· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
Zorro
Platinum Member

Default Just bought the Droid Eris

Just bought a new one on Ebay hope I will be happy with it. My first venture into a smartphone with VZW

AnandTech Moderator
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
AFurryReptile
Golden Member

I just got one as a free upgrade to my contract. It's a nice phone, but hasn't been updated to Android 2.0 yet. We're supposed to see that sometime before the first half of the year is up.
AFurryReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Buttzilla
Platinum Member

arghhh i'm trying to hold out for the nexus but i'm ready to give in. i'm using an old samsung flip phone after my glyde shitted out on me and i hate it with a passion! why did you guys get the eris instead of the droid? i know it's free/cheaper but don't you want the stronger processor, better res?
Buttzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
AFurryReptile
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttzilla View Post
arghhh i'm trying to hold out for the nexus but i'm ready to give in. i'm using an old samsung flip phone after my glyde shitted out on me and i hate it with a passion! why did you guys get the eris instead of the droid? i know it's free/cheaper but don't you want the stronger processor, better res?
I have a computer for playing games, I don't need a better processor. I'm able to stream Last.fm while driving the car, make calls, send texts, browse the internet, etc, simultaneously without any issues. I don't need a bigger processor. Plus I couldn't argue with free.

And for the record, it's called a DROID Eris. It's running the Android OS. I'm not sure why you say it isn't a droid.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
Fritzo
Lifer

Heh, you'll be wishing you bought the Droid after a month with the Eris. Sorry. That's why there's so many on Ebay. It's a well designed phone, but it's just a bit underpowered for the Android OS.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #6
Zorro
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzo View Post
Heh, you'll be wishing you bought the Droid after a month with the Eris. Sorry. That's why there's so many on Ebay. It's a well designed phone, but it's just a bit underpowered for the Android OS.
I can deal with the slower processor The size was a big factor andI think the Moto Droid looks ugly

AnandTech Moderator
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Fritzo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFurryReptile View Post
I have a computer for playing games, I don't need a better processor. I'm able to stream Last.fm while driving the car, make calls, send texts, browse the internet, etc, simultaneously without any issues. I don't need a bigger processor. Plus I couldn't argue with free.

And for the record, it's called a DROID Eris. It's running the Android OS. I'm not sure why you say it isn't a droid.
I'm not sure it will be updated from Android 1.6. The processor isn't fast enough. You notice how it takes a while for some webpages to load and Youtube videos are hit and miss? That's the processor.

Most people refer to the Droid as the Motorola Droid. The Eris was the entry level phone that most people skipped over. Like I said above, people generally weren't happy with it's performance so Ebay is flooded with them. They're selling their free phone so they can put the money towards a Motorola Droid.

Also, not sure how you make calls and browse the Internet simultaneously- only ATT can do that
Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
TruePaige
Diamond Member

I have the HTC Hero (same phone in the hardware).

It's an amazing phone. I can do so much with it, it really is my mini-PC. Music, Video, Games (some great turn based strategy games for killing time), Voice Recorder, Speaker Phone, Visual Voice Mail, Navigation, Google Services, etc..Great Stuff!

If you want your phone to be fast and responsive you NEED one app!

The Android Task Killer App.

It is amazing, shows available RAM and lets you kill open apps to free the RAM. Great App.

The only phone I am drooling for (will be affordable by the time I am eligible for an upgrade) is the HTC EVO 4G.

4G network speeds! Amazing. A 720p camcorder, 8 megapixel camera with flash. a 1.3 megapixel camera on the front for video chat, the snapdragon 1ghz processor, a kickstand that flips out of the back for watching movies, 4.3 inch screen, HDMI output

It is DAMN amazing.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/h...perphone-armo/
TruePaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #9
TruePaige
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm not sure it will be updated from Android 1.6. The processor isn't fast enough. You notice how it takes a while for some webpages to load and Youtube videos are hit and miss? That's the processor.

Most people refer to the Droid as the Motorola Droid. The Eris was the entry level phone that most people skipped over. Like I said above, people generally weren't happy with it's performance so Ebay is flooded with them. They're selling their free phone so they can put the money towards a Motorola Droid.

Also, not sure how you make calls and browse the Internet simultaneously- only ATT can do that
1) The HTC Hero (Sprint's version of the Droid Eris) is getting an update to Android 2.1 this year (Q2 they are saying) so it should get an update as well.

2) I can make calls and browse the web at the same time, as long as I am on WIFI, doesn't work currently otherwise.

3) Webpages and youtube videos blaze for me, even when not on WIFI..so..0.o..I do use the task killer to keep a good bit of free RAM though.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 AM   #10
AFurryReptile
Golden Member

Quote:

We already have heard from Verizon that there WILL be an update to 2.1 sometime the first half of this year, they've promised that. There's already unlocked phones out there running it just fine.

I have to agree with Zorro though, the size and look of this phone was a pretty big selling point for me.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #11
postmortemIA
Diamond Member

Droid has 854 x 480 resolution, eris has much lower

postmortemIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
dguy6789
Diamond Member

Quote:
T-Mobile can do it too.
dguy6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
Fritzo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguy6789 View Post
T-Mobile can do it too.
Well ya, I guess any GSM carrier can. Don't tell that to Luke Wilson though- it will make him sad.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
SlowSpyder
Diamond Member

I haven't had a cell phone since the 90's, I finally caved in a few months ago and got the Droid. It's pretty slick, but given that I haven't had a phone in years any of them would probably amaze me.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
FelixDeCat
Lifer

Good for you!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
JS80
Lifer

have fun paying $100/mo for cell service
JS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
sswingle
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:

2.1 is coming, there are already 2 leaked 2.1 builds you can install. I am running one of them.

Also, contrary to popular belief, 2.1 makes the Eris run faster due to it being coded better.
sswingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #18
Anubis
No Lifer

Quote:
Not everyone is like that, My sister and Bro inlaw both have the Eris and love it, both came from using BBs for years

Fedex delevered my Droid today, went with it over the other offerings simply because i HATE touch screen keyboards
Anubis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #19
AstroManLuca
Lifer

What you're paying per month for data service dwarfs the cost of the phone over time, so I'm not sure why you'd get a worse phone. I mean, a lot of people don't think of it that way and only look at the cost of the phone itself, but that's pretty shortsighted.

Oh look, you can get a Droid for $20. See, that's how much cell phone carriers want you to go on their $70+/mo plans. I don't even know why low-end smartphones exist other than to rip off people who think they're making a smart financial decision by saving $20 or $50 up front.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #20
TruePaige
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroManLuca View Post
What you're paying per month for data service dwarfs the cost of the phone over time, so I'm not sure why you'd get a worse phone. I mean, a lot of people don't think of it that way and only look at the cost of the phone itself, but that's pretty shortsighted.

Oh look, you can get a Droid for $20. See, that's how much cell phone carriers want you to go on their $70+/mo plans. I don't even know why low-end smartphones exist other than to rip off people who think they're making a smart financial decision by saving $20 or $50 up front.
Family Plan with discount through Sprint currently has 3 people for ~$100..
Old 03-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #21
theblackbox
Golden Member

i just updated mine to the second leak. very smooth and fast little phone.

if you bought the motorola, after using the keyboard once, you'd wish you bought the eris. the eris keyboard is unmatched, period. not even the iphone has as good a keyboard.
the sense ui is the best ui on the market.

it's a great little phone, and has the best form factor.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #22
Fox5
Diamond Member

If the phone doesn't get an OS update, you can always install one of the custom firmwares out there.

Also, newer versions of android are supposed to have speed updates. Google is doing some tweaking to the just in time compiler.

heatware
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=35565
Fox5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #23
Fritzo
Lifer

I would like to apologize for my earlier thread crapping post. I never make posts like that saying someone made a poor purchase. If you are happy with your phone purchase, I am happy for you. If you're new to smart phones, the Android platform is a hell of a place to start!

Check out one of the several Android mods out there. You can really do some cool things with it.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #24
judasmachine
Diamond Member

Had mine since Nov. 6th, and love it. I'd like to see 2.1 on it but as it is, it does everything I want it to....

With the exception of Google Navigation. Come on VZW we know you have the ROM, and it works.
judasmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #25
ObscureCaucasian
Diamond Member

Anybody test drive the Skype app VZW just realeased for the Droid/Droid Eris? I'm hoping Sprint gets some kind of Skype Video/Google Video Chat app once the EVO 4G comes out to take advantage of that front facing camera (assuming one doesn't already exist)...
ObscureCaucasian is offline   Reply With Quote