· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 08-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
thefastestfox

Default How to change wireless to hardwire

Hi folks I was wondering if someone could maybe help me.

I have two computers connected to a BT home hub, one hardwired and one wireless.

How simple is it to swap the wireless connection for the hardwire connection for a temporary period of time?

The wireless Pc

Ralink wireless lan card
NEC Computers
Powermate Series Computer
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 3800+
2.00 Ghz, 3.50 GB of RAM
Radeon 1600 XT Graphics Card
Windows Xp Home

If anyone can offer advice it would be greatly appreciated, thanks very much.
thefastestfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Lemon law
Lifer

Default Temporarily changing wireless to hardwire

If you are going to just do it temporarily and are willing to drop the other hardwired one during that time, setting up an ICS network is a piece of cake assuming (a) That you have an ethernet port on both the wireless computer and a ethernet port on your host computer. If not you may have to buy a network interface card. (b) That the envisioned host computer has some varient of XP as a OS (c) You connect them with a crossover cable and not a patch cable. This is my actual permanent set up, but if you want a three or more computer network, its probably going to involve something more like a router to go all hard wired.

But I am assuming you want hard wired either for the extra speed or for privacy and lack of interference.

But that is just my input, other more expert than I may give better advice.
Lemon law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
thefastestfox

Hi there and thanks for your help,

I am willing to drop the the other hardwired connection for a temporary period of time. It doesn't require internet connection for a few days.

Both computers have ethernet and XP.

And yep I'm after some extra speed, privacy and lack of interference.

This might be a newb question but is it possible to just unplug the cable from one and pop it in the back of the wireless one? Or will that cause a nuclear meltdown?

Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Lemon law
Lifer

Now you are getting me a little confused the fastestfox. Its somewhat exactly what I am advocating, but when you say cable, make sure its a crossover cable and not a patch cable.

But for a moment, forget you ever had another network and I can do it step by agonizing step on how to set up ICS.

First, you need a host computer with internet access. It must have a free ethernet port not used in the internet access process, and if its running XP as an OS, same as the other computer, you are have no additional complications.

Then all you need in a client computer that is another computer running win XP with a free ethernet port and a crossover cable.

In terms of a check lists of needed internet protocols for ICS, you need on both computers, checked and loaded---TCP/IP, client for microsoft network, and file and printersharing for microsoft networks in something called the local area connection that should appear on both computers when you connect both computers to their respective ethernet ports using a crossover cable. Although its my understanding it can be hot connected, just to be safe, connect the crossover while both computers are off.

Then simply boot both computers up, your local area connection should show limited connectivity because your network is not set up yet, but now is the time to check properties and protocols using your network connection icon in the control panel. If all looks good, you are ready to set up your ICS network.

A. Very important, log onto the internet with your host computer. Turn on things like printers you might want to share.

B. Go to control panel, select the network set up wizard, and carefully follow the prompts on the host computer. You do not need a network floppy disk since your OS's are the same.

C. Then go to the client computer and use its network set up wizard. Make sure you name both networks the same, I just accept the default MS home.

D. When you press finish on the client computer, you should have a working ICS network and receive internet access from the host computer on the client computer. Windows help should give you instructions on how to share more than just internet, things like files and folders or printers.

E. That is the simple basics, but lots of things can screw up. You will certainly have to make sure the windows SP2 firewall on both allows internet sharing, if you have a third party software firewall they can give you fits if they are not set up right, you may have to repair the connection if you have problems, and follow troubleshooting if the connection does not repair right, and you may have to rebuild your winsock. I do not want to scare you, but things can go wrong. But I can usually network two PC's using ICS in five minutes or so. Chances are, you will get a working network first pop out of the box.

F. You can go start---run---type Cmd---enter---and then type ipconfig /all in the next dialog box and enter to get your network ip's on both computers. ( note space between the g and / )Your host computer should show an IP of 192.168.0.1 and the client computer should show an ip of 192.168.0. xxx where xxx=some number between 2 and 254. If not you are missing a protocol. Each computer should be able to ping each other and themselves. Usually I just let the client computer picks its own IP dynamically and then set it up as a static address after.

You can PM me if anything goes wrong, but hopefully it won't.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Set the metrics to prefer Wire. ( http://www.ezlan.net/merics.html ).

When you plug the compute via wire it would use the wire.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
thefastestfox

Thanks again for that Lemon law, I will consider that for sure in the future.

Both PC's connect to the same hub albeit one wirelessly and one hardwired. I was wondering if you could take the cable connecting the hardwired one and plug it into the wireless one?

Sorry for the newbness of the questions..
Old 08-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
xgsound
Golden Member

Metrics setting at http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html . The "t" got lost.

Jim
xgsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member

1. What you have there is Not a Hub it is a Router, probaly a combo Modem/Router.

2. Unless you performed a legal wedding ceremony that weds the computer that it is connected now to the "Hub", any computer can be plugged to any available LAN plug.

If they are wedded you need a court order to disolve the wedding.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
thefastestfox

Ok thanks xgsound I'll try that.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Lemon law
Lifer

Yes, the fastestfox, that is the questions that throws me and exposes my network ignorance, if your wireless card is your only ethernet port, I am not sure what will happen. Read your wireless card documentation but I suspect it will act like an ordinary ethernet port when connected hardwired.

But when I propose an ICS connection, it somewhat advocates temporarily removing all extraneous unneeded network equipment. Keep it simply, two XP computers, two ethernet ports connected by a cross over cable, and that is all that is needed. XP has all the needed software and protocols and its your job to make sure it has the three needed protocols enabled on both computers. Add in a pile of other network equipment and who knows what will happen or what complications it will cause?

But at this point in time, its important to ask the OP if he understands the difference between a straight through patch cable and a crossover cable? Because using the wrong cable type for the network application and it will not work.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
thefastestfox

Lemon law, I apologise if I have offended you, that wasn't my intention and I appreciate the help you have heretofore provided.

I understand your proposal for an ICS connection and may I say your guide for this procedure was perfectly pitched for a newb like myself, both understandable and jargon free.

It's my fault for not asking the question in the most simplest of manners and for that I apologise again.

So here goes...

There is a cable that connects the PC (downstairs) to the home hub. I also have a PC (upstairs) connected via wireless to the same home hub.

Can I take the cable connecting the hardwired PC, run it upstairs and plug it in the back of my (wireless) PC? If so, what are the procedures involved?

Many thanks again and I'm sorry if I sound asinine, I'm just trying to explain the problem in the best and most fundamental terms...
Old 08-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
Lemon law
Lifer

No offense taken fasterfox, but the main thing to understand is that are two types of cables. You had and still have a crossover cable or a patch cable. For the difference in the eight wires see.

http://www.cat-5-cable-company...n-patch-crossover.html

A simple VOM continuity test can establish which type cable you have.

But bottom line, a router makes the cross for you, so a patch cable which has pin to pin continuity is required, but in an ICS network and no extraneous equipment, an actual cross over cable is required to make the cross connections to make an ICS network work.

A VOM able to do a simple continuity test can be bought for as little as $5.00 at radio shack and similar outlets to tell you which type cable you already have. Or can be borrow from a friend.