Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > Operating Systems

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
OVerLoRDI
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,326
Default Windows XP cannot access Windows 7 shares

I know this is a popular google search but I have followed all the directions there and have had no luck so far. My Windows 7 machine has numerous network shares that are all easily and painlessly accessible by anyone using 7 or Vista. I have 2 Windows XP machines on the network that get access denied errors when I try to access shares on the Windows 7 machine. The Windows 7 machines can access the shares on both the XP machines. All machines have the latest updates.

No machines are running local firewalls
All machines are connected via a wired switch
All machines are under the same User Account without a password
Can access XP shares from Windows 7 but not Windows 7 shares from XP
Windows Vista and 7 machines can properly access shares.

Edit: I got it to work for a while by setting it to work network, but now it stops working after my computer has been on for a day or so. Once I reboot my server it allows XP machines to reconnect, but there is some cut off points after so many hours XP machines can no longer connect.

Last edited by OVerLoRDI; 11-22-2009 at 11:06 PM.
OVerLoRDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
J3S73R
Senior Member
 
J3S73R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Arizona
Posts: 201
Default

ive had to add a username/password specifically for xp or lower machines then map the drives/shares with the selected username etc
J3S73R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
OVerLoRDI
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,326
Default

Yeah that looks like what I'll have to do. Very frustrating.
OVerLoRDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
fffblackmage
Platinum Member
 
fffblackmage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,539
Default

There's also something like "Password protected sharing" somewhere...

Here: Go to the control panel > Network and Internet > Homegroup, then click "Change advanced sharing settings." Make sure "Password protected sharing" is off.
fffblackmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member
 
JackMDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 26,498
Default

Win 7 has three types of Sharing configuration when configured on peer-to-peer Network.

Home Network = Works only between Win 7 computers, and make it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network sharing.

Work Network = which is basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that let you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.

Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security risks.

The Work Network is the one that most of us are going (and need) to use.

Unfortunately, I do not have yet good links for the Win 7 "Work Network" Sharing.

However in principle it similar to Vista (some menu in locations in Win 7 might be in different place, and look a little different, but it should not be a problem for a computer enthusiasts to adopt)

So, maybe this can Help.

Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your 3rd Party Firewall instructions.

General example, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted

Vista File and Printer Sharing- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

Windows XP File Sharing - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040 http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040

Printer Sharing XP - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...utt_july2.mspx

Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357

Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista (Not need for XP-SP3) - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

When finished with the setting of the system it is advisable to Reboot all the hardware including Router and all computers involved.
__________________
Jack
Microsoft, MVP - Networking.

Last edited by JackMDS; 11-16-2009 at 01:56 PM.
JackMDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
OVerLoRDI
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,326
Default

Thank you so much JackMDS, it worked perfectly after I switched it to work network. This new sharing system is a bit too confusing for its own good.
OVerLoRDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
JackMDS
Super Moderator
Elite Member
 
JackMDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 26,498
Default

I drove cars for 40 years without GPS.

When I got my New car it was confusing to learn the GPS too.

But you are right, Microsoft marketing guys are so enthusiastic to point to the New Thingies (the individual "trees") and they forget about the the total picture (the "forest").
__________________
Jack
Microsoft, MVP - Networking.
JackMDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
Modelworks
Lifer
 
Modelworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 16,237
Default

Networking is one of my most disliked features of win7. I really hate the way it is implemented. Especially if you are someone who swaps devices out a lot. You have to sit and wait while windows decides what kind of connection it is before it will let you have any say.
Modelworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
OVerLoRDI
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,326
Default

Well it worked for a while.... But now it stopped working. If I reboot my server it works once again but there is some strange cut off point where after a day or so my XP machines can no longer connect. Any ideas?
OVerLoRDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
BlueWeasel
Lifer
 
BlueWeasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Tupelo
Posts: 15,406
Default

Jack:

Thanks for the Home/Work distinction in Windows 7. I've been having some issues connecting my Win7 shares to other devices (XBMC Samba specifically) and this may fix it.
__________________
Desktop:: 2500K@4.7Ghz/ 7950/16GB RAM/CM690/120GB SSD/3.0TB Storage/Win8.1
Laptop:: Macbook Air (2012)/128GB SSD/8GB RAM
Heatware 158-0-0
BlueWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
rigfennid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6
Default

Check your network card configuration. Go to Network Connections and right-click your ethernet connection and choose Properties. Under where it shows the card, there is a Configure button. On (IIRC) the last tab, there is a checkbox for "allow this device to be turned off to save power" or something to that effect. Remove the check, click "OK" several times to confirm the change, and you should be done with the "timeout" issue.
rigfennid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
Shik
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVerLoRDI View Post
Well it worked for a while.... But now it stopped working. If I reboot my server it works once again but there is some strange cut off point where after a day or so my XP machines can no longer connect. Any ideas?
I have this same problem and I can't believe other people don't? After I reboot my Windows 7 desktop, my windows XP clients can connect to shares on the Windows 7 machine, with their saved username/passwords. After 1-3 days, the shares stop working with the error "the specified server cannot perform the requested operation". My Vista clients can continue to connect to the Windows 7 shares. My Windows 7 machine can connect back to shares on the Windows XP clients. My Windows XP clients can connect to other Windows XP clients. My windows XP client is running an RDP to the Windows 7 machine, but can't access the shares!

anyone?
Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #13
famfam
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Default Same Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shik View Post
I have this same problem and I can't believe other people don't? After I reboot my Windows 7 desktop, my windows XP clients can connect to shares on the Windows 7 machine, with their saved username/passwords. After 1-3 days, the shares stop working with the error "the specified server cannot perform the requested operation". My Vista clients can continue to connect to the Windows 7 shares. My Windows 7 machine can connect back to shares on the Windows XP clients. My Windows XP clients can connect to other Windows XP clients. My windows XP client is running an RDP to the Windows 7 machine, but can't access the shares!

anyone?
I also am experiencing the very same problem. If I reboot the Windows 7 machine, all network shares are accessible again from Windows XP. After a period of time (sometimes a couple of hours), only the Windows XP machines are unable to access the Windows 7 shares. Other Windows 7 machines on the same network are still able to access the Windows 7 shares. Anyone resolved this issue?
famfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #14
Perryg114
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 633
Default

Are all machines on the same workgroup? I just ran into this. Windows XP always installs stuff into Workgroup. Well my home computers are on a different workgroup. It seems that the wizards don't always ask what you want your workgroup name to be. Also XP does not reconize homegroup. My Windows 7 machines did not care if the server and computers were on different workgroups but XP would not let me open shared folders on a different workgroup.

Even if you are setup using a work network in Win 7 you still got to make sure that all the machines are in the same workgroup. It seems that every different OS has different default workgroups etc. The problem is that even when the workgroups are not the same it sorta kinda maybe sometimes works depending on which OS you are using. XP won't let you share with other workgroups at least not by default.

Perry

Last edited by Perryg114; 12-19-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #15
famfam
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryg114 View Post
Are all machines on the same workgroup? I just ran into this. Windows XP always installs stuff into Workgroup. Well my home computers are on a different workgroup. It seems that the wizards don't always ask what you want your workgroup name to be. Also XP does not reconize homegroup. My Windows 7 machines did not care if the server and computers were on different workgroups but XP would not let me open shared folders on a different workgroup.

Even if you are setup using a work network in Win 7 you still got to make sure that all the machines are in the same workgroup. It seems that every different OS has different default workgroups etc. The problem is that even when the workgroups are not the same it sorta kinda maybe sometimes works depending on which OS you are using. XP won't let you share with other workgroups at least not by default.

Perry

Hi Perry,

Yes, all the servers are on the same workgroup including the same character casing (all caps). Also, disabled all firewalls. Like I mentioned earlier, everything works good for a while. Then all of a sudden all XP machines cease to connect to Windows 7 server shares. Only way to resolve is to reboot the Windows 7 servers. Rebooting the XP machines does not resolve the issue. Not sure what can be wrong, but seems something on the Windows 7 side. Given that I have no issues with Windows 7 clients, I am looking into upgrading the XP machines to Windows 7.

Any other thoughts will be appreciated...
famfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #16
Zargon
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 11,902
Default

this thread is very helpful!
__________________
heatware | steam | ebay
Reaumur(Gamer): Silverstone Raven02, Antec HCG900, Z77 Fata1ity/3770K, 16GB DDR3-1833, 2x7950@1Ghz, 27" IPS
Kelvin(3D-HTPC):Q9550 w/H50, P5G41, 4GB DDR2-1066, 5870 w accellero xtreme
Chill(Server): Thuban x6@3.3 wH50 8gb ddr3 4x1.5tb ESXi
Zargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #17
willis888
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMDS View Post
. . . The Work Network is the one that most of us are going (and need) to use . . .

THANK YOU!

I've been fighting to get XP boxes connected to Windows 7 shared folders for weeks.
willis888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #18
Blazer
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,051
Default

leave the homegroup and donot rejoin, by default it active in W7.
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #19
muddevil
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by famfam View Post
Hi Perry,

Yes, all the servers are on the same workgroup including the same character casing (all caps). Also, disabled all firewalls. Like I mentioned earlier, everything works good for a while. Then all of a sudden all XP machines cease to connect to Windows 7 server shares. Only way to resolve is to reboot the Windows 7 servers. Rebooting the XP machines does not resolve the issue. Not sure what can be wrong, but seems something on the Windows 7 side. Given that I have no issues with Windows 7 clients, I am looking into upgrading the XP machines to Windows 7.

Any other thoughts will be appreciated...
Has there been a resolution found for this problem? I've been dealing with this for months - very frustrating! Can access shares for a while, but then (usually overnight) they can no longer be accessed from the XP box. Reboot the Win 7 machine and all is working again.

Help!!!!
muddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:34 AM   #20
bogibogi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1
Default


I think the SOLUTION for this Windows-share-problem is explained here:
http://alan.lamielle.net/2009/09/03/...srv-error-2017

Finally, I solved my XP-to-Win7 share problem --- Test passed OK

((
"You need to tell Windows that you want to use the machine as a file server and that it should allocate resources accordingly..."
Set the following registry key to ’1′:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache
and set the following registry key to ’3′:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServe r\Parameters\Size
After making these changes and restarting, I haven’t seen this issue arise again.

))

bogibogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #21
lowrider69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 422
Default

Mine is set to home network and I have no problem with my XP machine seeing shares and vice versa. I have homegroup disabled.

Last edited by lowrider69; 10-20-2010 at 11:32 AM.
lowrider69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #22
WhyWindows
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1
Default One Possible Solution

I have 3 PCs on a wireless home network-one running Win7 (lets name it Win7) and two running XPsp3 (named XP1 and XP2). Win7 can see shares on both XP1 and XP2. XP1 can see shares on Win7 and XP2. XP2, however, could only see shares on XP1 and not Win7. I probably went through most if not more of what has been mentioned above. Connection properties, workgroups, registry values (for ipconfig /all), etc. were identical for XP1 and XP2.

Only thing different was that XP2 required a user logon password when booting up. I removed the requirement for a logon password on XP2 and bingo it now sees shares on Win7 as well as XP1 (sort of a "hail-mary" only option left; and no thanks to MS support for the answer in this case). Why a password protected logon on XP1 would block access to Win7 and not another XP PC is beyond me, let alone how difficult its to find an answer (witness this thread and similar forums); but then, that's Windows. The conspiracy theory in me says such issues are purposeful by MS to bury XP.
WhyWindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #23
lupi
Lifer
 
lupi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: duh, winning!
Posts: 25,685
Default

ugh, came bowsing the forum just now after another shitty vista file share experience to see if they improved it in 7 (cause god forbid it worked fine in XP so why not see just how fucked up we can make in it every version after) and see that there seems to be no improvement.
lupi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #24
chillywinter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVerLoRDI View Post
I know this is a popular google search but I have followed all the directions there and have had no luck so far. My Windows 7 machine has numerous network shares that are all easily and painlessly accessible by anyone using 7 or Vista. I have 2 Windows XP machines on the network that get access denied errors when I try to access shares on the Windows 7 machine. The Windows 7 machines can access the shares on both the XP machines. All machines have the latest updates.

No machines are running local firewalls
All machines are connected via a wired switch
All machines are under the same User Account without a password
Can access XP shares from Windows 7 but not Windows 7 shares from XP
Windows Vista and 7 machines can properly access shares.

Edit: I got it to work for a while by setting it to work network, but now it stops working after my computer has been on for a day or so. Once I reboot my server it allows XP machines to reconnect, but there is some cut off points after so many hours XP machines can no longer connect.
Same problem here 2 PCs on Win7, and 2 PCs on XP on the same workgroup called mshome. When 1 xp PC stops being able to access a shared HDD on a win7 PC, you can rest assured the other xp PC (my BOXEE media centre) stops accessing the win7 shared HDD also.

I have everything set to least amount of protection you can possibly have (to the point where any linux hacker could have better access to my network than I do), and still I lose connectivity to my shared drives for seemingly no reason.

I agree MS are avoiding providing a solution to this one to persuade upgrades to win7.

I haven't tried the registry hack above yet - might try that now.
chillywinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.