· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
MX2
Lifer

Default Ambien = DUI?

Text

Quote:
In Washington state, for example, officials counted 78 impaired-driving arrests in which Ambien was a factor last year, up from 56 in 2004. Some of Washington's zombie-like drivers said they took the sleeping pill while behind the wheel so that it would kick in by bedtime.
MX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
Mermaidman
Diamond Member

Default Ambien = DUI?

That's a good point, but many drugs cause drowsiness.
e.g. Benadryl

What about driving while tired? That would be hard to enforce.
Mermaidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
BigJ
Lifer

Default Ambien = DUI?

In NY, that would get you DWAI-drug.

Do people not read the directions or warnings on medicines they take?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:50 PM   #4
DigDug
Diamond Member

Default Ambien = DUI?

Ambien is far too strong of a mind alterant to be prescirbed and treated the way it is. It's an example of the pharmaceutical maker being very successful in avoiding its scheduling, when its clearly as powerful as any controlled substance out there. For god's sake, codeine is a controlled substance but Ambien isn't?

There is a *ton* of recreational ambien abuse.
Sward666: Your story has grown tiresome.
DigDug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
LikeLinus
Diamond Member

Default Ambien = DUI?

DWI actually, not a DUI (atleast here in TN).
LikeLinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:51 PM   #6
Gooberlx2
Lifer

Default Ambien = DUI?

Without reading the article, but instead speaking from experience on exactly this issue.....yes, Ambien damn well better = DUI.
Gooberlx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
Gooberlx2
Lifer

Default Ambien = DUI?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
e.g. Benadryl

Actually driving while tired, to the point of falling asleep, does fall under reckless driving.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #8
TySnyder

Default Ambien = DUI?

Ambien has some crazy effects on me. I would rather risk driving after a case of beer than a 10mg ambien.
TySnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #9
Gooberlx2
Lifer

Default Ambien = DUI?

Quote:
...sometimes involving drivers who don't even remember getting behind the wheel,...
One thing about Ambien, that some people don't realize, is that it's basically pharmaceutical grade rohypnol with stuff added to make it a sleeping pill. This is one reason why, if you can force yourself to stay awake on Ambien, it can turn into a pretty dangerous party drug, lack of memory, etc...It's not street roofies, but not far off either.

[edit] Dangit I hate when I hit quote instead of edit....forum reflexes I guess.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #10
Gooberlx2
Lifer

Default Ambien = DUI?

Quote:
Originally posted by: TySnyder
Ambien has some crazy effects on me. I would rather risk driving after a case of beer than a 10mg ambien.
Same here, that stuff will knock me out in 15 minutes flat. I'll take some when I'm very stressed and my mind just won't shut down.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #11
Mermaidman
Diamond Member

Default Ambien = DUI?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
Quote:
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
e.g. Benadryl

Actually driving while tired, to the point of falling asleep, does fall under reckless driving.
But it'll be hard to prove, and harder to prevent. If an extremely tired driver gets pulled over, I'd bet that he would be instantly wide awake, at least for the duration of the traffic stop.
Mermaidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:09 PM   #12
GagHalfrunt
Lifer

Default Ambien = DUI?

Ambien is indeed some pretty serious stuff. I *might* be able to fight off the effects of an Ambien for an hour or two, but I certainly would not be sharp and would likely be a grave danger to myself and everyone else on the road. It damn well isn't like Benadryl or NyQuil or OTC meds that can cause drowsiness, it's many orders of magnitude worse.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.." - Thomas Paine The Age of Reason

http://www.golfbiztalk.com
GagHalfrunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:09 PM   #13
tweakmm
Lifer

Default Ambien = DUI?

Quote:
Quote:
...sometimes involving drivers who don't even remember getting behind the wheel,...
One thing about Ambien, that some people don't realize, is that it's basically pharmaceutical grade rohypnol with stuff added to make it a sleeping pill. This is one reason why, if you can force yourself to stay awake on Ambien, it can turn into a pretty dangerous party drug, lack of memory, etc...It's not street roofies, but not far off either.
Pharmaceutical rohypnol? Dude, rohypnol is pharmaceutical. And while ambien is close to other benzodiazepines, it it not just "something added" it's a more selective chemical only causing sedation without muscle relaxation.
tweakmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:12 PM   #14
Pepsei
Lifer

Default Ambien = DUI?

ambien is serious stuff for sure. if i have full stomach, it may not kick in for awhile. but my wife could rape me and i wouldn't even remember. actually, probbly 50/50 like dreams.
Pepsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #15
Gooberlx2
Lifer

Default Ambien = DUI?

Quote:
Originally posted by: tweakmm
Quote:
Quote:
Pharmaceutical rohypnol? Dude, rohypnol is pharmaceutical. And while ambien is close to other benzodiazepines, it it not just "something added" it's a more selective chemical only causing sedation without muscle relaxation.
Rohypnol is pharmaceutical in the sense that it belongs to the benzodiazapine family of drugs, but it's not approved for sale in the States. So, if one can get a prescription, it's legal and cheaper to get Ambien, which can end up being used as a date rape drug. Rohypnol (in the roofie date-rape/party drug sense) is all street in the US.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. True, Ambien isn't in the same exact drug class as rohypnol (though it's still a hypnotic/sedative), and it's a more involved thing than "adding stuff" to make it a sleeping pill, but details aren't important. It has similar effects to rohypnol, which was the point I was trying to make.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:31 PM   #16
Cobalt
Diamond Member

Default Ambien = DUI?

If you smoke a bowl before taking ambien it gives you an insane drunken feeling also. [disclaimer]I don't do that, nor should you.[/disclaimer]
Old 03-08-2006, 10:40 PM   #17
Squisher
Lifer

Default Ambien = DUI?

Notice the article states "where ambien was a factor." Chances are these people were drinking or doing other drugs too.

Still, it would be stupid to do it while driving.

A couple of goofs.
Squisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:19 PM   #18
UglyCasanova
Lifer

Default Ambien = DUI?

Man ambien is not as hardcore as people make it out to be. I've been prescribed it before, and I've done everything under the sun, and by no means does ambien need to be scheduled. There may be a lot of recreational ambien usage, but there is a lot of recreational everything usage. I don't think driving while taking it is very smart because the stuff does make you sleepy, but I wouldn't recommend driving sleepy anyways.
UglyCasanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:21 PM   #19
Mill
Lifer

Default Ambien = DUI?

Ambien's effects wear off very quickly even with high doses.
Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:21 PM   #20
Pepsei
Lifer

Default Ambien = DUI?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mill
Ambien's effects wear off very quickly even with high doses.
right, about 4-5 hours i think? which makes it a good drug, so you don't feel tire during the day.

Pepsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #21
Krazefinn

Default Ambien = DUI?

The new 12.5Ambien CR (continous release) is better in that it does not get absorbed immdiately, which is where drugs get their "kick" and increases abuse potential. True benzo's like xanex hit extremely fast, reinforcing the sudden effect on central nervous system, as compared to ativan, which is absorbed slower and doesnt result in quite the same immediate and peak serum level of Xanex. Another sedative/hypnotic, klonopin, has an even "safer" profile, although its not a true benzo. (Ambien btw is not either, quite unrelated to the narcotic sceduleIII's above). However, restoril (temazepam) is very fast acting....but all of these drugs develop tolerance if used daily or overused. Ambien CAN be prescribed for long-term use, and actually is considered "safe" and not too high on the abuse-potential DEA list. The benzo's can be problematic both for the person abusing going through withdrawal (can be NASTY) and for the patient taking it under prescription, due to habituation and tolerance.

Using any of them with alcohol, which also is a CNS depressant, greatly potentiates the effects, and can produce unpredictable results. Any drug listing on the bottle the warning to "avoid driving/operating machinery" CAN result in impaired driving prosecution, and serum levels are a rather easy matter to quantify. And since there is no "blood level limit" like the 0.08 or 0,1% given alcohol, ANY detected level can result in prosecution. If you have a prescription for it, be very careful driving because the legal threshold determining impairment is nonexistent. Same is true for the opiod analgaesics. For instance, (hopefully not) for sake of argument lets consider a person driving who has taken legally prescribed hydrocodone, strikes and kills a pedestrian, motorcyclist, or other motorist/passsenger. Even if driver didn't feel impaired, and actually may not present impaired, he could face reckless endangerment or even manslaughter ocharges. Prescribing physician may be sanctioned as well, depending on other circumstances, but because the drug company printed the warning label they usually do not share liability (YMMV, their are extenuating factors). Many people do not realize there is no "safe limit" to these drugs as far as prosecution for DUI/DWI whatever the language.
You've been forewarned!
Krazefinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:04 PM   #22
Slacker
Diamond Member

Default Ambien = DUI?

Hmm............. PUI? (posting under the influence) sleep posting, could explain a LOT, could also be a good defense if you cross that line
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote