· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-09-2006, 09:35 AM   #1
slimbim

Default Safe to live next to a huge dish??

I looked at an apartment and like it so considering it. While I was looking at the apartment, however, I look outside the bedroom window, and there are like 2 of those huge satellite dish things in the back like right outside the windows.

Is it safe to live next to these things? or am I going to grow another ear or something? I'm thinking they wouldn't have put it there in the first place if it wasn't safe... but...
Old 03-09-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
Safeway
Lifer

No, not an ear.

A tail.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
conjur
No Lifer

Uh....satellite dishes aren't transmitters. They're antennae. They only pick up signals already floating around out there.

Just don't live under high-tension power lines. Too much RF probably isn't good.
conjur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
Looney
Lifer

Um yeah, it's safe. A dish isn't even powered or anything, it just receives signal.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen Roberts

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." - M. Facklam
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
tweakmm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: conjur
Just don't live under high-tension power lines. Too much RF probably isn't good.
Yeah, or cell towers.
tweakmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #6
Ime
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: slimbim
I looked at an apartment and like it so considering it. While I was looking at the apartment, however, I look outside the bedroom window, and there are like 2 of those huge satellite dish things in the back like right outside the windows.

Is it safe to live next to these things? or am I going to grow another ear or something? I'm thinking they wouldn't have put it there in the first place if it wasn't safe... but...
What the apartment manager didn't tell you is the previous renter died from a brain tumor! :Q
Ime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
l Xes l
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ime
Quote:
Originally posted by: slimbim

What the apartment manager didn't tell you is the previous renter died from a brain tumor! :Q

That's why he getting the first three months for free!
l Xes l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:51 AM   #8
Amused
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: tweakmm
Quote:
Yeah, or cell towers.
Amazing how myths grow...

Join Now!!!

Everything I post is, by default, NSFW. There's your warning! Now stop wasting your boss' money and get back to work!
Amused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #9
Krazefinn

I dunno about how large a "dish" can be and still be a dish. However, I do live WITH a lithe, SMALL dish!!

ughh nvr mind!
Krazefinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #10
Bassyhead
Diamond Member

You'll be fine, OP
Bassyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:56 AM   #11
tweakmm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Amused
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, or cell towers.
I know it may be overblown, but I refuse to believe that the same microwave waves that cook my burrito in my kitchen are 100% safe flying above my head.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #12
Rubycon
Madame President

Quote:
Originally posted by: Looney
Um yeah, it's safe. A dish isn't even powered or anything, it just receives signal.

Not all are receivers. Text

Quote:

I know it may be overblown, but I refuse to believe that the same microwave waves that cook my burrito in my kitchen are 100% safe flying above my head.
Relax. The energy density of a wireless card is like 0.00000001% of what your lunch experiences in the microwave oven cavity. Your brain and testicles are fine.
Rubycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #13
sao123
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, or cell towers.

(un)fortunately for you, they are the same waves you encounter when you watch tv, when you have an xray, go tanning, use a cellphone or use the toaster oven/hairdryer. Its all EM radiation.

fortunately the difference between the waves in your microwave, and the ones for tv, radio and communication, as well as light that you see, the uv light that tans your skin, and the orange glow emitted from your toaster oven... is the wavelength is different.
The entire spectrum.

Every point in the universe contains some level of radiation, even where your sitting right now... the difference is how much energy is contained in that radiation determines how dangerous it can be to you.

Originally posted by: Dank69
It's (expletive deleted) easy. Throw seeds on the ground. Plants sprout. Pick hamburgers. Repeat.
sao123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:12 AM   #14
tweakmm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: sao123
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, or cell towers.

(un)fortunately for you, they are the same waves you encounter when you watch tv, when you have an xray, go tanning, use a cellphone or use the toaster oven/hairdryer. Its all EM radiation.

fortunately the difference between the waves in your microwave, and the ones for tv, radio and communication, as well as light that you see, the uv light that tans your skin, and the orange glow emitted from your toaster oven... is the wavelength is different.
The entire spectrum.

Every point in the universe contains some level of radiation, even where your sitting right now... the difference is how much energy is contained in that radiation determines how dangerous it can be to you.
I'm well aware of the fact that living in a civilized society we're constantly surrounded by EM radiation from many sources. I know it's unfair to single out cell towers, but I think if you live beside one that'll be a big source of exposure.
It is fair to assume that the energy levels of the radiation from one of those super-connecter microwave cell towers are a tad higher than me looking into my toaster to see how my toast is coming along?
Old 03-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #15
FoBoT
Super Moderator

yes, they are directional
Old 03-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #16
sao123
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, or cell towers.

The entire spectrum.

I'm well aware of the fact that living in a civilized society we're constantly surrounded by EM radiation from many sources. I know it's unfair to single out cell towers, but I think if you live beside one that'll be a big source of exposure.
It is fair to assume that the energy levels of the radiation from one of those super-connecter microwave cell towers are a tad higher than me looking into my toaster to see how my toast is coming along?

that would be incorrect... if you read the diagram correctly you would know that infrared waves (your toaster) have more energy that either your microwaves or your cell phone/amfm radios/tv waves

Originally posted by: Dank69
It's (expletive deleted) easy. Throw seeds on the ground. Plants sprout. Pick hamburgers. Repeat.
sao123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #17
Savij
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, or cell towers.

The entire spectrum.

That damn S.U.N. Always blasting us with EM radiation. I mean I can't look anywhere without seeing its radiation bouncing, and radiating and doing all those nasty things EM waves do. It's so bad that you can feel your skin and body heating up every time you're exposed to it. Hell, by itself, the S.U.N.'s radiation causes changes to our weather and climate. I propose we start a petition to block its radiation from getting to us...permanently. No more S.U.N. radiation. Then we can all live the rest of our lives without fear of growing extra eyes, ears, and feet.
Savij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #18
shortylickens
No Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, or cell towers.
Does anybody here know that if you stand outside on a cloudy day you get radiated with more RF from the sun, than living next to a cell tower your whole life?

shortylickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:16 PM   #19
tweakmm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Savij
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, or cell towers.

The entire spectrum.

That damn S.U.N. Always blasting us with EM radiation. I mean I can't look anywhere without seeing its radiation bouncing, and radiating and doing all those nasty things EM waves do. It's so bad that you can feel your skin and body heating up every time you're exposed to it. Hell, by itself, the S.U.N.'s radiation causes changes to our weather and climate. I propose we start a petition to block its radiation from getting to us...permanently. No more S.U.N. radiation. Then we can all live the rest of our lives without fear of growing extra eyes, ears, and feet.
Ok, so this is my point exactly. If one stays outside too long too often without proper shielding(sun block) one's chances of getting cancer are greatly increased. How is cell tower radiation any different?
I would very much like to see a reliable source for the breakup of what exposes you to what percent of one's total RF exposure.
Quote:
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Does anybody here know that if you stand outside on a cloudy day you get radiated with more RF from the sun, than living next to a cell tower your whole life?
Very interesting, any links to back this up?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:40 PM   #20
Bassyhead
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
It's well known that a significant amount of ionizing radiation exposure comes from the sun. That's one reason why people get skin cancer. Furthermore, a cell tower's radiation is non-ionizing so they're not really comparable. The antennae of a cell tower are safe even from a few feet away. One such link obtained from Google among dozens: http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-colle...fact-sheets/bio-effects-radiation.html

Bassyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #21
BIGk

Quote:
Originally posted by: Safeway
No, not an ear.

A tail.

not a tail. another leg
BIGk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #22
mchammer
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bassyhead
Quote:
Quote:
It's well known that a significant amount of ionizing radiation exposure comes from the sun. That's one reason why people get skin cancer. Furthermore, a cell tower's radiation is non-ionizing so they're not really comparable. The antennae of a cell tower are safe even from a few feet away. One such link obtained from Google among dozens: http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-colle...fact-sheets/bio-effects-radiation.html
A few feet away? I know that non-ionizing radiation can damage the cornea of the eye because it cannot coll itself well. Also, the radiation in a microwave is non-ionizing, and it cooks the food petty good.

AnandTech Moderator
mchammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:53 PM   #23
daveshel
Diamond Member

I think it all depends on what they're cooking in it.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #24
God On Alcohol

put alluminum foil all over sattelites and demand cash to have the foil removed

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=44220
God On Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #25
Jeff7
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: MS Dawn

Relax. The energy density of a wireless card is like 0.00000001% of what your lunch experiences in the microwave oven cavity. Your brain and testicles are fine.
One time, an earwig managed to get into the microwave. So I turned it on. Full minute. It survived and didn't seem to care. It just kept running all over the inside of the thing like nothing happened. Maybe it just didn't get hit?

Quote:
That damn S.U.N. Always blasting us with EM radiation. I mean I can't look anywhere without seeing its radiation bouncing, and radiating and doing all those nasty things EM waves do. It's so bad that you can feel your skin and body heating up every time you're exposed to it. Hell, by itself, the S.U.N.'s radiation causes changes to our weather and climate. I propose we start a petition to block its radiation from getting to us...permanently. No more S.U.N. radiation. Then we can all live the rest of our lives without fear of growing extra eyes, ears, and feet
And that stuff's been proven to cause skin cancer and vision damage.