· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
JEDI
Lifer

Default How did I get a Pinched nerve near the shoulder blade?

I started doing Stronglifts again.

Squats
pushups
reverse crunches

during my 1st set of reverse crunches, i felt pain near my right shoulder blade. it feels like a pinched nerve.

besides a couple of days rest, what else can i do?

and how did i get the pinched nerve?
-He got away with the kill but Marilyn Monroe got her revenge in a murder/suicide.
Proof God exists: https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...06913729_n.png I blame Bush!

Last edited by JEDI; 03-14-2010 at 01:17 PM.
JEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
SociallyChallenged
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEDI View Post
I started doing Stronglifts again.

Squats
pushups
reverse crunches

during my 1st set of reverse crunches, i felt pain near my right shoulder blade. it feels like a pinched nerve.

besides a couple of days rest, what else can i do?
Well, where exactly did you feel it? Was it beneath your scapula? Was it in between your scapulae, closer to the right side? The best thing you can typically do is some light exercise involving the area that's sensitive. There's not many nerves that can get pinched in the meat of the back so it may be muscle spasm or tightness. To fix that, you can contract the muscle(s)/area, hold it for something like 5 seconds, and relax. This allows the muscle to relax to a greater degree than rest. I'd do that maybe 5-10 times, three times per day. It may take a couple of days to loosen up - I had a very similar problem not long ago and it took about 2 days to feel better.
I am a doctor of physical therapy. Information I provide is based on subjective report alone. This frequently results in speculation and, as a result, may not always be accurate. Thus I am not liable for any action taken based on information provided.

Now offering physical therapy consultation services via Skype, e-mail, and phone. Please PM me for details.
SociallyChallenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
eits
Lifer

chances are you got a subscapular bursitis or a subluxated rib, not a pinched nerve.

the easiest way to get rid of something like that is to have a chiropractor adjust your rib and spine and retract your shoulder, making it possible to stuff his hand under your scapula to rub out adhesions in the bursa. that should do the trick almost instantly.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
SociallyChallenged
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eits View Post
chances are you got a subscapular bursitis or a subluxated rib, not a pinched nerve.

the easiest way to get rid of something like that is to have a chiropractor adjust your rib and spine and retract your shoulder, making it possible to stuff his hand under your scapula to rub out adhesions in the bursa. that should do the trick almost instantly.
It depends on where the pain is and how it feels - throbbing, shooting, dull, pronounced. Especially if the OP has been stressed lately, I'd say it's likely muscle. If it doesn't feel like muscle pain, then these are two legitimate suggestions. Commonly, I find myself with general muscle tightness that causes the pain that the OP describes. I don't have as much experience with subluxation and bursitis as I'd like so I forget about those
I am a doctor of physical therapy. Information I provide is based on subjective report alone. This frequently results in speculation and, as a result, may not always be accurate. Thus I am not liable for any action taken based on information provided.

Now offering physical therapy consultation services via Skype, e-mail, and phone. Please PM me for details.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
JEDI
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eits View Post

the pain is on the left side of the right shoulder blade. (ie: between the shoulder blade and spine)

u maybe right in that i need a chiro.

when i turn my head left, it also hurts that area.

edit:
meant to say between left side of right shoulder blade. edited my post
-He got away with the kill but Marilyn Monroe got her revenge in a murder/suicide.
Proof God exists: https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...06913729_n.png I blame Bush!

Last edited by JEDI; 03-14-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
SociallyChallenged
Elite

Quote:
the pain is on the right side of the right shoulder blade.

u maybe right in that i need a chiro.

when i turn my head left, it also hurts that area.
If there's poor localization of pain, it could even be one of your rotator cuff muscles. Is it a sharp pain or dull pain? Throbbing? Stabbing? You didn't answer I have rotator cuff problems and turning my head to the opposite side (like you state) makes my supraspinatus sore since it pulls my arm away from my scapula.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
JEDI
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SociallyChallenged View Post
If there's poor localization of pain, it could even be one of your rotator cuff muscles. Is it a sharp pain or dull pain? Throbbing? Stabbing? You didn't answer I have rotator cuff problems and turning my head to the opposite side (like you state) makes my supraspinatus sore since it pulls my arm away from my scapula.
dull constant pain while at rest. when i turn my head, it seems like its in one specific spot.

i've had rotator cuff injuries in both shoulders. physical therapy cured both. maybe i reinjured it at the gym? (but if so, it doesnt feel like the rotator cuff injury of the past.)

edit:
obviously, if this pain continues for more than a few days, i'm seeing my primary care doc and take it from there.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
SociallyChallenged
Elite

Quote:
dull constant pain while at rest. when i turn my head, it seems like its in one specific spot.

i've had rotator cuff injuries in both shoulders. physical therapy cured both. maybe i reinjured it at the gym? (but if so, it doesnt feel like the rotator cuff injury of the past.)

edit:
obviously, if this pain continues for more than a few days, i'm seeing my primary care doc and take it from there.
You could have very easily injured your rotator cuff, especially if you have a history of issues with it. Yeah, it could be infraspinatus issues, especially if it's a dull throb. It could also be subscapular bursitis, as eits suggested. Either way, I'd take some ibuprofen before going to bed and would ice it as well. Good luck, bud.