Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-02-2005, 12:23 AM   #1
Zuerst

Default What's the difference between IBM/Lenovo T and R series laptop?

Both seem very familiar but the R series seems to be a lot cheaper? Why is the T series more expensive?

Besides the X series, what is the thinest IBM/Lenovo laptop avaliable now? The widescreen Z series seem to be thinner than the T and R series?

Thanks,
Zuerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
Trippytiger

The T-series is a fair bit smaller and lighter than equivalent R-series laptops, and they're constructed out of magnesium alloy (for the screen) and titanium reinforced carbon fibre reinforced polymer, while the R-series are simply made out of regular ABS plastic (and lots of it). Internally, I believe they're basically identical, although there are some hardware options available for the T-series that you can't get in an R-series.

Aside from the X-series, the T-series is still the thinnest laptop from Lenovo - the new Z60t is slightly thicker than a 14" T-series, but not by very much.
Trippytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:32 AM   #3
WackyDan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Zuerst
Both seem very familiar but the R series seems to be a lot cheaper? Why is the T series more expensive?

Besides the X series, what is the thinest IBM/Lenovo laptop avaliable now? The widescreen Z series seem to be thinner than the T and R series?

Thanks,
Lenovo uses a lot of the older R models to reach those low price points... ie; R50e.

They are essentially the same system internally when you buy base level R52 and T43 with integrated graphics.

Like trippy said, the T is lighter nd thinner due to materials used.... ALSO - The 14" T uses a 14" chassis which of course is smaller than the T 15" chassis... Hence the 14" can come in very light and thin com pared to the 14 or 15 R.

T offers a lot more performance options.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #4
Zuerst

Thanks for the replies guys. Does the Z series use similiar material to the T series?

One more thing. Why does the Lenovo site say that both the R and T series are less than 1" thin when apparently it is not?
Zuerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:09 PM   #5
fbrdphreak
Lifer

The Z-series does not use a magnesium alloy and I'm pretty sure there is no carbon reinforced plastic, but it is still a very sturdy design. They use a single structure "roll cage" to store the internals that really helps stiffen the chassis up. Build quality of the Z's is inbetween that of an R and T. T is still a bit better, but the Z is more than satisfactory for me.

Dunno why it would say that for an R, as at its thinnest the point the R is not near 1". For a T they may be referring to its thinnest point, not its thickest.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
WackyDan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
The Z-series does not use a magnesium alloy and I'm pretty sure there is no carbon reinforced plastic, but it is still a very sturdy design. They use a single structure "roll cage" to store the internals that really helps stiffen the chassis up. Build quality of the Z's is inbetween that of an R and T. T is still a bit better, but the Z is more than satisfactory for me.

Dunno why it would say that for an R, as at its thinnest the point the R is not near 1". For a T they may be referring to its thinnest point, not its thickest.
I disagree,,, The z60t's I've had a chance to see all had the titanium composite cover (not the titanium silver cover) The Z60M's have abs plastic lids as their base option.

The Z also has the new "roll cage" internal to the chassis and newer(re-designed) hard drive shock absorber (that the new T, R, and X will have next year.) so the Z is technically more durable than the T.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:33 AM   #7
Trippytiger

Titanium composite cover? My understanding was that the Z60t laptops were made of hybrid carbon-fibre reinforced polymer (not titanium reinforced CFRP like the T-series) all around. I have no idea what it means by 'hybrid,' though.

Google 'CFRP' sometime; it's impressive to see what sorts of applications it has outside of ThinkPads.
Trippytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:09 AM   #8
Ionizer86
Diamond Member

I just got a r50e two weeks ago. The lower-end ones also have 14" screens, placing them at just under 6lb. 14" T series notebooks are just under 5lb, I believe. Yes, the R is a bit thicker, but the footprint seems similar, and I find my 14" r50e quite portable. I find it weird that the higher-end R's have 15" screens. I prefer the 14".

Some other differences: the R50e has no touchpad, just the trackpoint. That could be a good thing because when you type, accidentally touching the trackpoint can move your cursor. Also, some T notebooks have the fingerprint scanner, and other T's have the hard drive accelerometer chip that can detect drops and park the hard disk heads.
Ionizer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #9
imported_goku
Diamond Member

T-series is built significantly better than the R series.. I love my T42, I can't really see my self buying another brand of laptop, although I'm wondering what will lenovo do now..
imported_goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:07 PM   #10
fbrdphreak
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: WackyDan
I disagree,,, The z60t's I've had a chance to see all had the titanium composite cover (not the titanium silver cover) The Z60M's have abs plastic lids as their base option.

The Z also has the new "roll cage" internal to the chassis and newer(re-designed) hard drive shock absorber (that the new T, R, and X will have next year.) so the Z is technically more durable than the T.
I've not played with a Z60t that didn't have the silver cover, maybe that's why. I'll ask