· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
kzrssk

Default D-Link DI-624 Dropping Physical Connection

How y'all are, or something...

I've got a DI-624 that drops physical connections when the WiFi is enabled. Tried using 2.50 and 2.70 revision firmwares, switched network cables; the only thing that fixes this problem is if I turn off the WiFi, which is kinda pointless because it's a wireless router. The problem started when I moved to a new apartment complex recently. Is it possible something in the airwaves is causing the router to crash and reboot?

Thanks all.

EDIT: Turns out, even when the WiFi is turned off, the problem still occurs.
kzrssk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
deathwalker
Golden Member

Perhaps cordless phones ....many operate on the same frequencey...2.4
deathwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
kzrssk

I would understand if it was just my wireless connections that were dropping, but it's my physical connections as well.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
Gamingphreek
Lifer

But answer our question. What frequency range do your wireless phones operate on? If it is 2.4Ghz spectrum, then you are probably having interference, regardless of whether or not it is wired or wireless connection. Your wireless connection will still recieve data, even though you may not want it to.

We had this problem, and for that reason im still on a wired connection (which i still like better)

-Kevin
"And 'lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." -Matthew 28:20

Proud to be a Hokie :: neVer forgeT 4/16/07
Gamingphreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
kzrssk

Quote:
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
But answer our question. What frequency range do your wireless phones operate on? If it is 2.4Ghz spectrum, then you are probably having interference, regardless of whether or not it is wired or wireless connection. Your wireless connection will still recieve data, even though you may not want it to.

We had this problem, and for that reason im still on a wired connection (which i still like better)

-Kevin

All I've got is a cell phone. No conventional wireless phones. Anyway, even if the wireless transmitter is turned off on the router, the physical connections still drop. I found that out just a couple hours ago.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
Gamingphreek
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: kzrssk
Quote:

-Kevin

All I've got is a cell phone. No conventional wireless phones. Anyway, even if the wireless transmitter is turned off on the router, the physical connections still drop. I found that out just a couple hours ago.
Yes, the same thing apparently happened with our old router. For some reason i still think it is recieiving signal somehow (we even tried removing the antenna to no avail).

When you say drops connection are you completely sure, or does windows just pop up telling you that you lost connection?

Also try pinging your router and cable modem for about 5 mins straight:
Run -> cmd
When at the prompt type: "ping -t 192.168.0.1". This will send a continuous stream of packets at your router which must respond back. After about 5 mins hit CTRL+C to stop the tests.

All the latency numbers should be very very low with no spikes and no timeouts. If there are any of these then there is a problem.

After that use the same command and ping your cable modem. For motorola modems it is 192.168.100.1. I cant remember off the top of my head what it is for D-Link or LinkSys modems. All the latencies here should be <1ms with no spikes and no timeouts. Once again, if there is then something is wrong.

Next check your router and modem log (just type in the addresses i gave you earlier into your web browser). You can either take screens of each and post links to them, or you can look yourself and just post about anything you are unsure of.

There are a couple of other things we can try if nothing comes up there; but i think something SHOULD happen on the pings if the connection is truly dropping out.

-Kevin
"And 'lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." -Matthew 28:20

Proud to be a Hokie :: neVer forgeT 4/16/07
Gamingphreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:13 AM   #7
kzrssk

Quote:
Yes, the same thing apparently happened with our old router. For some reason i still think it is recieiving signal somehow (we even tried removing the antenna to no avail).

When you say drops connection are you completely sure, or does windows just pop up telling you that you lost connection?

Also try pinging your router and cable modem for about 5 mins straight:
Run -> cmd
When at the prompt type: "ping -t 192.168.0.1". This will send a continuous stream of packets at your router which must respond back. After about 5 mins hit CTRL+C to stop the tests.

All the latency numbers should be very very low with no spikes and no timeouts. If there are any of these then there is a problem.

After that use the same command and ping your cable modem. For motorola modems it is 192.168.100.1. I cant remember off the top of my head what it is for D-Link or LinkSys modems. All the latencies here should be <1ms with no spikes and no timeouts. Once again, if there is then something is wrong.

Next check your router and modem log (just type in the addresses i gave you earlier into your web browser). You can either take screens of each and post links to them, or you can look yourself and just post about anything you are unsure of.

There are a couple of other things we can try if nothing comes up there; but i think something SHOULD happen on the pings if the connection is truly dropping out.

-Kevin
Yeah the connection drops. If pages are loading, they stop. AIM loses connection. All physical connection lights go out on the router.

But yeah, I'll try the continuous ping and have it output to a text file or something. The thing about it is that it's completely random. It might happen 10 times in 10 minutes, or once in 30 minutes. So I guess theoretically it could not do it for years now . It's dropped a couple times today already though.

Anyway, I don't think if the modem went out, would the connection between my computer and the router go out; I would just suddenly lose Internet access and wonder why.

Thanks for the advice, though.