· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-31-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
bnlitin

Default X-Fi Titanium vs Audigy 2

I currently have an PC with an old Audigy 2 soundcard connected to Logitech Z-5500 speakers. I am quite happy with the sound (connecting through S/PDIF and 5.1 analog).

I am running Vista x64 with the latest Creative drivers.
I noticed that some games, like GRID have the hardware acceleration for sound disabled (only enabled for X-Fi). I am not running Alchemy.

I play the following games: Call of Duty 4, Lego Indiana Jones, Grid, World in Conflict, Madden 08., Guitar Hero 3.
Will I noticed any substantial improvement in sound quality / positioning if I upgraded my sound card from Audigy 2 to X-Fi Titanium?

On which games would I see the most improvement?

Is the EAX 5.0 significantly better then EAX in Audigy 2?

bnlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
43st
Diamond Member

The X-fi is a substantial upgrade from the Audigy line, and the Titanium line is better still. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
corkyg
Peripherals

I wager that a blind test of all those sound systems on the same type of computer would find no audible difference in sound quality.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Puffnstuff
Platinum Member

With a descent speaker system like yours yes you will definately see the difference. I would however suggest that you also consider the asus xonar d2/d2x when you compare cards. I just replaced my 4 month old x-fi xtremegamer fatal1ty pro which croaked with an asus xonar d2x and it is so much cleaner with a richer sound than the x-fi even with the latest drivers. Creative software is bloatware and hogs system resources.
Loop 1: EVGA x58 E760 i7 930, HK 3.0 cpu block, EK chipset block & dual bay res, swiftech mcp655 pump, feser x360 rad, scythe fan controller & panaflow fans, bp & feser fittings, distilled water w/primochill liquid utopia, samsung 840 pro 256gb
Loop 2: Dead and buried.
PNY 780 ti gpu, Powered by Enermax Platimax 1350 watt
Puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
CKent
Diamond Member

I'm done with Creative after the nforce4 chipset popping / crackling problem affected my new nforce4 mb build. I never would have bought another of their sound cards anyway because of the bloated software, low sound quality, horrible drivers, bad support and high price, but the popping problem forced me to upgrade immediately. I went with a Xonar DX and I'm pretty happy with it. Of course if you're looking at an X-Fi, you can spend the bucks on the higher end Xonar cards - but they might not include front audio pinouts as the DX does - something to look into. Upgrade your speakers or buy some decent headphones and you'll really start to appreciate the sound quality with CDs, flac files or high bitrate aac/ogg. Yes, even over an X-fi. Especially, you might say. One review I read had the DX and D2X neck & neck in sound quality for music, with the X-fi barely beating out onboard sound. Creative sucks, don't support them and their monopoly.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
chizow
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: bnlitin
I currently have an PC with an old Audigy 2 soundcard connected to Logitech Z-5500 speakers. I am quite happy with the sound (connecting through S/PDIF and 5.1 analog).

I am running Vista x64 with the latest Creative drivers.
I noticed that some games, like GRID have the hardware acceleration for sound disabled (only enabled for X-Fi). I am not running Alchemy.

I play the following games: Call of Duty 4, Lego Indiana Jones, Grid, World in Conflict, Madden 08., Guitar Hero 3.
Will I noticed any substantial improvement in sound quality / positioning if I upgraded my sound card from Audigy 2 to X-Fi Titanium?

On which games would I see the most improvement?

Is the EAX 5.0 significantly better then EAX in Audigy 2?
If you're smart enough to have chosen your Audigy 2 over your onboard, then you'll definitely appreciate an X-Fi over an Audigy 2. I haven't read up on the Titanium but the listed specs are a slight improvement over the PCI versions and may eliminate any chance of the residual problems with cracking/popping with the move to PCIE.

You should see a noticeable improvement in sound quality for all of your games, but positional effects should be similar. CoD4 and WiC both use proprietary positional sound engines that use up to 64 voices I believe. The others I'm not sure about as I don't have them. There are numerous titles though in my current library that make great use of EAX5 though and add significantly to gameplay (Mass Effect, LOTRO, GoW, BioShock, The Witcher, just to name a few).

The Titanium adds a few nice features like PCIE and DDLive/DTS Connect, but there's an HDMI version coming out in September from Auzentech. May be worth waiting for, otherwise the Titanium is certainly going to be a nice upgrade for you.

Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC (680 PCB) SLI | Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Vision LCD | Samsung 840 250GB SSD | HyperX 3x120GB SSD RAID 0 | WD Black 2x1.5TB RAID 0 | Sony STR-DG1000 A/V Receiver | Polk Audio RM6880 7.1| LG Blu-Ray | Auzen X-Fi HT HD | Logitech G110/G700/G27/G930 | Cooler Master HAF X | Antec TPQ 1200W
chizow is offline   Reply With Quote