· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
imported_KuJaX
Platinum Member

Default Network printer, asking for username and password

This is so strange and i've never seen it setup like this before. I got a call from a friend that needed help printing from one computer to the printer that is hooked up via USB to another computer. They are networked together, so I figured I was in for a 30 second add network printer task.

I go in there and add the network printer on the computer02 by adding printer > network printer > inputting the computer01's ip address and then printer name. It then prompted me for a username and password. I couldn't get past this and it wouldn't let me print on the printer connected to computer01.

I then go over to the computer01, right click on that specific printer > properties, it was shared properly as far as the sharing tab goes, but then I noticed a security tab that was setup. I couldn't add any users or username/passwords in here as it would only let me add local users on the local machine only (no network users).

Now I don't believe it is setup like that for any specific reason. I uninstalled the printer drivers on computer01 and reinstalled them, and the same security settings were there. Any help on how I can get around this? Or possibly adding a username and password for computer02 to use when it tries to connect to computer01's printer?
imported_KuJaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:12 AM   #2
MarkLuvsCS

It should be. I have a printer hooked up to my main via USB and other computers on the network print to it all the time and i never notice it on my system (aside from my laser printer turning on next to me )

First i would Share the printer: Open Control Panel > Printers > Right-click on the printer > Sharing & Security

After you do that goto your second computer u want able to access the printer. Goto the Control Panel > Printers > Add Printer - Choose Network Attached Printer, It should have an option to browse the workgroup which will show you your printer that you just shared from your first computer.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
imported_KuJaX
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MarkLuvsCS
It should be. I have a printer hooked up to my main via USB and other computers on the network print to it all the time and i never notice it on my system (aside from my laser printer turning on next to me )

First i would Share the printer: Open Control Panel > Printers > Right-click on the printer > Sharing & Security

After you do that goto your second computer u want able to access the printer. Goto the Control Panel > Printers > Add Printer - Choose Network Attached Printer, It should have an option to browse the workgroup which will show you your printer that you just shared from your first computer.
Right, this is the "30 second add network printer task" that I was expecting. However, when I went to browse the network for printers, I could see computer01, double click on that, and no printer showed up. However, there was still a plus sign left of computer01 name.

That is why I had to input it in manually (ip address) rather than the Windows network printer "browse" feature.

Any other ideas? It is like there is a security lock on the sharing on computer01.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
imported_KuJaX
Platinum Member

Figured it out thanks. Had to turn "Use Simple File Sharing" to on