· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #1
Dizway

Default Has anyone ever worked with Teksystems?

I applied for a permanent position on careerbuilder posted by a Teksystems recruiter. He promptly replied (to my surprise) and offered to meet with me. Instead of going to their office like I'm used to (with other companies), we're meeting at a restaurant. Is this normal? I'm in the LA area.
Dizway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:33 AM   #2
d33pt
Diamond Member

yeah tek is big on taking their guys out to lunch. when i worked for them, they came and took me out to lunch once a month or so. good lunches too. take advantage of the lunch at least.

as a company though, they don't pay too well, but they are a pretty big company and have a lot of contracts.
d33pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:16 AM   #3
torpid
Lifer

Tek is kind of a cattle ranch type company. You are just a way of making money for them and they will treat you such. You should try to get what you want long term from them up front, otherwise they will likely ignore you (when you request it later). That was my experience with them.

That said, like the above poster mentioned they do have a lot of inroads to big companies.
torpid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
Descartes
Lifer

As others have said, it's very normal. I don't think I've interacted with a Tek person beyond the lunch/dinner table.

They are "a cattle ranch type company" as torpid said. Make sure you get every dollar you deserve, because they will be trying hard on their end to maximize their profits. That is the basis of their company after all, but just don't be under the impression that they actually care about you when they treat you to a few lunches.

Descartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
yowolabi
Diamond Member

Ditto to what everyone above said.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #6
Meractik
Golden Member

worked for them for a year and im still working for them now but i am going into the navy, what everyone above said is absolutely 100% the truth, get what you want at the beginning, or else they try to walk on you be a bully!
BitFenix Shinobi Window Black Steel ATX-Mid Tower (80+ Rosewill 550W PSU)Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 Motherboard Rev 1.0, AMD Phenom II X6 1035T Processor - 2.8Ghz, 16 GB DDR-3 Memory, NVIDIA Zotac Geforce GT 520, Seagate 1TB Serial Hard Drive, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1, 32” VIORE High Definition Television, IBM Model M Keyboard (Part No. 52G9658), BELKIN N600 HD Wireless-N Router Model F7D3801 v1 (Running Tomato Shibby Firmware), 1.5 TB NAS
Meractik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
crownjules
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dizway
I applied for a permanent position on careerbuilder posted by a Teksystems recruiter. He promptly replied (to my surprise) and offered to meet with me. Instead of going to their office like I'm used to (with other companies), we're meeting at a restaurant. Is this normal? I'm in the LA area.
I'm currently a contractor for TEKSystems in Boston, have been for over a year now. They are a very good contracting firm, IMHO. I don't have experience with others, but here's what I get:

- Very competitive pay rates
- Medical, dental, optical, and life insurance

They say they have some online training courses, but I've never taken any. Of course, the biggest benefit you're missing is a 401k or other retirement package. You also don't get any sort of employee discounts from the company you're being contracted out to (at least I don't). Some of this is made up by the fact that as a contractor, you'll usually be paid more than someone of equal background/experience in the same position.

All in all, it's a good deal, and certainly better than not working.

i5-2500K | ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | EVGA GTX660 2GB | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1866 RAM | Antec 900 Mid tower | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | ASUS VG236HE / LG227W
crownjules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #8
rudder
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: d33pt
yeah tek is big on taking their guys out to lunch. when i worked for them, they came and took me out to lunch once a month or so. good lunches too. take advantage of the lunch at least.

as a company though, they don't pay too well, but they are a pretty big company and have a lot of contracts.
thats the reason they dont mind taking you out to lunch, because they will make $25 an hour off your work.
rudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
Dizway

This is a "direct placement" opportunity, doesn't that mean "non-contractor" work? I'm not too sure. Thanks for all the input guys, now it doesn't seem so weird.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #10
MrMaster
Golden Member

Quote:
This is a "direct placement" opportunity, doesn't that mean "non-contractor" work? I'm not too sure. Thanks for all the input guys, now it doesn't seem so weird.
Direct Placement usually means you will be working for tek systems for 90 days before you go on to the new company's payroll.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #11
spidey07
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: rudder
Quote:
Originally posted by: d33pt

thats the reason they dont mind taking you out to lunch, because they will make $25 an hour off your work.
they earn a lot more than that. typical bill rates are double to triple what you actually pay a contractor.
(")_(")
spidey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #12
SlowSpyder
Diamond Member

In the past I worked for TekSystems in the Chicago area. They were ok, nothing special, nothing wrong with them either. I got paid without a problem and they found positions in an average amount of time. I did find out that I was making $2 less an hour then a lot of others form other contracting companies were for the same position at the same company, though.
SlowSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:26 AM   #13
Dizway

Are there any risks? I've always been employeed by the employer... I'm currently employed right now with benifits and all. The only compelling reason for me to switch to this new opportunity (if I get it) is slighly better pay and larger role as a systems admin.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:44 AM   #14
EagleKeeper
Discussion Club Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MrMaster
Quote:
Direct Placement usually means you will be working for tek systems for 90 days before you go on to the new company's payroll.
Direct means that you go to the new employer immediately from Day 1.

Contract to hire may be that the agency pays you for a set period of time and then the client picks you up as an option.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #15
Dizway

This thread is so helpful, you guys rock.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #16
EagleKeeper
Discussion Club Moderator
Elite Member

Quote:
Are there any risks? I've always been employeed by the employer... I'm currently employed right now with benifits and all. The only compelling reason for me to switch to this new opportunity (if I get it) is slighly better pay and larger role as a systems admin.
Risk is that you are giving up one job for another unknown.
Have you actually talked to the end client?
Based on what you have described; Teksystems is just acting as a headhunter, not an employer of you.

Therrefore what are the benefits that the client(new employer) has available?

Old 03-03-2006, 11:53 AM   #17
Dizway

Quote:
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Quote:
Risk is that you are giving up one job for another unknown.
Have you actually talked to the end client?
Based on what you have described; Teksystems is just acting as a headhunter, not an employer of you.

Therrefore what are the benefits that the client(new employer) has available?
I'll find out Monday and will keep you (or anyone interested) posted.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #18
lokiju
Lifer

I've had most of my IT jobs placed by them and most have turned into permanent jobs.

They're pretty good but it really comes down to the person that you work with at finding you a job, some suck and some are good.

And yes meeting at a restaurant is very common for them.
PSN: l0k1ju
Come play some MW3! Just note ATOT in invite so I don't ignore.
lokiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #19
Dizway

Quote:
Originally posted by: lokiju
I've had most of my IT jobs placed by them and most have turned into permanent jobs.

They're pretty good but it really comes down to the person that you work with at finding you a job, some suck and some are good.

Do they pay, should I offer to pay?
Old 03-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #20
torpid
Lifer

They pay.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #21
lokiju
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: lokiju

Do they pay, should I offer to pay?
They pay, but it's still proper or polite to offer IMO.
PSN: l0k1ju
Come play some MW3! Just note ATOT in invite so I don't ignore.
lokiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #22
MaxDepth
Diamond Member

I am being pimped out by Tek right now. they lost their primary vendor status with IBM last year; now they are second tier (meaning another set of hands in your pie if you go with them to wokr at IBM)

I had to keep them on their toes about my pay rate - they kept on suggesting another figure after they would agree on my figure the day before (but then maybe all pimps do this too). Also, I've gone through 4 billing agents and three managers since I've been with them on this job (6 months) - turnover rate must be crazy or they are hiring people who cannot do the work
Old 03-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #23
Ime
Diamond Member

Funny, I just talked to several recruiters at Teksystems seeing if they can help me find a job in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia or the Raleigh area of NC.
Ime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #24
torpid
Lifer

Not only is turnover high, but I've seen whole offices close or merge with other branches of their cattle ranches (e.g. Maxim group).
Old 03-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #25
wyvrn
Lifer

Back in the day when I did tech support, yep. They found me a rather nice position that paid pretty well compared to average. I recommend them
wyvrn is offline   Reply With Quote