· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Dasda

Default Best Budget Graphics Card -- Non Gaming

What are some good cards to buy for non-gamers? I'm working on a build that I want to put together in the next 2 months. I really don't know much about gpu's. I do not game at all on computer cause I love my xbox360.

With that said, what I will need it for is watching videos on computer and also I am getting a camcorder so for video editing as well. Please reccomend me some GPU's for my purpose.

CPU: i7-930 (not out yet, think of it as 920 for now)
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813131614
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820145236
GPU: ???
HD WD caviar black or seagate barracuda
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
Dasda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Qbah
Diamond Member

Now? If you want to go red - HD4350 imo. Within the next month? HD5450. Or it's gonna be called HD5350? Successor to HD4350.

You can go green with G210 too. No idea what nVidia's low-end supports for video acceleration. Though doesn't really matter I guess - a Core i7 can handle everything without breaking a sweat.

So if you want now, probably see what's cheaper and has features that you want: HD4350 or G210. Within the next 2 months I'm pretty sure a HD5350 will be best.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
blanketyblank
Golden Member

I've seen a lot of 4350s on sale recently for like $15 AR. Haven't seen any of the new 200 series cards from nvidia go on sale. What I have seen from them are 6xxx-9xxx cards every now and then. Essentially the equivalent or better than some of the entry 200 series depending on the model, but it's more confusing and I'd avoid anything below
8xxx if you don't know much about the card.
Asus P5Q Pro
2x2 Gb OCZ DDR2 6400
blanketyblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Dasda

I think I'll get the new entry level(5350) ati since I am building in march or april anyways.

Is there any articles someone can point me towards which show what a person should look for in a GPU based on needs? For example, what would be a good GPU for just watching movies and editing videos of HD and bluray quality? Thanks again
Old 01-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
Arkaign
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasda View Post
I think I'll get the new entry level(5350) ati since I am building in march or april anyways.

Is there any articles someone can point me towards which show what a person should look for in a GPU based on needs? For example, what would be a good GPU for just watching movies and editing videos of HD and bluray quality? Thanks again
For movies/video editing/HD/BR, even the cheapest ATI 4xxx/5xxx cards will be more than enough. The 4350 does it all perfectly, so there's no reason to believe a 5350 wouldn't when they come out.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
SmCaudata

Quote:
What are some good cards to buy for non-gamers?
With that said, what I will need it for is watching videos on computer and also I am getting a camcorder so for video editing as well. Please reccomend me some GPU's for my purpose.

CPU: i7-930 (not out yet, think of it as 920 for now)
...GPU: ???
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
Why would you spend crazy amounts of money on an i7-930 and a giant case if you are only going to video edit and then go budget on the graphics?

How much video editing are you going to do? The i5-661 is 77% the speed in video encoding (75 fps vs 58 fps) and it comes with a video card that can bitstream protected high def audio channels. I'm betting an overclocked i3 will get you similar results. Then you can save on the MOBO, RAM, CPU, GPU (and I'd say case too) and stick it into a better camera or tv. I'm assuming money is something of an issue or you wouldn't be looking for a budget video card.

Personally if I were building an HTPC for viewing and editing videos I'd go clarkdale i3 in a microATX case with power supply and enough space for 3 hard drives and a blu-ray player(6 TB is plenty IMO you can always add eSATA drives.)

If you really do encoding multiple times per day then I'd go with a i5-750 in a microATX with the cheapest vid card I can get that can sent the protected audio. Heck get an 860 it's faster and the MOBOs are cheaper and you only need 2 sticks of RAM.

I know you asked for only a vid card suggestion but I don't understand why you would want a monster case with top of the line everything and a "budget video card."

Also, for disk drives I'd take a look at the Samsung Spinpoint F3 drives...they are awesome.

Last edited by SmCaudata; 01-21-2010 at 09:36 PM.
SmCaudata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #7
WaitingForNehalem
Platinum Member

So you are buying a premium X58 motherboard with two PCI-E slots to toss in a $15 graphics card? You'd rather play your Xbox 360 instead?
Intel Core i7 920 with Corsair A70 | ASUS Sabertooth X58 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | Creative Sound Blaster Z | 12GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 | CM Storm Sniper Black Edition | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | WD Caviar Black 500GB & 1TB | Antec TruePower New 750W
WaitingForNehalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
Dasda

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmCaudata View Post
Why would you spend crazy amounts of money on an i7-930 and a giant case if you are only going to video edit and then go budget on the graphics?

How much video editing are you going to do? The i5-661 is 77% the speed in video encoding (75 fps vs 58 fps) and it comes with a video card that can bitstream protected high def audio channels. I'm betting an overclocked i3 will get you similar results. Then you can save on the MOBO, RAM, CPU, GPU (and I'd say case too) and stick it into a better camera or tv. I'm assuming money is something of an issue or you wouldn't be looking for a budget video card.

Personally if I were building an HTPC for viewing and editing videos I'd go clarkdale i3 in a microATX case with power supply and enough space for 3 hard drives and a blu-ray player(6 TB is plenty IMO you can always add eSATA drives.)

If you really do encoding multiple times per day then I'd go with a i5-750 in a microATX with the cheapest vid card I can get that can sent the protected audio. Heck get an 860 it's faster and the MOBOs are cheaper and you only need 2 sticks of RAM.

I know you asked for only a vid card suggestion but I don't understand why you would want a monster case with top of the line everything and a "budget video card."

Also, for disk drives I'd take a look at the Samsung Spinpoint F3 drives...they are awesome.
Hey bud, thanks for your honest opinion and awesome advice. I really do appreciate the honest advice you have given me. Sorry, I didn't post more info in this thread ahead of time cause I though it was only a GPU section.

I'll try explain my reasoning behind all my purchases now so I can get you to reply with advice just like the one above (Honesty is awesome and appreciated). Oh and just to let you know I'm a complete noob at building cpu's. In fact, this is my first ever build and right now I am using a computer my parents purchased for me 10 years ago(1.5ghz pentium4, 256 RD Ram, 80-gig-ide samsung for os and a 250gb WD -- both hd's were later installed by me since the maxtor 40gig fireball it came with died).

OK now I apologize to anandtech for turning this thread into something that should be in "General Hardware".

Quote:
I am with you on this. I originally had budgeted my case as I have my GPU. I was thinking somewhere around $60-$100. But then I saw this HAF-932 and the great reviews on it about its great air flow and thought of it as a insurance to extend the life of the parts I am buying since I do not have the budget/knowledge for water-cooling. I read lots of reviews and watched videos on this case and never saw anything bad except not having a dust filter in the front intake. So I was thinking instead of buying a aftermarket cooler(for cpu) right of the bat, I'll try out this case(cause it will help cool mobo/ram also) and monitor the temps for about 3-4 weeks and see if I need to get a better cooler for cpu. So my reasoning for this case is the Huge amounts of Air flow people are reporting with this case and that fact it has lots of space for future addons + the new fancy tooless design. So please let me know if there is a cheaper alternative to this case or if I am totally wrong about thinking the air flow will help.

Why i7-930? - I was going to get the 920 but a member of anandtech reccomended that the 930 was going to replace 920 and be the same price. So i changed to 930. Why i7 at all? I won't just be editing videos and watching movies (thats what i would only be doing with the GPU). I really wanted the ability to watch hd movies since my current cpu/gpu cant support it. The reason why I did not go with i5-661 is that it is not quad core(important in video editing and compression-winrar). The i5-750 is the one I had actually decided on two weeks ago and still considering actually but future of 1156 left me hanging ( I do realize when writing this that 750 is a good current build but without hyperthreading and futureproofing). This would be a awesome buy no doubt that would save me $200($100 on cpu and $100 on mobo). The only reason I moved from that is cause in another 2 years I can upgrade to a hexacore(after prices drop ofcourse) on 1366 as opposed to 1156 being dead. So futureproofing is why I am going to 1366. Otherwise I could have gone i7-860 if it was just Hyperthreading on 1156 also and still save myself the $100 on mobo.

As you can see I am building a computer after 10 years. I also plan to keep this for atleast 5 years until I graduate university and get a job. The i7-860 would save me possibly a hundred dollars(on mobo since cpu is same price as i7-930) and not future proof. The i7-750 has no HT which is important for non overclocking and save me $200 with no futureproof also. The i5-750 is a good option cause upgrading i7-930 cpu down road would mean buying a new cpu anyways. The reason why I considering i5-750 is cause why spend $200 more now to futureproof. When in future there will be better mobo's available for $200 with better usb3.0 and sata6 than even the current x58 chipset over p55 cause intel's new chipset next year.

The main reason to get a quad is cause I multitask alot (maybe I am overestimating the needs of multitasking since I am still on p4 1.5ghz). I am one of those people who always has music playing when on computer so that is 1 for sure. I run multiple apps at a time all the time ( winrar, burning dvd's, downloading at speed of 1.2Megabytes per second using multiple programs).

The HAF 932 is something I really do want to know about and I am glad you adressed it cause I too am not sure if it is worth to pay for the "great air flow" or it does not matter for my mobo/ram/hdd to be under great air flow. I thought of it as better than going out and installing multiple fans on a cheaper case cause HAF-932 comes with big fans that are quiet. The only cooling considered would be a aftermarked cpu cooler later if I see the temps to be high.

EDIT: I have been thinking since this post for about 30 mins and I think a 750 might do me good now. Cause throw futureproof out the window and save instant $200. The future proof part would mean not having to get a new mobo down the road. I think a i5-750 would last me 3 years atleast anyways. So if I did need the upgrade then just use the $200 I save now on a new mobo that will be better than the one I currently will be getting. Wow this is so confusing. I need someone to hold a gun to my head force me to make a decision. LOL

Thanks for your reply and giving time to this thread. I hope you reply back with more advice.

Last edited by Dasda; 01-21-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: more thoughts
Old 01-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
Dasda

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForNehalem View Post
So you are buying a premium X58 motherboard with two PCI-E slots to toss in a $15 graphics card? You'd rather play your Xbox 360 instead?

1. good reviews
2. need x58 to run the cpu
3. Asus (my current mobo is asus and 10 years old without ever giving me problems). The other alterntive is Gigabyte X58A-UD3R at $220 but it is a 8 phase and asus is 24 phase so it will last longer and work better. I researched this alot and is still a possibility but the 8 phase turned me away from it cause I want a board to last.

Pretty much it is the best value for the money if I want to buy asus with future proof since it is guaranteed to work with 32nm chips. Sure there are cheaper Asus x58 boards too but the price difference is about $20-$30 only.

Do you know a cheaper x58 board that is known to be good? I could choose a different mobo if it is same performance. Not really trying to overspend but durability was the issue in getting this board and it is cheaper than ga-ud7 and only $20 more than ga-ud5

Thanks for the advice and time.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #10
SmCaudata

Well, only you know your intended upgrade cycle. I've only "upgraded" parts that have died, with the exception of my current CPU. I upgraded to a Quad core (from dual; the clock is also 50% higher) with the intention of buying a new vid card when my current one cannot run the games I play at max.

As for cases, I've never seen a case that had such good cooling it made the stock cooler look good. The stock cooler will run the chip in just about any modern case at stock speeds. If you are going to OC you will probably need an aftermarket cooler anyway. If I were to build a new PC now I'd likely go with Antec 300. It looks nice, has decent cooling, and is reasonable sized. You can get this with power supply for the price of the HAF. Power supply is the one place I never skimp on. These are the most likely failures IMO for a 24/7 computer.

Edit: I noticed your reply about the motherboards. If you are not overclocking 8 phase is plenty. Actually, 8 phase is plenty if you are overclocking. Lets say the processor needs 100 AMPS. The 8 phase power will probably on the order of 15-20 amps per phase. The 24 phase power will be probably 8 amps per phase. Either way you get a lot of overhead. You don't get 16 more phases of the same quality parts. I used to design point-of-load power supplies to go next to server CPUs for a major manufacturer. When I quit 5 years ago we were doing about 20 amps per phase with FETs at the time and they were rapidly getting better.

Asus and Gigabyte are both good manufacturers. My current ASUS has never been able to reset reliably. It used to blue screen. I updated the BIOS and now it locks up when I try to reset. I had an eVGA that fried on me when I hit a usb port with accidental static. I had a Gigabyte just up and die on me one day, no post or anything. My next motherboard will likely be an ASRock. You get the best bang for your buck IMO and just as good reliability lately.

Last edited by SmCaudata; 01-21-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
blanketyblank
Golden Member

IMO I think you are overthinking a few things here like future proofing and your need for quadcore/hexacore. First off I think it is foolish to buy a motherboard for a cpu you plan to buy in 2 years. There are a number of reasons for this:
1. In general to upgrade you need to either sell or giveaway your old parts, and you can get better prices by selling a complete system rather than just the CPU.
2. Prices continuously drop on computer components and new technology is constantly being introduced. 2 years is a long time in this regards so purchasing a mobo when you get the cpu ensures a better price and/or technology.
3. Looking at your needs I think even a quadcore might be overkill so I highly doubt you'd get much benefit from a hexacore. Playing music takes very little cpu power and even the cheapest core 2s will be able to do all that you require right now.

I'm not saying don't get a quad, but I am saying don't factor future cpu upgrades into your purchase decision.
As for the case I think it would be better if you lowered the budget to something about $100 or below and use the excess to buy a good easy to install CPU cooler. Installing a new CPU heatsink is probably the most annoying thing to do when building a new computer since it often requires a backplate so you have to remove the entire motherboard. You do not want to have to go through the whole procedure again later with the added task of scraping off the old thermal grease left by the intel heatsink.
This is another reason why I think buying a mobo for "future proofing" is a bad idea since you usually have to go through the same process again to install the new CPU. Depending on the heatsink it is almost the same amount of work as building a new PC (which is my preferred method of upgrading).
Thus my advice to you is buy mainstream, and save your money till you actually have a need for these parts. Cash is really the best "future proofing" you can have and right now you have no need for a hexcore. Especially since you don't play any games your needs are fairly low. You should also consider expanding your budget on the video card since with CUDA and directcompute that will likely have the biggest impact on video editing performance in the near future. (already plugins with quadro cards)

Also consider getting preassembled. Since you don't play games there really is no advantage to overclocking.
You can save time and money this way. This looks like a good deal for the CPU you wanted.
http://www.buy.com/prod/Essentio-CG5...213833125.html
Plus it has a nice graphics card so this will be much better and probably cheaper than what you can put together on your own.
Asus P5Q Pro
2x2 Gb OCZ DDR2 6400

Last edited by blanketyblank; 01-22-2010 at 01:31 AM.
blanketyblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
SmCaudata

Have you looked at the Athlon II x4 620? $99. Plus you can get a motherboard with decent integrated graphics. Maybe an integrated 5000 series soon. Just something to watch for if you are planning on upgrading in a few months.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
BernardP
Golden Member

Just a thought about future-proofing. Last year, I bought an Asus AM2+ motherboard, understanding that I could eventually swap the AM2 CPU for a then-upcoming AM3 CPU. Guess what? Only the early AM3 CPU's are compatible with my version of the mobo (first revision). The CPU I would be most interested in (Athlon II X4) is only compatible with a later revision of the motherboard. I thought I had a safe upgrade path, but I'm stuck, unless I get a new mobo.

The current sweet spot on the Intel side is the i5-750. On AMD's side, I like the new Phenom II X4 945.

BTW, some future-proofing you could think about is getting a board with SATA 3 and USB 3
Old 01-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
Dasda

Thanks alot for all the help guys, I have gone from thinking of getting a 920 to now getting a 750 (pretty much same processor withouth HT). Believe it or not, I actually gave a look at the i3's also but I think a quad core is probably better to get since vid cards are cheap for my needs anyways. Otherwise I could've saved money on a cpu and eliminate GPU costs since i3's have them integrated.

I'll be posting a build soon in the general hardware section for advice. Thanks for saving me a bunch of money. I'm now no longer a believer of future proofing but still value durability. I think it is a better plan for me to buy a pc with 750 and maybe upgrade in 3-4 years if I need than getting 920 and waiting 6-8 years to upgrade. I will upgrade HDD's as I go along and SSD's drop in price. Maybe even ram if it drops again.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
Dasda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmCaudata View Post
Have you looked at the Athlon II x4 620? $99. Plus you can get a motherboard with decent integrated graphics. Maybe an integrated 5000 series soon. Just something to watch for if you are planning on upgrading in a few months.
Not really into AMD at all. My brother who also uses the computer wants a intel in there no matter what since our last computer lasted us this long.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #16
softweyr

Default Longevity isn't an Intel feature...

Quote:
Not really into AMD at all. My brother who also uses the computer wants a intel in there no matter what since our last computer lasted us this long.
I just replaced a K6-2/450 server at home (light duty source code and web stuff) with an eeeBox. The K6 was cutting-edge technology when it was new in '97.
softweyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #17
WaitingForNehalem
Platinum Member

Power phases don't contribute to the longevity of a motherboard, they are meant for max overclocks and even then are mostly a marketing gimmick. You don't need a ultra high-end motherboard, you just need a quality motherboard with the features you need. Make sure it has all solid-state capacitors and a 8-pin CPU EPS12V and it will be fine.
Intel Core i7 920 with Corsair A70 | ASUS Sabertooth X58 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | Creative Sound Blaster Z | 12GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 | CM Storm Sniper Black Edition | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | WD Caviar Black 500GB & 1TB | Antec TruePower New 750W

Last edited by WaitingForNehalem; 01-22-2010 at 09:21 PM.
WaitingForNehalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #18
s44
Diamond Member

Actually, low-end 4350s *aren't* 'more than enough' for video. For optimum deinterlacing of 1080i content you need at least a 4670 (or a non-crippled 4650, but it's not obvious which ones count) or a GT220.
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #19
Arkaign
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
Actually, low-end 4350s *aren't* 'more than enough' for video. For optimum deinterlacing of 1080i content you need at least a 4670 (or a non-crippled 4650, but it's not obvious which ones count) or a GT220.
I've run 1080p (Sony BD-Rom w/Cyberlink PowerDVD) on a Celeron 1500, 2GB PC667 DDR2, and a 4350.

Worked beautifully at 1080p on a Sony Bravia 1080p LCD.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #20
s44
Diamond Member

1080p is much less resource-intensive than 1080i.

Simple decoding is easy. De-interlacing is hard.
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #21
Rifter
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by softweyr View Post
I just replaced a K6-2/450 server at home (light duty source code and web stuff) with an eeeBox. The K6 was cutting-edge technology when it was new in '97.
lol the first PC i bought myself was a K6-2, in 97, with a TNT 16MB GPU lol.

I have owned Intel and AMD over the years and always buy whats the best deal at the time for what i wanted to do, i dont let like or dislike for one company sway my decision. Right now for video processing work intel is the way to go. If you are not doing alot of video editing work then you might want to look into a AMD system with a 785 or 790GX chipset and save alot of cash then use the IGP, its all you need for watching HD Video and even has HDMI out.

The only reason i bought AMD when i upgraded this last time was I3 and I5 were not out yet a I7 was way to expensive and not any faster for gaming which is %90 of what i do on my PC. If i had to build a gaming PC today to replace mine i would go with a I5.

Oppan Gangnam style all up in this mother!
Rifter is offline   Reply With Quote