· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-13-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
djdube

Default Do I need to purchase thermal paste when purchasing an aftermarket cpu cooler

It's been a while since I last built a computer... not sure what's "standard" these days.

I'm planning on purchasing the Xigmatech HDT-S1283 for an AMD 720 build.

Was wondering if aftermarket coolers typically come with thermal paste, or is that something else you need to pick up? Is artic silver still the paste do jour, or is there something else that should be considered.

Many thanks!
Dave
djdube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
jaggerwild

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdube View Post
It's been a while since I last built a computer... not sure what's "standard" these days.

I'm planning on purchasing the Xigmatech HDT-S1283 for an AMD 720 build.

Was wondering if aftermarket coolers typically come with thermal paste, or is that something else you need to pick up? Is artic silver still the paste do jour, or is there something else that should be considered.

Many thanks!
Dave
Not sure if it does come with any, IC diamond is the stuff I would suggest now.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...3e501e5e68d1b2
jaggerwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
hclarkjr
Lifer

for good read on thermal paste look here http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/..._shootout_q209 they conclude this If you’re looking for the best performance, price be damned, then look no further than the Shin-Etsu X-23 7783D.
Cooler master HAF932, Dell 2408WFP, Gigabyte P67A-UD4 B3 REV. 1.1, Intel core I7 2600K, XIGMATEK SD-1283 Gaia, Intel X25-M G2 160GB,16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 1600mhz,Crossfired Radeon HD6950, Pioneer BDR-205, Samsung SH-S243N 24X DVD-RW, western digital black 2TB,Antec TPQ-850 850W , windows 8.1 pro X64
hclarkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
zagood
Diamond Member

Most coolers come with paste, yes. It's usually pretty decent. If you're planning on overclocking and 2-5c can make a difference, then you may want to buy "better" paste.

Arctic Silver is still one of the best, but no longer the ultimate in thermal transfer.

I don't know why I phrased it that way.

Another TIM roundup:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...=150&Itemid=62
zagood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
mav451

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagood View Post
Most coolers come with paste, yes. It's usually pretty decent. If you're planning on overclocking and 2-5c can make a difference, then you may want to buy "better" paste.

Arctic Silver is still one of the best, but no longer the ultimate in thermal transfer.

I don't know why I phrased it that way.

Another TIM roundup:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...=150&Itemid=62
Yup I just bought OCZ Freeze at my local MC so I don't get screwed on shipping. It was either $6 or $7. Anything in the A category is great though.

http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=31362
mav451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
billyb0b
Golden Member

most pre-applied or boxed paste that comes with a cooler is not all that grand, except for artic cooling heatsinks which they usually throw in some mx-2

i would pick up some quality paste like ic7, mx3, shin etsu
billyb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
Puffnstuff
Platinum Member

You know I've read several articles on tim and no two are alike. AS5 still ranks highly in most every test I've seen and you can pick it up locally at radio shack these days. I still use it on all my pc's and since I've got like 5 tubes laying around it will be with me for a while.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
djdube

Thanks for all the advice and links! I'll adding some thermal paste to the order.

I don't plan on a huge overclock... but if it helps save a few degrees C, it *may* lead to lower fan speeds and quieter would be nice.

Incidentally, my current cpu cooler (standard dual core opteron) started making a racket...
turns out my case fan has bit the dust. The cpu cooler is likely working a bit on overtime.

If anyone has a *must buy* 120mm fan, I'm all ears.

Fan bearings - is there a family or class of bearings I should target? Reliability is the main concern.

One last question... is there a typical sound level that is considered readily audible (I know - very subjective). I was thinking I should stay in the 20-25 dB range, but if another 5 isn't that much more then I'd rather get the more CFM.

Thanks again - all of your input has been extremely helpful.

Dave
Old 01-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
CRXican
Diamond Member

I might be out of the so-called fan loop but I've had good luck with these and this is a great price for them:

http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-12...2-pr-3009.html
Old 01-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
Zepper
Elite Member

Arrow

Most HSFs for the enthusiast market come with very good TIM either pre-applied or in a separate tube or packet. No need to buy any until the first time you need to reapply it.
Here's a quote from a recent review at benchmarkreviews.com:

"When applying thermal interface material to the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 exposed copper heatpipe 120mm CPU cooler, it's very important to understand that most TIM's used with aluminum coolers will cause oxidation to the copper heatpipes upon contact.

Unfortunately, Xigmatek did not include any special TIM for their exposed copper base, which is an accountable oversight. While nearly any TIM will suffice, it is recommended that you do not use a material based on silicone oxide for best results and product longevity". Seems like the reviews I've read at Benchmark reviews lately have contained slipshod reporting - see the following...

While the review at silentpcreview.com shows that it DOES include a packet of TIM. The product's manual states likewise.

Personally, I'd be leery of any company that didn't supply some TIM.

Another hint for exposed heat pipe HSFs is that there are substantial gaps around the pipes in the aluminum base. Those gaps need to be filled with TIM and not left to allow air pockets above the contact surface of the CPU. Air pockets concentrate the heat. This is contrary to the recommendation of the thinnest possible application which was common on flat based HSFs.

.bh.

Last edited by Zepper; 01-13-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Zepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #11
djdube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepper View Post
"When applying thermal interface material to the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 exposed copper heatpipe 120mm CPU cooler, it's very important to understand that most TIM's used with aluminum coolers will cause oxidation to the copper heatpipes upon contact.

Unfortunately, Xigmatek did not include any special TIM for their exposed copper base, which is an accountable oversight. While nearly any TIM will suffice, it is recommended that you do not use a material based on silicone oxide for best results and product longevity".
That is interesting (the oxidation)... I didn't realize that. I did pull the trigger yesterday. I went ahead and ordered some AS5 - a little impatient and wanted to hopefully get everything in before the long weekend. Worst case, I can likely find someone at work that will take the paste off my hands.

For some conclusion to the sagea... I did pick up the Xigmatek S1283 as well as one of the Scythe S-Flex case fans. Will see how everything goes.

Thanks again everyone for your advice!

Dave
Old 01-16-2010, 05:14 AM   #12
djdube

Huh... amazing what a working case fan can do. Had picked up the mid level Scythe S-Flex fan... CPU temps dropped 10 degrees C and the CPU fan has slowed down tremmendously.