· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
Baasha
Golden Member

Default How to record gameplay (xbox 360/PS3) in HD?

Guys,

I'd like to record my gameplay on Xbox 360 & PS3 in HD.

I have a Pinnacle capture device that allows me to record in SD but I want to record in HD.

The thing is, I know I can record in HD using component cables and the Hauppauge HD-PVR but I want to record gameplay using HDMI cables, especially for the PS3.

I heard about this product (link: http://blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/) but I'm not sure if that is enough for me to record gameplay in HD using HDMI. This is mainly due to a concern about the nonsensical HDCP issue wherein the PS3's HDMI port requires HDCP compliance at all times with the other device.

Can anyone elaborate on this? Has anyone been able to record gameplay in HD using HDMI cables? I have Fraps on my PC so I'd like to record PS3/Xbox360 games in FULL HD (1080p) using that BlackMagic "Intensity" device or something similar to it using the HDMI cables.

Thanks in advance.
Baasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
JoPh
Diamond Member

use this

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1212...205593&sr=8-11
Old 02-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
Baasha
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoPh View Post
did you even read my post? I am aware of the Hauppauge HD-PVR but that only allows component cables and NOT HDMI. I want to record HD gameplay using HDMI cables.
Baasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
HardcoreRobot
Lifer

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdtocoad.html
HardcoreRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Lotheron
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baasha View Post
did you even read my post? I am aware of the Hauppauge HD-PVR but that only allows component cables and NOT HDMI. I want to record HD gameplay using HDMI cables.
The problem with recording over HDMI is HDCP. Component is good enough for recording as it will be compressed at some point anyway. For what it's worth, component is not compressed.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
erwos
Diamond Member

The PS3 always has HDCP enabled over HDMI, thus you will NEED to use the analog outputs to record gameplay.

The 360, to the best of my knowledge, only enables HDCP when playing genuinely protected material (and games are not protected), so some of the HDMI capture solutions might work for that, like the BlackMagic Intensity card.
Handhelds: PSP Go, PS Vita, 3DS XL, GBA-SP, SGS3, iPhone 4
erwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
Lotheron
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post
The PS3 always has HDCP enabled over HDMI, thus you will NEED to use the analog outputs to record gameplay.

The 360, to the best of my knowledge, only enables HDCP when playing genuinely protected material (and games are not protected), so some of the HDMI capture solutions might work for that, like the BlackMagic Intensity card.
This. However, the BM card is more expensive the than the HD-PVR and the quality will be similar anyway especially when you're talking about h.264 compression.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
wild_asterix

Default Record HD 1080 XBox and PS3

I recently set up a system to do this and it works great. The key components are getting the Video from the console into the PC and also being able to record the video to the hard drive in real time.

I used an HDMI splitter box (cost around 50) to take the video to the PC. I used a Backmagic Intensity Pro capture card (cost (120) with its bundled software to record the video. (I could have saved on the cost of the splitter box as the card allows the video signal to be looped through but this would have meant that I would have had to have the PC on whenever the XBox or PS3 were in use.)

In order to record, disk write speeds have to be fast. I found that the cheapest and best way to do this was to create a RAM drive. I used some software from Dataram to create this RAM disk. (I think that this is always going to be the best solution as the actual data transfer rate for Magnetic hard drives have not increased in 10 years meaning that the latest SATA III drives are no faster than the old E-IDE ones! The data transfer rates are still only around 110MB/s even though the SATA III standard allows for 600MB/s. SDD's are now approaching this max speed. A RAM drive however is many times faster than even an SSD and is therefore the best choice for any process that will involve a lot of disk access. (I installed extra RAM so that I could devote some for the RAM drive when needed.)

I did find that the best I could record was 1080i and not 1080p. This may be a limitation with either the Blackmagic card or bundled software, though it is advertised as being capable of 1080p. This was my only minor issue. ( I did check that it was not the splitter's fault by wiring direct.) The Blackmagic Express software produced the warning "No Remote" any time the input signal was 1080p.

I hope that this helps someone else.
wild_asterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Rifter
Diamond Member

the only way you are recording HD output over HDMI is with a camera pointed at the TV, HDCP is going to stop any other method you try and come up with.

Oppan Gangnam style all up in this mother!
Rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Maul485

I recently purchased this pci-e capture card

-> http://www.amazon.com/Avertv-Definit...3146329&sr=8-1

I'm still experimenting with it, but i also purchased this cap card so i could record my ps3 in HDMI. The program that comes with it allows you to view HDCP protected material, but not record it; however, since you have fraps, you could easily record using that. That's what i do, actually.

HOWEVER, if you do purchase this card, i have to tell you, that the higher you set the resolution in the ps3 settings, the program for this card displays it just fine, but after 720p in the ps3 settings, then the video in the program starts to flicker after you start recording. I fixed this problem by recording with BB Flashback Pro instead, set to 30fps.

If you do end up purchasing this card though, i would recommend going straight to the manufacturer's site (Avermedia) and downloading the latest software/drivers. actually, ill just link you, seeing as i just did this yesterday -> http://www.avermedia-usa.com/AVerTV/...2&tab=APDriver
the dld you'll need on that page is the one farthest up, click the orange floppy.

One last thing, again if you decide to get this card, it took me FOREVER to figure out how to maximize the playback in the aver media center software. All you have to do is double-click the playback screen.

hope this helps :3
Maul485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gameplay, playstation, ps3, xbox, xbox360