· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
weflyhigh

Default BA vs. BS in economics

I have decided that pursuing a degree in economics would be best for me. I am currently a sophomore in college and now I have to choose a major (undecided currently).
My school offers both a bachelor of arts and a bachelor of science in economics. Looking at the course requirements for both, the BS requires a lot more economics classes and also ones specifically quantitative. The BA requires a LOT more general education credits and also pursuing a language for a significant amount of credits. My gut instinct is to go with the BS (which is what my dad has also, but from uPenn) since it seems like it is a more serious degree and also I have no problem working with numbers and do consider myself decent at math.
However, the BA degree would obviously be much less work to receive. Since I am starting the major late (4th semester), that might help me out a lot, though. Another thing is that I will be active duty after graduation. If I get the BA, it seems to be much more broad, which might leave more options available, then?

BA pros: Less work; leaves options more broad after service?; did I mention less work?
BA cons: Not getting as solid of a foundation in economics, it would seems; employers might take into consideration amount of work?; have to take more language courses (not too fond)

BS pros: Get a good foundation in economics; more accepted degree?; might say something about character?; Good amount of computer work (I'd like to say I am pretty knowledgeable with computers, which would put me ahead)
BS cons: More work and especially more work for me because I am joining later than some; while I am good with computers, I do not want a career based around them; More specific (with numbers and all), which might be bad considering a 4-8 year break after schooling; oh yea - more work

I have no idea, but I am just guessing the BS would look better on a resume. Would the extra work be worth the extra credibility?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
tokie
Golden Member

get the BSc if at all possible. Though, Economics is generally thought of as a BA so in the job market a BA won't hurt you compared to other Economics candidates.

if you are interested in grad school, then the BSc definitely provides a leg up with better preparation.
tokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
boomhower
Diamond Member

BS would be my pick. Better foundation in the subject.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
UncleWai
Diamond Member

Better start taking up some math class if you are already a sophomore and want to get the BS
Old 01-10-2010, 03:08 AM   #5
GodlessAstronomer
Banned

You're basically only considering the BA because it's easier? Don't be a baby, take the more difficult but more valuable BS.
GodlessAstronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
gorcorps
aka Brandon

Shit son, I'm getting an MS in economics currently and I consider it easier than my BS (in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering). Don't be a whimp, the BS won't be that bad and can only help you.
gorcorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
Mike Gayner
Diamond Member

I think OP sounds too stupid to get the BS. Get the BA - you're obviously not cut out for a real degree.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
HenryC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner View Post
I think OP sounds too stupid to get the BS. Get the BA - you're obviously not cut out for a real degree.
Lol, you're probably not out of high school yet.
HenryC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:16 AM   #9
n yusef
Platinum Member

Do you know which area of economics you're interested in? If it's macro, get the BA since it's all bullshit anyway (and the math supporting it, doubly so) . For micro, go BS.

But really, you should pick a different subject; or better still, drop out and work at Starbucks. You don't know what you want to study and you don't even have the initiative to talk to a professor before you consult an online forum.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:24 AM   #10
fstime
Diamond Member

BS is a much better degree, but what's the point? Economics is a pretty shitty degree and usually looked down upon as inferior to business degrees.

The job opportunities for economics degrees usually go like this: "well, you will be doing similar work to what most [insert random business major here] but wont actually be a [insert business major here].
fstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
tfinch2
Lifer

For me it was the other way around, but it was in Computer Science. BS required taking two science classes with a lab, while BA required more CS classes. Math requirements were the same (Cal I & II, Discrete, Linear Algebra, Stats). I went with a BA.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
SKORPI0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
Shit son, I'm getting an MS in economics currently and I consider it easier than my BS (in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering). Don't be a whimp, the BS won't be that bad and can only help you.
Graduated with that degree mid 80's, strange that I barely used it. Ended up pursuing a different/much stressful career.

BS>BA, everyone know this...
NZXT Kraken X60 PULL, Samsung 830 128gb SSD (Windows 7), Kingston
SSDNow V300 120gb (OS X 10.8.2), Dual Yamakasi 2703, Logitech MK320.

Last edited by SKORPI0; 01-10-2010 at 09:00 AM.
SKORPI0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
sjwaste
Diamond Member

If you ever want a shot at grad school for econ, MS in Economics with a minor in math is the best way to go.

I have a BBA in Economics, not a widely offered degree, which was useful for my first/second jobs because employers saw it as a "business degree" when they wanted that and also as an "economics/finance" when they wanted those candidates. Assuming your school doesn't have that, do the BS and minor in math. It'll keep doors open.
sjwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
sjwaste
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouZouki View Post
BS is a much better degree, but what's the point? Economics is a pretty shitty degree and usually looked down upon as inferior to business degrees.

The job opportunities for economics degrees usually go like this: "well, you will be doing similar work to what most [insert random business major here] but wont actually be a [insert business major here].
That's just about 100% false. At my alma mater, BS/BA Econ were treated no differently than the BBA in any discipline for the purposes of recruiting. I know a fair number of BS Econ that went to banks, top consulting firms, etc.

Hiring managers know that a business degree is, at best, moderately difficult in terms of academic rigor. Economics is often thought of as more challenging, and most will overlook the fact that the "business core" is not included in the education.

When I was in consulting, I didn't see a whole lot of BBA Management, Marketing, etc. I did see a lot of BBA/BS Finance and Economics.
sjwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #15
BigToque
Lifer

I would say that unless you have a real interest in taking some specific NON-economics electives, I would go for the BSc.

In terms of employment, the BSc vs BA is a total non-issue.

Academically, having a BSc would probably look more attractive to a grad school if you were thinking of going for a masters (either in economics or business admin)
Old 01-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #16
Bignate603
Lifer

My brother just had to make this choice. He said after doing some research the BA is for people that want to say they have an economics degree. The BS is for people that actually want to do economics when after graduation.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #17
Q
Lifer

If you go the BA route, get a minor
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #18
JS80
Lifer

I would imagine the BS is more math oriented (econometrics?) and micro, vs BA is more macro.
JS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #19
slsmnaz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintox View Post
If you go the BA route, get a minor
that's what I did, BA in Econ with a business minor
slsmnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #20
titan131

Default Economic article

I have written an article on the US economy. If anyone interested then they can download it from: http://www.4shared.com/file/19342237...ic_Crisis.html
I am very worried about the future of the USA and UK especially. Err it really isn't hard to understand if you take an interest.
titan131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #21
Udgnim
Diamond Member

Quote:

this in regards to a BA

you better know people for an entry level position post-undergrad or continue studies for a Master's degree
Udgnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #22
JS80
Lifer

Quote:

Wow. This is absolutely false.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #23
Bignate603
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS80 View Post
Wow. This is absolutely false.
Yes, there's way too many schools out there handing out worthless 'business' degrees. If you want to go a good route to getting ahead in business a BS in econ followed by an MBA from a good school is a great path.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #24
JS80
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan131 View Post
I have written an article on the US economy. If anyone interested then they can download it from: http://www.4shared.com/file/19342237...ic_Crisis.html
I am very worried about the future of the USA and UK especially. Err it really isn't hard to understand if you take an interest.
lol that was horrible.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #25
titan131

did u understand it?
titan131 is offline   Reply With Quote