· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
hans030390
Diamond Member

Default Uncomfortable feeling/slightly nauseous after eating

Sorry if my info is a bit vague, but what I'm asking isn't for myself. My girlfriend has lately been noticing that she gets an uncomfortable or almost slightly nauseous sort of feeling after she eats. She told me she wasn't sure if it happened every time she ate...and she did say sometimes she tries to just ignore it. When I've been around her, it's never gotten to any point where she's really felt like she had to use the bathroom or vomit, so it's likely just not any sort of major sick feeling she has.

She isn't sure if certain types of foods do it or not. She's going to try watching her diet to see if that either changes anything or shows what might be causing it. She isn't active, really, but isn't overweight or anything (she's 6 ft tall, has gain some weight in the past few months...mostly a bit on her belly and thighs. She's not stick skinny or anything, but definitely not to the point of being chubby by any means). She is hypoglycemic, but has been for a while. This "issue" seems to have come about within the past few months (I'd say it became noticeable in the April-May time area).

She did used to be active before she started noticing it, but I also think I remember noticing it while she was still active (which ended at the end of April, so it likely started early/mid April). I could be wrong, though. I'm just guessing. Being active (or lack of currently) may have something to do with it. She's planning on working out during college this fall.

I've done some quick Google searches, but haven't found a whole lot. She has some other medical issues (nothing horrible or worth noting), so her parents believe she's full of crap (or so she states...don't get too into that, her parents are generally really good to her) and has no real reason to see a doctor (they think). So, I thought I'd do some research and at least try to figure out what might be causing it. Thought I'd ask here as well.

Like I said, it may be a diet or exercise kind of issue...I suppose we'll see within a few months if it is. But, I'm still looking for suggestions. Any ideas?
"What the heck are you gonna do if you're on a picnic and have an ice cream, and the ants crawl on the ice cream? What are you gonna do? You're gonna eat the ants, because it's made out of protein. For your health!" - Dr. Steve Brule
hans030390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
BlackTigers
Diamond Member

Probably kind of obvious, but is she a fast eater?

I ask because when I eat too fast, my stomach becomes upset for a few hours.
BlackTigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
HardcoreRomantic

I have some anxiety issues, and whenever they get particularly bad, it's really hard for me to eat (get that nauseous feeling). The last time it got really bad, I went almost a week with only water and maybe some grapes at some point during the day. Everything else, even the smell of most foods, would make me feel really nauseous. Of course, I thought I was pregnant, which freaked me out even more, making it even harder to eat. When I finally calmed down, I got my appetite back. Has she been stressed more than normal lately?
HardcoreRomantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
Muse
Lifer

Could be a number of things, but I'd guess that she's experiencing acid reflux. I had the same problem for a number of months a couple of years ago or so. Acid reflux is associated in people's minds with heartburn but very very often it is not experienced as heartburn but as nausea or a vague feeling of unease or slight queasiness after eating. It can be quite uncomfortable. That's what I was experiencing a whole lot. I talked to the pharmacist at my local drug store and he unhesitatingly advocated buying OTC Prilosec, which is a brand name for omeprazole. There are other similar drugs OTC, and you see them advertised a lot on TV. The procedure for taking them is to take them for a month or so, IIRC, and then stop. I found this moderately effective.

When I saw my doctor, he prescribed omeprazole (which is the same thing). I found a cheap source online, a lot cheaper than getting it through my HMO's pharmacy. I still have some in the freezer, but I don't need it these days. I grew out of it. In my opinion, it was caused by anxiety.

Exercise is something I always do. However, I'd advocate that your girlfriend incorporate exercise into her lifestyle, because it will tend to alleviate anxiety, reduce stress, set in motion natural physical processes that will tend to alleviate the problem, assuming that it's what I think it is. Also, she should try to eliminate stress in whatever ways is necessary. HTH.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
hans030390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: BlackTigers
Probably kind of obvious, but is she a fast eater?

I ask because when I eat too fast, my stomach becomes upset for a few hours.
Nope. I'm the fast eater. She always gets at me about eating to fast, yet she's the one having the problems. Hm...

Like I said, it's not me personally, so I can't say how often or how bad it actually is. It could actually be serious and getting progressively worse for all I know. I revised my Google search and am coming up with some results/possibilities/solutions:

- Try drinking less soda/caffeine and more water
- Could be an ulcer(s)
- Gallbladder issue
- Digestive disorder (ulcerative colitis, Chron's disease)
- Endometriosis (which might explain some of her other issues too...I could be wrong, but she mentioned to me earlier that she may have this or will likely develop it. Was this it? I can't say for sure...)
- IBS
- Ovarian cyst (maybe it was this she mentioned...? This also fits multiple of her issues)
- Celiac Disease
"What the heck are you gonna do if you're on a picnic and have an ice cream, and the ants crawl on the ice cream? What are you gonna do? You're gonna eat the ants, because it's made out of protein. For your health!" - Dr. Steve Brule
Old 07-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
hans030390
Diamond Member

Stress and anxiety shouldn't be much of an issue...stress is more likely, though, than anxiety. She's generally never very stressed, though. Thanks for the suggestions.

And yeah, I figured exercise may help.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
SociallyChallenged
Elite

Check out Mesenteric Ischemia. My grandma had some similar symptoms and that's what she has. It varies in degrees, but she should definitely go to the doctor if those symptoms line up with her's.
I am a doctor of physical therapy. Information I provide is based on subjective report alone. This frequently results in speculation and, as a result, may not always be accurate. Thus I am not liable for any action taken based on information provided.

Now offering physical therapy consultation services via Skype, e-mail, and phone. Please PM me for details.
SociallyChallenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #8
hans030390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: SociallyChallenged
Check out Mesenteric Ischemia. My grandma had some similar symptoms and that's what she has. It varies in degrees, but she should definitely go to the doctor if those symptoms line up with her's.
Ok, I'll look into that as well. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
hans030390
Diamond Member

She talked to her mom today about this, and her mom told her she probably has a 90% chance of having/getting Endometriosis (her mom and some aunts have had it, plus she has the symptoms)...that and she may be susceptible to ovarian cysts. Her mom thinks her issues may be related to her birth control pills (Yaz), so she might try switching to something else. And she also mentioned something about bacteria, eating better, exercising, and yogurt...but I didn't quite catch that.