· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #51
HannibalX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotF Bane View Post
that was not the OP's intent.
Absolutely right, his intent was to park his car legally. Realizing that he was not able to do so in that space, he decided to back out and turn around, only to be kept from doing so by police. Telling the judge that he was in the middle of a three point turn and that he was simply turning around is absolutely true.

Don't cry for me, Argentinaaaa!!
HannibalX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #52
darkswordsman17
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum View Post
that's not the answer to everything you know
What do you expect he's a rhino.

Yeah, OP, definitely fight it. With those pictures you have, you can't see shit.

Of course, I'm kinda wondering why you would be parking there, it looks like the one on the other side of the curb is open.

Last edited by darkswordsman17; 01-06-2010 at 09:32 AM.
darkswordsman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #53
SunSamurai
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver01 View Post
well.. i cant see pics behind a firewall, so ya... your post does sound like you were in the yukon.

if not.. then ignore me.

Youre an idiot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubycon View Post
I played with lots of nuts when I was younger than that...
They had names and came in all sorts of sizes from 2mm through 50mm. :o.
SunSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #54
MotionMan
Lifer

It may not be directly on point, but there is a difference between "parking" and "stopping". That is the reason why you will see "no stopping" vs. "no parking" signs (especially in large downtowns during rush hour when the parking area on the street can be used as an extra driving lane).

OP, was the ticket for "parking" in a handicapped space or something else?

MotionMan
MotionMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #55
Number1
Diamond Member

If the cop who gave you the ticket did not believe your story what's the chance a judge will? It's your words against the cops.
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4200, MSI P67A-G43 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155, Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit, 5450 Radeon 500M X 2, 4TB storage, 600W OCZ GameXtream, Windows 7 HP 64, Samsung Syncmaster2463uw, Audio password Audio
Number1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #56
HelloWorl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardman View Post
That parking space is not marked correctly. Your ticket should be nullifed, fight it. The parking space needs to be outlined in blue (blue lines instead of white). Clearly from your pictures the lines are white. So that is not a handicapped parking space according to the law, only a courtesy parking space.

To be 100% sure tell us what state this was in, but I am pretty sure you are in the right.
Funny you mention this as a friend had also stated the same thing. This was in California. I looked up the law, and I do believe that these parking spaces are legal. From what I could tell, the spot is legal if it has a sign in the spot and a sign directly in front of the spot as well.

Instead of a sign in the spot itself, it can have a blue line separating the spots. At least from what I could determine from what I read.

If you find something to the contrary, please let me know. I would much much appreciate it!
HelloWorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #57
jlee
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotF Bane View Post
jlee, who does get the money from tickets for you?
It funds the police academy, judges' retirement...and I'm not sure where else. We get money from (town ordinance) parking tickets, but not (state law) traffic violations.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #58
feralkid
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
Wow that's pretty bad, I did not figure they could even ticket if you're still in the car. Technically you're not parked until the car is stopped.

I don't understand handicap spots sometimes though. They are often in places that make no sense. For example at one of our arenas there is like 8 of them. Seriously, what are the odds that 8 people in wheelchairs come to watch a hockey game? They can't even see over the boards! Not to be mean or anything, but it's true lol.

No, it's not true.

Handicapped permits are for people who cannot walk, or because a visible or hidden impairment makes walking difficult or hazardous.

This is not just for people in wheelchairs.
feralkid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #59
HelloWorl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCRambler View Post
Yeah that's pretty crappy. I've done this myself when it was dark. Fortunately there was a person standing there that pointed out the sign when I got out of the car. I completely missed it. It makes you feel like a world class ass too. The spot I did it in was basically set up the same way this one was.

I think they should be required to paint the handicap symbol on the pavement in addition to the sign because the tiny ass sign is way less obvious than a big ass painted logo on the ground. They mark them very clearly at the malls and supermarket with signs and painted pavement.
There is a sign on the pavement actually, but I did not see it for a few reasons:
1) The angle in which I pulled in to the spot had my side view mirror blocking the sign on the pavement. The reason I was as far over on the left side was due to someone pulling out of a spot on the right side, which caused me to swerve over to the left a bit.

2) The sign itself was moderately washed out.

3) There are zero lights on in front of the two handicap spots. To get the second picture in the original post, I set the exposure for something like 3.6 seconds I think. It's honestly very poorly lit since the store is vacant in front of the spots.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #60
TehMac
Diamond Member

Quote:
Wow that's pretty bad, I did not figure they could even ticket if you're still in the car. Technically you're not parked until the car is stopped.

I don't understand handicap spots sometimes though. They are often in places that make no sense. For example at one of our arenas there is like 8 of them. Seriously, what are the odds that 8 people in wheelchairs come to watch a hockey game? They can't even see over the boards! Not to be mean or anything, but it's true lol.
It's a government regulation--or at least a state regulation, but probably on a Federal level as well.

For every X amount of parking for normal people, a ratio of X amounts of disabled people need to have disabled parking spots.

Some states are more extreme than others.

Anyway OP, I would definitely take it to court. Get a good lawyer, don't WHINE or EVEN MENTION tinted windows, say you pulled in, car was still running, you backed out, but was blocked by the cop.

The cop probably won't even show up. Just dress nicely, be polite, don't say anything stupid and incriminating, and the judge will probably drop the whole thing.
TehMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #61
HelloWorl

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 View Post
What do you expect he's a rhino.

Yeah, OP, definitely fight it. With those pictures you have, you can't see shit.

Of course, I'm kinda wondering why you would be parking there, it looks like the one on the other side of the curb is open.
There were tons of open spots at the time, I simply pulled in to this one as I didn't realize it was handicap.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #62
HelloWorl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotionMan View Post
It may not be directly on point, but there is a difference between "parking" and "stopping". That is the reason why you will see "no stopping" vs. "no parking" signs (especially in large downtowns during rush hour when the parking area on the street can be used as an extra driving lane).

OP, was the ticket for "parking" in a handicapped space or something else?

MotionMan
The citation states, "Disabled Parking/No Placard Visible"
Old 01-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #63
calvinbiss
Golden Member

In Texas, anyone can park in the handicapped spots in front of a store which is closed. This is always beneficial for going to bars in shopping centers/with shared lots becuase most people don't know this and leave these spots open.
"There is more difference between a zebra and a horse, or between a dolphin and a porpoise, than there is between you and the furry creatures your distant ancestors left behind when they set out to take over the world" - Bill Bryson

myur

calvinbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #64
mugs
Lifer

If what you're saying is true, the cop sounds like a dick. The handicapped spot has white lines and the sign is all the way on the left side where it's obscured by the Yukon and not immediately obvious when you turn into the spot. I'd fight it.

"Giants are the luckiest team I've ever seen in my entire life" - Reckoner; Super Bowl XLVI
mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #65
HelloWorl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehMac View Post
It's a government regulation--or at least a state regulation, but probably on a Federal level as well.

For every X amount of parking for normal people, a ratio of X amounts of disabled people need to have disabled parking spots.

Some states are more extreme than others.

Anyway OP, I would definitely take it to court. Get a good lawyer, don't WHINE or EVEN MENTION tinted windows, say you pulled in, car was still running, you backed out, but was blocked by the cop.

The cop probably won't even show up. Just dress nicely, be polite, don't say anything stupid and incriminating, and the judge will probably drop the whole thing.
I was overly reasonable with the officer, though I didn't state my case as clearly as I'd like due to some nervousness for obvious reasons.

I'm afraid the dashcam won't pick up anything other than me slowly backing out as the officer was pulling around the corner when this happened so he didn't see how long I was pulled in to the spot for. He was just coming over to Starbucks to pick up a coffee, not patrolling the lot.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #66
SKORPI0
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaitsev View Post
The cop blocked you in? What kind of shit is that? Sounds like he was trying to make a quota...
OP, looks like you're not the first victim. The cop was obviously waiting for somebody to do that mistake. I just don't see the justification of them blocking you in. In our place, handicap parking signs are required.

NZXT Kraken X60 PULL, Samsung 830 128gb SSD (Windows 7), Kingston
SSDNow V300 120gb (OS X 10.8.2), Dual Yamakasi 2703, Logitech MK320.
SKORPI0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #67
jlee
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKORPI0 View Post
OP, looks like you're not the first victim. The cop was obviously waiting for somebody to do that mistake. I just don't see the justification of them blocking you in. In our place, handicap parking signs are required.

I suppose he could've let him back out completely, and then initiated a traffic stop. Same results.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #68
HelloWorl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKORPI0 View Post

No, he wasn't waiting for someone to pull in. He was coming around the corner and saw me trying to back out of the spot. He just pulled in behind me and blocked me in (again, I think this is probably standard practice) and immediately started to issue me a ticket.

The spots do have signs above them as well as in them. They're just not visible to me from the angle in which I turned in to the spot due to the large Yukon.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #69
mugs
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloWorl View Post
I was overly reasonable with the officer, though I didn't state my case as clearly as I'd like due to some nervousness for obvious reasons.

I'm afraid the dashcam won't pick up anything other than me slowly backing out as the officer was pulling around the corner when this happened so he didn't see how long I was pulled in to the spot for. He was just coming over to Starbucks to pick up a coffee, not patrolling the lot.
That makes more sense and is more reasonable. But I'm not sure why he'd block you in when he has no way to know if you have the handicapped placard at that point. Does this guy harass all handicapped people who are pulling out of parking spots in hopes of finding people who aren't handicapped?

"Giants are the luckiest team I've ever seen in my entire life" - Reckoner; Super Bowl XLVI
mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #70
ProgressiveAthe
Banned

Quote:

Not everyone who is handicap is in a wheelchair. Most people are infact not.
ProgressiveAthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #71
TehMac
Diamond Member

Honestly, cops who pull these stunts just scream "CORRUPT!!!!" to me. They have no sense of dignity or respect for their profession or the community they're serving, but just have an inflated ego and want to get their quotas in no matter the truth of anything.
TehMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #72
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler

He wasn't ticketed for parking in a parking spot... he was ticketed for intent to park... (okay, making this shit up)
Old 01-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #73
HelloWorl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugs View Post
That makes more sense and is more reasonable. But I'm not sure why he'd block you in when he has no way to know if you have the handicapped placard at that point. Does this guy harass all handicapped people who are pulling out of parking spots in hopes of finding people who aren't handicapped?
Hmm, good point...I don't know what caused him to immediately pull up to me and block me in. Good instincts I suppose?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #74
kalrith
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloWorl View Post
The citation states, "Disabled Parking/No Placard Visible"
There's a difference between stopping, standing, and parking as seen in some signs that prohibit all three. If you didn't put it into park, then you were just stopping. If you put it into park but didn't get out or turn off the vehicle, then you were standing.

You might be able to get out of the ticket if you weren't technically parked since the ticket states that you were.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #75
LTC8K6
Lifer

Yeah, how did he know you hadn't just pulled your handicapped placard off your mirror and were leaving, or were just about to put it on your mirror as you arrived?

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is offline   Reply With Quote