· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-18-2009, 05:18 AM   #1
DivideBYZero
Banned

Default Camping in an FPS. Deal with it.

STFU. It's a valid tactic.

Yelling 'effing camper', or 'All you can do is camp' or 'campers suck', is more a reaction to getting suckered into a campers trap.

Out on a real battlefield people don't run around like headless chickens firing randomly. THAT is the problem, not camping. Play a game in hardcore mode and see how many headless chickens you get. No where near as many, unless they enjoy being cannon fodder.
DivideBYZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
Spineshank
Diamond Member

I only get pissed when people spawn camp. But i agree.

15" rMBP  iPhone 5 16GB  iPad Mini 16GB  2TB Time Capsule
Spineshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
sao123
Lifer

so if i understand you everyone should pick a 1 entrance room and sit crouched in the corner and watch the doorway, and the match should end:
player 1: 00
player 2: 00
player 3: 00
player 4: 00
player 5: 00
player 6: 00
player 7: 00
player 8: 00
player 9: 00
player 10: 00
player 11: 00
player 12: 00

camping is for morons.

Originally posted by: Dank69
It's (expletive deleted) easy. Throw seeds on the ground. Plants sprout. Pick hamburgers. Repeat.
sao123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
digiram
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sao123 View Post
so if i understand you everyone should pick a 1 entrance room and sit crouched in the corner and watch the doorway, and the match should end:
player 1: 00
player 2: 00
player 3: 00
player 4: 00
player 5: 00
player 6: 00
player 7: 00
player 8: 00
player 9: 00
player 10: 00
player 11: 00
player 12: 00

camping is for morons.
Camping is a tactic. You have to use the right strategy to flush them out. Use heartbeat sensor or uav to find people's location. Toss a frag or send a noob tube their way. Stuff like that.

As a sniper, you pretty much have to camp. So, it's your job to find their location.
Core i5 2380p @ 4.0 ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Sparkle GTX 470 @ 700 core, 60 gb Corsair Force 3, 128gb OCZ petrol, 320 WD Blue, Antec HCG 620m, Cooler Master ATCS 840, M-audio Fast Track, Rokit Studio Monitors, M-Audio Axiom. Reason 5 and Pro-Tools 7

Heat
Good Music
digiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
sao123
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiram View Post
Camping is a tactic. You have to use the right strategy to flush them out. Use heartbeat sensor or uav to find people's location. Toss a frag or send a noob tube their way. Stuff like that.

As a sniper, you pretty much have to camp. So, it's your job to find their location.

sniping is far different from camping, they arent even close.

Originally posted by: Dank69
It's (expletive deleted) easy. Throw seeds on the ground. Plants sprout. Pick hamburgers. Repeat.
sao123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
Kabob
Lifer

There's a difference between "camping" and holding a high traffic choke point. Since I assume you're talking about MW2 I'll put it this way, someone watching one of the bridges on Invasion or the the food court area or ticket area on Terminal is holding a choke point. People hold those for tactical advantage. Someone lying down in a random house on Invasion that's away from the action hoping that someone just walks by so they can get an easy kill is camping. The first I'm 100% totally fine with, it's a tactical game, hold important areas for tactical advantage. The second I think ruins the game.

My GameTZ reviews | XBox Live: I Kabob I | Heat

GO VOLS!
Kabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
Spineshank
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabob View Post
There's a difference between "camping" and holding a high traffic choke point. Since I assume you're talking about MW2 I'll put it this way, someone watching one of the bridges on Invasion or the the food court area or ticket area on Terminal is holding a choke point. People hold those for tactical advantage. Someone lying down in a random house on Invasion that's away from the action hoping that someone just walks by so they can get an easy kill is camping. The first I'm 100% totally fine with, it's a tactical game, hold important areas for tactical advantage. The second I think ruins the game.
How does that ruin the game? Maybe for the dude camping its probably boring but i dont see any other way.

15" rMBP  iPhone 5 16GB  iPad Mini 16GB  2TB Time Capsule
Spineshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
erwos
Diamond Member

My problem with camping is more in games like Counterstrike, where you've got timed rounds and no respawns (within a round). No one wants to spend two minutes watching a few guys sit in a corner.
Handhelds: PSP Go, PS Vita, 3DS XL, GBA-SP, SGS3, iPhone 4
erwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
AstroManLuca
Lifer

Quote:
Yeah it's annoying but I don't think it ruins the game. It's just something that happens. I remember getting killed by some dude on Rundown who was camping in the rafters of a house. He had zero view of anything other than the stairs leading up to the second floor of the house, and it wasn't a trivial matter to get to where he was either (walking across rafters).

On the other hand, there have been times when I killed someone who must have assumed based on the killcam (if he watched it, which I'm sure he didn't) that I was camping some tiny random corner of the map. In fact, I was most likely alerted to him some other way, probably by hearing footsteps or possibly seeing a blip on the map. So I took a guess at where he was going and camped that spot for 10-20 seconds and got the kill when he went through it. But I don't tend to just camp in a random corner somewhere. If I do stay put, it's in an area that's easy to defend and that has a lot of traffic.

I don't get too mad at people who just camp constantly because either they're getting a lot of kills and winning because they are doing something right, or they are camping in a totally random spot and not getting very many kills.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
purbeast0
Lifer

yay another MW2 thread just what we need!
purbeast0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #11
Cuda1447
Lifer

I'm a camper. There, I admitted it. I will sit in an area that is easy to defend and gives me a good view of a lot of people to shoot. I will stay there the entire game if you let me. If you try to get me, you have to get through my claymores first
Cuda1447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #12
lokiju
Lifer

Man I really get pissed in a game when....

Oh wait, never. IT'S JUST A GAME!
PSN: l0k1ju
Come play some MW3! Just note ATOT in invite so I don't ignore.
lokiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #13
Kev
Lifer

I do a variation of camping now in MW2 that has become one of my favorite pwnage strategies of all time.

I got sick of seeing money fly out of my body every 30 seconds, because the stupid game always spawns the last guy you killed 30 feet away from you. They subsequently haul ass right to where you killed them so they can get you back.

Well I started using this to my advantage. Now I stay in the same general area and change position after each kill. Inevitably every dumbshit on XBL will expect me to be in the exact position that I was last time, so I ambush them. I got one guy 8 times in a row last night. Laughing my ass off.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #14
digiram
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sao123 View Post
sniping is far different from camping, they arent even close.
That's true...while sniping you have to be on the look out for people and if you can see them they can potentially see you.
Core i5 2380p @ 4.0 ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Sparkle GTX 470 @ 700 core, 60 gb Corsair Force 3, 128gb OCZ petrol, 320 WD Blue, Antec HCG 620m, Cooler Master ATCS 840, M-audio Fast Track, Rokit Studio Monitors, M-Audio Axiom. Reason 5 and Pro-Tools 7

Heat
Good Music
digiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #15
jman19
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast0 View Post
yay another MW2 thread just what we need!
The OP never said anything about MW2.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #16
AstroManLuca
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokiju View Post
Man I really get pissed in a game when....

Oh wait, never. IT'S JUST A GAME!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #17
Dorkenstein
Diamond Member

Camping is lazy, I usually laugh at myself when I get shanked by a camper because I know I can run around and get kills, but some campers can only get kills by sitting still and waiting for the unwary. It's just a game, I find blatant cheaters far worse than campers.

HEATWARE
Dorkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #18
darkswordsman17
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spineshank View Post
How does that ruin the game? Maybe for the dude camping its probably boring but i dont see any other way.
Yeah, I've never understood the whining about camping.

I actually enjoy playing against campers even. Its fun trying to dig them out and getting the upper hand. Team campers is even better. Do the people whining about campers never play king of the hill game modes? The whole point is to camp.

I posted in the MW2 thread about using camping as a team strategy where most of the group funnels people to one or two others on the team that are in a position to easily kill them. Switch the players doing the "camping" and even position to keep the other team off guard and kill counts balanced.

Mostly, camper is just a bastardized phrase that people like to yell and blame for them getting killed and whining about it. Most campers are not very good players and so if you're good you can easily kill them. If you're on a team and someone wants to camp then instead of whining about them why don't you use it to your advantage? You can still play the game how you want to, but can also help the team, or you can accept it as a challenge and try to improve your play.

All of that being said, I prefer fast-paced hectic shooters for multi-player most of the time and camping is largely ineffective in them (actually it often makes you an easy target).
Old 12-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #19
cyphilis

I pitch tents all over, especially if you let me. I will lay on the ground with a big gun and shoot every knee cap I see cross my path. If you don't like it,.. find a way to get behind me and kill me.
cyphilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #20
SneakyStuff
Diamond Member

They say camping I say "strategic placement" .
SneakyStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #21
mugs
Lifer

Quote:
This. You can call it a valid tactic since it doesn't break any of the rules of the game, but that doesn't mean I can't think the guy is a worthless piece of trash. I wouldn't want that guy on my team any more than I'd want to play against him.

Now, if he knows I'm going to come around that corner and he waits for me then I can't fault him for that.

I don't see true camping that often.

"Giants are the luckiest team I've ever seen in my entire life" - Reckoner; Super Bowl XLVI

Last edited by mugs; 12-18-2009 at 03:36 PM.
mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #22
zerocool84
Lifer

How long have you been playing FPS's if this is just bugging you now?
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #23
Ackmed
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
STFU. It's a valid tactic.

Yelling 'effing camper', or 'All you can do is camp' or 'campers suck', is more a reaction to getting suckered into a campers trap.

Out on a real battlefield people don't run around like headless chickens firing randomly. THAT is the problem, not camping. Play a game in hardcore mode and see how many headless chickens you get. No where near as many, unless they enjoy being cannon fodder.
Um, this isnt new news. Its been done since FPS' have been around. Which is longer than they have been on consoles.

I dont mind campers, as long as they dont spawn camp. Spawn camping with a one shot kill weapon is beyond gay. But people have been doing that since the rail gun in Q2 and even before that.

And playing a game isnt really comparable to a "real battlefield" either. Not a valid comparison.
Ackmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #24
ivan2
Diamond Member

i agree, if you don't check camp spot and died, you suck.
ivan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #25
DivideBYZero
Banned

I'm quite aware it's not a new phenomena, I've been playing FPS games since the original Wolfenstien. What bugs me is piss poor players yelling camper when you caught them with their pants down. Camping is a player hiding at the expense of everything, even killing other players, not hiding to catch someone you know is close or will soon pass by.

On the other hand tonight I got team camped. Our team kept on running into them, so I and a friend camped out for them until they came to us, then we brought the pain. Before that we were meat in their grinder.
DivideBYZero is offline   Reply With Quote