· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Arkaign
Lifer

Default Honda HSV-010 GT

http://jalopnik.com/5432070/hsv+10-g...-new-honda-nsx

Gah.

It's just ... awesome. Why does the underwhelming $375k LF-A (Lexus Fails - Again?) get the greenlight for production, but this doesn't? ARGH.

This is actually unique. The LF-A, for all of it's high-tech mumbo-jumbo CF, is still heavier than the all-around superior (and hella cheaper) Ferrari 458. This thing, with a 500+HP 3.4L V8 (rumored power figures) and a redline that's gotta be close to formula .. is certainly a different take on a supercar. It harkens back to the Lotus Esprit's 4-cylinder glory days for sheer originality.

It looks pretty badass too. That thing looks 2 feet tall and 8 feet wide
Old 01-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
EightySix Four
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaign View Post
http://jalopnik.com/5432070/hsv+10-g...-new-honda-nsx

Gah.

It's just ... awesome. Why does the underwhelming $375k LF-A (Lexus Fails - Again?) get the greenlight for production, but this doesn't? ARGH.

This is actually unique. The LF-A, for all of it's high-tech mumbo-jumbo CF, is still heavier than the all-around superior (and hella cheaper) Ferrari 458. This thing, with a 500+HP 3.4L V8 (rumored power figures) and a redline that's gotta be close to formula .. is certainly a different take on a supercar. It harkens back to the Lotus Esprit's 4-cylinder glory days for sheer originality.

It looks pretty badass too. That thing looks 2 feet tall and 8 feet wide
The LF-A is supposed to compete with the Ferrari 458 about as much as a Rolls Royce Phantom is. It's a touring car, more competitive with a Ferrari 599, Aston DBS, etc. While performance around a track is impressive, they are supposed to be about extreme comfort, drivability, power, and craftsmanship, of which the LF-A has all of them.

I'd personally spend my money on something else, but don't make comparisons to cars that are in different classes, it does not make sense. If it was such a big failure, all of them would not already be accounted for in Japan and people wouldn't be signing up elsewhere.

It ran 1.6 seconds slower than the 599GTB on the TG test track when the LFa was driving in the wet and the 599 was not.

Last edited by EightySix Four; 01-24-2010 at 11:27 PM.
EightySix Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
darkswordsman17
Lifer

I wouldn't call either one particularly great looking to be honest, and I'd say the LF-A looks better, but I don't know what this would look like without all the extra bodywork for racing.

The reason the LF-A made it to production is that Toyota decided that since they had spent the money on it as an engineering exercise, there's no harm in actually releasing it and getting some of the money back (the claim that they lose money I would assume is based on the development costs and not the per car costs). Plus, it allows them to see what the market is like, and if people will be more willing to take a high end sports car from them seriously. It might also pave the way for the return of the Supra.

Honda, well they've been making a lot of decisions that I think aren't very good these days. I'm actually glad they aren't releasing this as an NSX like it seemed they were intent on doing. My guess is its about appearances. A sports car like this hurts their environmentally friendly image that they've been striving for with the new Insight and CR-Z.

I think Nissan could really spin the GT-R off into another model or two. At the minimum, I would think they could turn it into a model for Infiniti. Then again, I suppose their economics on it are based on its rate of production and expanding would cost too much.
darkswordsman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
xSkyDrAx
Diamond Member

That thing looks insane! I like this much more than the LF-A which, imo, is a waste for the price.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:48 AM   #5
RiDE
Platinum Member

What's so original about this car? Looks pretty ugly too.

Nothing will replace the NSX.

RiDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
Arkaign
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazySOB297 View Post
The LF-A is supposed to compete with the Ferrari 458 about as much as a Rolls Royce Phantom is. It's a touring car, more competitive with a Ferrari 599, Aston DBS, etc. While performance around a track is impressive, they are supposed to be about extreme comfort, drivability, power, and craftsmanship, of which the LF-A has all of them.

I'd personally spend my money on something else, but don't make comparisons to cars that are in different classes, it does not make sense. If it was such a big failure, all of them would not already be accounted for in Japan and people wouldn't be signing up elsewhere.

It ran 1.6 seconds slower than the 599GTB on the TG test track when the LFa was driving in the wet and the 599 was not.
Eh,

(1)- I wasn't aware the LF-A (as it is now) was a huge 2+2 design like the 599. The DBS is also a lot bigger.

For comparison :

Lexus LF-A is 175 inches long and 48 inches tall, in only a 2-seater model (I believe there are other LF variants at least in testing that offer 2+2, but they are not going to have the same dimensions as there's no place to put the seats in the LF-A variant)

Ferrari 599 is 183.7 inches long and 52.6 inches tall, in only 4 seater configurations even WITH the convertible configuration. It's a big, somewhat lazy cruiser design.

That is a massive size difference.

The 458 matches a lot more the small supercar niche that the LF-A is : a 2-seater only smaller model that is 178 inches long and 48 inches tall, almost identical in size to the LF-A.

If someone wants to say that one car is in this segment and another car is in another segment, when they are the same size and layout .. I guess that's up to them. The 458 and LF-A have a lot more in common than with the 599 and DBS outside of pricing.

(2)- Selling out doesn't really mean anything to me. The Mini Cooper, the VW Beetle, the new Challenger, etc, all sold out easily. Ditto with the SLR Mercedes, the Veyrons, and so on. The fact that there is only going to be a 500 unit run, combined with there not really being any other true Japanese supercars (that leaves a lot of potential in the home market just for the sake of patriotism alone) ... well I'd be shocked if it didn't sell out even if they made 1000 of them at $600k each.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
SSSnail
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiDE View Post
What's so original about this car? Looks pretty ugly too.

Nothing will replace the NSX.
3.4L V8 pushing 560BHP. Front mounted engine, weight distro is 50/50. Screams like a bat out of hell.

I'll take 2 if I'm able.

Alex Smith fan.

Traditional Chinese Herbs and Supplements
SSSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
Imported
Lifer

I'd agree with saying the LF-A competes more with the 458 than the 599.

I wish Honda would come out with this as the new NSX. This car sounds absolutely amazing.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
Arkaign
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSnail View Post
3.4L V8 pushing 560BHP. Front mounted engine, weight distro is 50/50. Screams like a bat out of hell.

I'll take 2 if I'm able.
Definitely! And even if the original NSX is an automotive legend, it's time Honda passed the torch to a new vehicle, the NSX is 20 years old now. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for the NSX I wouldn't be so enthused about this HSV-010 (terrible name), as I really want to see the continuation of a great legacy.

Any idea of the weight figures for the HSV?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
SSSnail
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaign View Post
Definitely! And even if the original NSX is an automotive legend, it's time Honda passed the torch to a new vehicle, the NSX is 20 years old now. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for the NSX I wouldn't be so enthused about this HSV-010 (terrible name), as I really want to see the continuation of a great legacy.

Any idea of the weight figures for the HSV?
The HSV GT is a continuation of the HSC (Honda Supercar), but instead of wasting all the development money for the HSC, Honda decided to make GT cars out of them and race. Honda head honcho didn't think the 3.5L V6 was super enough so he canned the whole project. He wanted an actual SUPERcar so this is what they came up with. I think the weight figures should be close to the HSC, minus the race trimming (I'm guessing around 2500 lbs?).

I hope that eventually Honda will produce a road going version of this GT car, for which the public response has been very enthusiastic. I'll be waiting inline for one... to see it.

Alex Smith fan.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
SSSnail
Lifer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPvuj2D0700
?

A better view, with less hate.

Alex Smith fan.

Last edited by SSSnail; 01-25-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
RiDE
Platinum Member

Quote:
The HSV GT is a continuation of the HSC (Honda Supercar), but instead of wasting all the development money for the HSC, Honda decided to make GT cars out of them and race. Honda head honcho didn't think the 3.5L V6 was super enough so he canned the whole project. He wanted an actual SUPERcar so this is what they came up with. I think the weight figures should be close to the HSC, minus the race trimming (I'm guessing around 2500 lbs?).

I hope that eventually Honda will produce a road going version of this GT car, for which the public response has been very enthusiastic. I'll be waiting inline for one... to see it.
If theyre going to use that same engine in a road version, which is based off their Formula Nippon engine which in turn was based off their IRL engine... i'm pretty sure it would price itself quite ridiculously like the LFA.
RiDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
SSSnail
Lifer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFM2zVf_0Mo

This vid has better compression, man the sound that thing makes is just intoxicating.

Alex Smith fan.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #14
LOUISSSSS
Diamond Member

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFM2zVf_0Mo

This vid has better compression, man the sound that thing makes is just intoxicating.
that some screaming sexy engine, gotta be around 12000+RPM, and i bet its not even at redline. honda's back in the game!
check out 5:16-5:18 thats some FIRE from that exhaust
M-Audio LX4 || Shure SRH840 || Senn HD555

Lenovo X200 w/ Samsung 840

Last edited by LOUISSSSS; 01-25-2010 at 08:13 PM.
LOUISSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #15
PhoKingGuy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISSSSS View Post
that some screaming sexy engine, gotta be around 12000+RPM, and i bet its not even at redline. honda's back in the game!
Well they have to build a street version first, but they're getting there

Official member of the Frat Boy Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudAshes View Post
You act like the government knows more than anyone else. Our government is full of retards that know nothing.
PhoKingGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #16
Howard
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISSSSS View Post
Unless there's a turbo, fire from the exhaust isn't right at all.

Kitchen stuff
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #17
punjabiplaya
Diamond Member

I saw the test video. Honda made it just to compete with the GTR in the GT500 series. Now put the damn thing into production to compete with the GTR on the streets. I would love to see that thing with a ~90k tag.

edit: my god that noise is fantastic
p55-gd65
4GB Gskill Trident
2x 750GB Caviar Black + 2TB Caviar Green
BBQ

car:
2010 CBM Mazdaspeed3

Last edited by punjabiplaya; 01-25-2010 at 08:32 PM.
punjabiplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #18
Eli
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Unless there's a turbo, fire from the exhaust isn't right at all.
Huh? Elaborate? What does a turbo have to do with anything? The injectors should still be off.

2001 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #163P - 158,388 miles and counting as of 7/2011
Best Trip - 82.0MPG over 1200 miles
2001 Honda Insight 5MT - 450,000 miles and counting as of 2/2012 (Fiancee's)
Best Trip - 92.4MPG over 400 miles
2000 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #173P, BCM Gauge, OBDIIC&C Gauge, Upgraded 8Ah battery - 227,248 miles and counting as of 10/2011
Best Trip - 83.1mpg over 458mi
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote