· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
CptCrunch
Golden Member

Angry Got into accident (t-boned), insurance company not wanting to pay

So, this hasn't been confirmed, but it appears the other party's insurance company is not wanting to pay on the claim (surprise surprise) because the car wasn't covered, even though the driver was.

Alright - backstory: I basically got t-boned while driving down a side street. Got a police report, and after a week of fighting, finally got the guy's real name and driver's license number, and finally found his insurance information.

So I filed a claim, and heres what happened: The accident was on 10/28/2009 and the asshat didn't get insurance on the vehicle until 11/02/2009. Now granted, he was "insured" under his wife's policy, but the vehicle was not. Apparently he bought the car the day he hit me, and he neglected to get insurance on it until he had to go to court (2 citations, driving on a suspended license and failure to clear cross traffic when emerging from a driveway).

So, the insurance company is not wanting to pay (no final decision yet) because the vehicle wasn't insured, even though he was. Any suggestions on how to fight this with their insurance company if they wont pay or what the laws are in Ohio (I live in Kentucky, he lives in Ohio, accident occurred in Ohio) regarding this sort of thing.

I was always under the understanding (insurance agents correct me) that if I have insurance, I'm covered no matter what vehicle I drive. Now, I understand I can file this with my insurance company and they can duke it out with the other guy's, but I dont want a claim on a policy that is only 2 weeks old (1 week at time of accident), which may raise my rates if I decide to switch companies.

Cliffs:
Got t-boned
Guy didn't get insurance on the vehicle until court date 5 days later
Guy was insured when he hit me
Insurance company doesn't want to cover claim because the car wasn't insured (not final)
CptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
JoPh
Diamond Member

?
Old 11-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Fmr12B
Diamond Member

Let your insurance Company handle this.

Stay the F out of it and let them do the job you pay them every month for.
Fmr12B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
TwiceOver
Lifer

Can't even drive off the lot here without insurance (paid in full or not). I'd say hand it over to your insurance, that is what they are for.

I.T. Technician n. The only person under the boss' desk not looking for a raise.
TwiceOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
DrunkenSano
Platinum Member

Unless you're a lawyer, don't do anything except give your Insurance Company the data they request from you. If you want to sue the other guy, let your lawyer handle everything.
DrunkenSano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Caecus Veritas

yes, claim this through your insurance first and have them deal with it. at least in ca, they can't raise your existing policy's premium because of this as it doesn't count against you.
Caecus Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
techs
Lifer

The real solution is more effective government regulation of insurance companies.

Many years ago insurance companies routinely screwed their customers.
Which is why every state now regulates the insurance industry.
Push for an initial level arbitration plan that would let you the insurance holder explain your case to an impartial arbiter. That would mean you wouldn't have to pay a lawyer, and it would resolve many of your types of issues more quickly and cheaply.

btw push for non binding arbitration. If the insurance company loses yet doesn't pay, you can much easier get a lawyer since its on record they lost. Plus the evidence they have to present can be used against them in court.
Under these types of government regulation if the insurance company loses in arbitration yet takes it to court they must reimburse your lawyers fees so you get the full amount. Plus they can then be held responsible for damages for not paying the claim promptly.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
Fritzo
Lifer

That's what lawyers are for dude. Get one. They'll only get paid if you win, and they usually get you a few bucks more than you would normally get.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
Nik
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzo View Post
That's what lawyers are for dude. Get one. They'll only get paid if you win, and they usually get you a few bucks more than you would normally get.
Bolded is arbitrary, can/will change depending on the lawyer.
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Saint Nick
Lifer

So its safe to say your car got captain crunched?
Old 11-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
Nik
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by om3gawave View Post
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
M0oG0oGaiPan
Diamond Member

let your insurance company sue him.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #13
alkemyst
No Lifer

looks at OP's username and ponders.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
CptCrunch
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by om3gawave View Post
heh

It wasn't a bad accident, only $2000 in damage, because it was a low speed collision. I'm following up with my insurance agent and getting him involved. I told him about the accident after it happened, but didn't file a claim just yet.

It was interesting, after talking to the insurance adjuster from his insurance company, she was refusing to take responsibility even after seeing the police report that placed him solely at fault. Funny fuckers they are
CptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
Redfraggle
Platinum Member

I didn't know any state would let a customer take a car off the lot without insurance. I know that NC does not, as I used to sell cars in this state. Unless you were at fault (and I doubt it from what you've said), file it through your insurance company. They won't raise your rates for an accident that wasn't your fault (usually), especially if you had a clean record previously. This situation is why you have an insurance company. You are not going to win against his company, but your company will have clout to do something about it.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #16
LTC8K6
Lifer

He had liability insurance correct? So I don't see the problem. He had insurance for the accident and that company should be paying. I'd just tell your insurance company everything and let them handle it.

After all, liability insurance is all you need to drive legally.

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
Redfraggle
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunch View Post
heh

It wasn't a bad accident, only $2000 in damage, because it was a low speed collision. I'm following up with my insurance agent and getting him involved. I told him about the accident after it happened, but didn't file a claim just yet.

It was interesting, after talking to the insurance adjuster from his insurance company, she was refusing to take responsibility even after seeing the police report that placed him solely at fault. Funny fuckers they are
That isn't surprising. Admitting fault means them having to pay right away. Since they insured him and not the car (as I understand from the story), they are going to try to not pay out money.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #18
MotF Bane
Banned

You pay your insurance company to deal with this shit. Give them whatever information they ask for, and let them take care of it.
MotF Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #19
JDub02
Diamond Member

seriously, what everyone else said ... you call your insurance company and they give you $$. then they go after the other guy and his insurance company. they have lots of lawyers who are very interested in collecting.
JDub02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #20
jupiter57
Diamond Member

It is a common misconception that so long as a person has insurance on any vehicle, they are covered under that policy whatever they are driving.
This is not true (at least in KY), each individual vehicle must be insured.
If he was driving an uninsured vehicle, you either let your insurance co. go after him (unlikely), or lawyer up.
Also we have bacon.
jupiter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #21
mugs
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techs View Post
The real solution is more effective government regulation of insurance companies.

Many years ago insurance companies routinely screwed their customers.
Which is why every state now regulates the insurance industry.
Push for an initial level arbitration plan that would let you the insurance holder explain your case to an impartial arbiter. That would mean you wouldn't have to pay a lawyer, and it would resolve many of your types of issues more quickly and cheaply.

btw push for non binding arbitration. If the insurance company loses yet doesn't pay, you can much easier get a lawyer since its on record they lost. Plus the evidence they have to present can be used against them in court.
Under these types of government regulation if the insurance company loses in arbitration yet takes it to court they must reimburse your lawyers fees so you get the full amount. Plus they can then be held responsible for damages for not paying the claim promptly.
Do you ever post anything in OT that is not about politics? I know you know we have a Politics forum here, because you post in it. The reason that forum exists is to keep politics separate from Off Topic. Posts about politics are unwanted here. Please go back to P&N.

"Giants are the luckiest team I've ever seen in my entire life" - Reckoner; Super Bowl XLVI
mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #22
caspur

*Insurance follows the car. You don't need an insurance agent to tell you that.

*CaptCrunch is a tard for not telling the whole story.

*Police do not determine liability.

*Lawyer for a 2k PD claim? You think a lawyer will actually take that? Not many lawyers here apparently.
caspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #23
oldsmoboat
Elite Member

OP, do you have insurance?
oldsmoboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #24
Kev
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunch View Post
So, this hasn't been confirmed, but it appears the other party's insurance company is not wanting to pay on the claim (surprise surprise) because the car wasn't covered, even though the driver was.

Alright - backstory: I basically got t-boned while driving down a side street. Got a police report, and after a week of fighting, finally got the guy's real name and driver's license number, and finally found his insurance information.

So I filed a claim, and heres what happened: The accident was on 10/28/2009 and the asshat didn't get insurance on the vehicle until 11/02/2009. Now granted, he was "insured" under his wife's policy, but the vehicle was not. Apparently he bought the car the day he hit me, and he neglected to get insurance on it until he had to go to court (2 citations, driving on a suspended license and failure to clear cross traffic when emerging from a driveway).

So, the insurance company is not wanting to pay (no final decision yet) because the vehicle wasn't insured, even though he was. Any suggestions on how to fight this with their insurance company if they wont pay or what the laws are in Ohio (I live in Kentucky, he lives in Ohio, accident occurred in Ohio) regarding this sort of thing.

I was always under the understanding (insurance agents correct me) that if I have insurance, I'm covered no matter what vehicle I drive. Now, I understand I can file this with my insurance company and they can duke it out with the other guy's, but I dont want a claim on a policy that is only 2 weeks old (1 week at time of accident), which may raise my rates if I decide to switch companies.

Cliffs:
Got t-boned
Guy didn't get insurance on the vehicle until court date 5 days later
Guy was insured when he hit me
Insurance company doesn't want to cover claim because the car wasn't insured (not final)
I had an accident where the other party was at fault. They only had minimum coverage which was not enough to cover the damages. I just let geico handle it. They try to go after the driver himself, and that didn't work so they ended up paying the difference. My rates never went up. In fact they went down slightly.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #25
edro
Lifer

If their insurance won't cover it, you go through your insurance.
Your insurance will pay, but you will probably have to pay your deductible.
You can get repairs done at a cheaper place that will cover your deductible.

Tags
car accident, insurance