· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
Slickone
Diamond Member

Default Sony receiver "protect" mode?

I have a Sony STR-D665 receiver, that states "protect" on the display about 2 seconds after turning it on, and it won't do anything. Does anyone know how to fix this? It does it regardless of anything connected to it or not.
Slickone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
bruceb
Diamond Member

That is usually caused by a short in one of the speakers. Try disconnecting them one by one to see when (if) it does finally power up. Keep the volume Down. When it does, that one has the problem.
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Fallen Kell
Diamond Member

That or an internal fuse/circuit breaker has switched. You may also need to do a full factory reset, which is typically accomplished by pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds and a screen will appear with something like "Press Enter to Clear All", hit "enter" on the remote and it will then flush to factory settings. Just make sure you have written down all your configuration data like speaker distance settings, EQ settings, SPL level matching settings, etc., etc., before you do this since all of that will be removed.
Fallen Kell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
Slickone
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceb View Post
That is usually caused by a short in one of the speakers. Try disconnecting them one by one to see when (if) it does finally power up. Keep the volume Down. When it does, that one has the problem.
As I said, it does it without anything connected (incl. speakers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Kell View Post
That or an internal fuse/circuit breaker has switched. You may also need to do a full factory reset, which is typically accomplished by pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds and a screen will appear with something like "Press Enter to Clear All", hit "enter" on the remote and it will then flush to factory settings. Just make sure you have written down all your configuration data like speaker distance settings, EQ settings, SPL level matching settings, etc., etc., before you do this since all of that will be removed.
That doesn't seem to work on this model. It's an older receiver that doesn't have an 'enter'. This shows pictures of it.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:59 AM   #5
PM650

It's probably detecting DC on the output of one of the channels. If it was being overdriven before this happened, it could be a shorted output transistor. Otherwise, hard to say without opening it up.
PM650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Slickone
Diamond Member

It is opened. Not that I really know how to troubleshoot circuits. But I didn't see anything burned. There is a glass tube fuse by the transformer that looks good. I looked for cold solder joints, but I'm no pro, so if there are any, I could easily miss them.
Probably already assumed, but when it does go into protect mode, I can hear the transformer click off. The same noise it makes when you turn it on.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Number1
Diamond Member

Exclamation

COuld be a shorted output transistor. If you can identify them try measuring them with a ohm meter. If there is a problem youll see a dead short between the leads.

You might also want to put a ohm meter between the speaker output terminal and see if there is a difference between some of them. Just a shot in the dark but you never know and make sure you unplug the unit before you make your measurements.
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Number1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
bruceb
Diamond Member

You can download the service manual from here (it has the schematics and parts list)
You need to enter a code so the site knows it is a human asking for it. Also the .pdf comes up in an odd view, but Esc in Acrobat will put it back to a normal view in Adobe reader.

http://www.givemefile.net/smanuals/r...ile/30453.html
Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
Slickone
Diamond Member

^
I get this when I try to download it:
"Sorry. Model description. SONY STR-D665 is temporary unavailable."
Old 04-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
bruceb
Diamond Member

I was just able to redownload it .... you need to enter the validation code. If you want PM me your Email and I can send you the file.