even have to be free. I don't mind paying for good accounting software as long as it's not designed to bend me over. Of course, if there's a free/open source option, even better. I've done some of this research already, but I'd like to hear from others here who've made "the switch".

Hi,
I suggest you to have a look at TioLive. This is a free and Open Source competitor of QuickBooks which is very efficient according to me (we use it in business). You can manage all the operations that you want, you can learn by yourself how to use it thinks to tutorials and since it is online, you just have to register on the platform.
Moreover, the accounting part is very complete : you track each accounting operation, you manage your inventory, you can generate the State of Accounts and the Balance sheets, etc. I like it !
Mickey3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #24
JS80
Lifer
 
JS80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 26,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner View Post
The best small accounting software available is a NZ made product called Xero, but I'm not sure if it's available in USA yet (it's an online accounting package).

I'm an accountant and have been getting more and more of my clients off piggish software like Quickbooks and MYOB onto this.
Xero has no inventory function.

Any recommend any web-based accounting system besides QB and Xero?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoberFett View Post
95% of what Craig says is stupid. The other 5% is REALLY stupid.
JS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #25
manlymatt83
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,645
Default

freshbooks.com


/thread

seriously...
manlymatt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.