Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Merchandise and Shopping > Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #1
kki000

Default Slingbox $189 at Costco,normally $249, ends 2/26

Costco
OK, this is gonna sound like a frikin commercial but bear with me.
I just got this thing last night, paid 219+tax at jandr.
Friggin thing is amazing. Plug in yer set top box, tivo or whatever, plug into home network, yer tv is now anywhere you have a network connection.

The viewing app is great, initially was taken aback by the crappy quality, but the beta player upgrade is 10x better now. (Release only a few days ago)

All the initial reviews i read complained about PQ or remote codes not being included, but all those problems appear to be fixed. I just tried it over my office network, and its not as good as being on the home network, but its still better than any video stream you can buy. I have it connected to my directivo, so all of my recordings are in there. Time+Place shifting... Yes you can do this with other devices, and even rig yer own with a htpc and ir blaster and such, but this was so cheap and easy.

Normally id be kind of pissed if i got something and found it 30 bucks cheaper, but i dont even care. I have tv in the bathroom.

I am living the american dream, i can watch tv while i poop.

K
kki000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
acemcmac
Lifer

Default Slingbox $189 at Costco

I have been really curious about these things....

I have a SIIG Pro-DVR that I have been using to bring cable to my projector and I have to manually switch between my SIIG and my HT-PC but I'm getting really fed up with the tech support from SIIG regarding the perpetual resolution display.

I don't think this would serve my need any better than a motorola HD-DVR, but it's still really neat technology.
acemcmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
GeneValgene
Diamond Member

what kinda of upload speeds does it eat up

"I am not one to be suckered into that bottomless pit called Hot Deals. But THIS, oh man...this was the second coming of the Lord...but inside a server case...that's how hot this was." ~ MichaelD
GeneValgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
acemcmac
Lifer

acemcmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
schuang74

Quote:
Originally posted by: GeneValgene
what kinda of upload speeds does it eat up

Its variable depending on your connections. However I believe it maxes out at 1 Meg / Second over broadband internet (cable/ DSL). Internal LAN operation I am not too sure.

Anyhow I know a few guys who own one of these and it works really well. Picture quality is about the same as standard TV, and assuming you have a decent Broadband connection, you rarely ever get any interruptions.
schuang74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
QED
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: acemcmac

I don't think this would serve my need any better than a motorola HD-DVR, but it's still really neat technology.
Why would the Slingbox have to replace your DVR?

It's not meant to replace it... but to augment it. They perform seperate functions....

QED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:06 PM   #7
kki000

Quote:
Originally posted by: acemcmac
I have been really curious about these things....

I have a SIIG Pro-DVR that I have been using to bring cable to my projector and I have to manually switch between my SIIG and my HT-PC but I'm getting really fed up with the tech support from SIIG regarding the perpetual resolution display.

Its not a dvr, doesnt record at all. It can work with your dvr and send an SD signal over IP as well as control your box using a virtual remote.

It really augments the dvr well, i can not only watch tv, with the remote i can setup recordings remotely.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
osiris3mc
Golden Member

This sounds pretty awesome...can someone explain in layman's terms how it works in conjunction with your Tivo/ReplayTV? Sorry!
Old 02-22-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
QED
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: osiris3mc
This sounds pretty awesome...can someone explain in layman's terms how it works in conjunction with your Tivo/ReplayTV? Sorry!
I don't have one, so kki000 can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that your TIVO connects to the Slingbox, and then the Slingbox goes to the TV. Hence, Whatever is on screen with Tivo-- whether it is the program guide, a menu, or you are just watching a show-- you can see remotely.

The Slingbox also comes with an IR blaster type device which can send out the same IR codes that your regular cable box/Tive remote can-- the only difference is, you can control this remotely.

So you can be at work or on the road, and do just about anything you could do if you were sitting right in front of your Tivo at home.
QED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:38 PM   #10
kki000

Thats it exactly!
website

BTW the normal price (bestbuy,cusa etc) is 249, so 189 is pretty good deal, i think.
If you dont have a costco membership, amazon has it for 209.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #11
airjrdn

A slightly related, free, software version of something like this would be Orb, correct?
airjrdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
kki000

Similar concept but the devil's in the details. Orb like other software solutions digitize the picture coming in via tv card. So if you have unencrypted cable or just doing over the air stuff, it can be fine. I believe snap stream server does this as well. Only problem is those packages dont allow control over your set top box. Im sure there are other software solutions out there with an ir blaster add on where you can do this all on a pc, but it can be kind of complicated with ir codes and such.
Only other real product like this is from Sony. Their system costs a bit over 300 and has a few other limitations. It does work with psp's though.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #13
BaNzaiDags

I was always wondering about this... I want to know if you can set it up on one of the TV's at your home ... say in the guest room...

I was thinking... what if i gave one to my sister in boston and she hooked it up to a TV in the guest room. Then i could watch all the redsox/patriots games locally broadcasted over the internet and only have to pay initial cost of sling box? oh yea.. i live in washington.

do you have to have tivo?

is this possible.. if so.. i might look into this.
BaNzaiDags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #14
kki000

The best way i can describe it and its true value for me is this-

I saw this at a trade show a while back
Location Free Tv

How friggin neat, 1200 bucks, no thanks.

If you get this sling box thingie,and you have a home wireless network and a wifi laptop, you have all the funtionality of that portable tv without shelling out the 1k for it.

Even more of a plus, yer laptop can be use this way (with a slight video quality hit) anywhere you have internet access. Hotel room, star bucks etc, i can be watching my mindless tv melting my brain.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:05 PM   #15
kki000

Quote:
Originally posted by: BaNzaiDags
I was always wondering about this... I want to know if you can set it up on one of the TV's at your home ... say in the guest room...

I was thinking... what if i gave one to my sister in boston and she hooked it up to a TV in the guest room. Then i could watch all the redsox/patriots games locally broadcasted over the internet and only have to pay initial cost of sling box? oh yea.. i live in washington.

do you have to have tivo?

is this possible.. if so.. i might look into this.
Yup, you dont have to have tivo. I plan on giving my buddy in seattle access to it so we can watch Mets games together.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:10 PM   #16
RossMAN
Grand Nagus

I'll probably give Orb a try but this is definitely appealing considering no monthly fees and CostCo's awesome return policy.

I just wonder how I'll be able to connect a cable modem, HD DVR, Tivo/Sling and TV tuner card to ONE cable outlet. I'm not so crazy about getting a 4 way cable splitter.
RossMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #17
huey1124
Golden Member

Okay, once you give your buddy access, will he be able to change channels from his computer as well? Or can you make yourself a "master account" where only you can have viewing and control privileges, and give your buddies "guest accounts" where they only have viewing privileges? How many concurrent connections can have at same time?

What I'm trying to get at is, I can maybe setup a Slingbox network within my circle of friends and families living in different areas, so we can all have more viewing choices and get around the blackouts on sports broadcasts.

huey1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #18
kki000

LOL. My buddy was joking that i was opening my own cable network. Its a nice idea, but sling limits one connection at a time to each box. You can have the app installed on as many machines as you want, but only one can connect at a time.

My buddy on the other end can switch channels and interact with it as if everything is in front of him.
There is an admin login and a regular login, havent played around with it enuf to see the difference.

This thing only piggy backs off a video and sound input from yer set top box, whether its a cable box or sat box or what have you, so no need to split the cable per se. It has a pass thru feature where you can send the signal in and output it again to your TV.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #19
cyberia
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: kki000
My buddy on the other end can switch channels and interact with it as if everything is in front of him.
Now, if he selects, say, Digital Cable Channel 145, and watches it remotely, can you select Dig. Cable Ch. 146 and watch it locally? Or are you limited to only one channel by your set-top cable box?
Old 02-22-2006, 02:52 PM   #20
CPA
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: cyberia
Quote:
Originally posted by: kki000
Now, if he selects, say, Digital Cable Channel 145, and watches it remotely, can you select Dig. Cable Ch. 146 and watch it locally? Or are you limited to only one channel by your set-top cable box?
If it's satellite and you don't have two lines coming into the Tivo, then my guess is only one.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:12 PM   #21
kki000

Yes, can only watch the same channel. Its perfect to connect to the cable/sat box in the second room or bedroom thats not used as much.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:19 PM   #22
airjrdn

I'm starting to get a bit confused...here's my current setup:

Content Sources:
--->DirectTV - Satellite TV Access w/dual inputs (DirecTV Tivo), record two shows at once, etc.
--->Media Server - All DVD's ripped to DivX, all music, all pictures, all family videos

Display Methods:
--->DirecTV Tivo - Display live tv or pre-recorded shows
--->XBox Media Center - pulls from media server, allows viewing of all non-Tivo content, also has 120G drive for content portability
--->Orb - exposes all non-Tivo content to anywhere on the net, allowing sharing of some

What (if anything) would a Slingbox offer me?
Old 02-22-2006, 04:24 PM   #23
kki000

Slingbox connected to your direct tivo will expose that content to you anywhere on the net, just like orb.
In addition you can schedule recordings remotely on the directivo.

Its orb for your direct tivo essentially.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:30 PM   #24
airjrdn

That makes sense, thanks.

Orb will actually interface with Xbox Media Center which I'm running on the Media Server, so I guess Orb will essentially do most of the missing stuff this will allow.

The one advantage the Slingbox would sound like it has to offer is the ability to stream Tivo'd (recorded) content. The one caveat would be that whatever I'm Slingboxing from Tivo would be what others would be viewing from the Tivo as well.

Still seems cool.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #25
robby69

The slingbox essentially has 2 connection inputs that you can remotely switch between.

You have an s-video/rca video combo and a coax input.

I have my Dish Network receiver s-video out going into the slingbox. You can hook up another device via coax inpit, i.e. DVD player, VCR, 2nd satellite receiver, DVR etc.

You can remotely switch the input between the 2.

The slingbox plugs into your router, and then you have to port forward your router to enable remote viewing outside your immediate network.

robby69 is offline   Reply With Quote