· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-28-2005, 06:39 PM   #1
aic
Golden Member

Default Any swimmers who are allergic to pool chlorine?

I can't swim anymore because of what I believe to be an allergic reaction to pool chlorine. Stuffs up my sinuses and I sound like I have a bad cold. I will try a nose plug but not sure that will help. Any other tips?
aic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
Lola

Can you really wash yourself well after swimming(especially your face)? I know there are special shampoos they have to take the chlorine out of your hair, you you could try and use it on your body too.

I know that when i swim, my hair turns green from it.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
aic
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
Can you really wash yourself well after swimming(especially your face)? I know there are special shampoos they have to take the chlorine out of your hair, you you could try and use it on your body too.

I know that when i swim, my hair turns green from it.
Thanks.

It is an indoor YMCA pool.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
thelanx
Diamond Member

There are brominated pools around, but that's not really a solution. See a doctor for an allergy test.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:53 PM   #5
AmerDoux

I knew a guy who's entire body would break out in boils. For years he thought he had systemic acne, until he took two months off to recoup from an injury/surgery. During the break his skin cleared up. He ended up having a battery of tests and he is allergic to the chlorine in the water.

"From unfulfilled desire comes frustration; from frustration, anger; from anger, ruin." -The Bhagavad-Gita
AmerDoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
D1gger
Diamond Member

We have several ozone treated pools here and they are much nicer to swin in.

All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone. - Blaise Pascal
D1gger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:19 PM   #7
aic
Golden Member

just bump'in.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:22 PM   #8
hjo3
Diamond Member

Quote:
Although some people claim to be allergic to chlorine, this condition is very rare. Allergists insist that only a very small minority of patients actually experience an allergy to chlorine, which involves a reaction of the immune system to foreign substances. Even prolonged exposure to chlorine isn't likely to produce an allergy. Instead, sufferers are most likely oversensitive to chemicals. Chlorine in swimming pools or drinking water can irritate your eyes and skin and can cause coughing, sneezing, and wheezing if inhaled. Chlorine can also increase your sensitivity to other allergies like hay fever or pet allergies. If you suffer from these symptoms, there may be too much chlorine in your pool or drinking water. It's also possible that your problem is swimmer's sinusitis (sine-you-SYE-tihs), which is caused by cooling of the skin and getting water into the sinuses. This results in a stuffy, itchy nose with some discharge after swimming. The best treatment is to switch to a non-chlorine pool sanitizer. Some other remedies include nose plugs, saline nasal sprays, decongestants, and other medications that help keep the nasal passages open. Also, drink plenty of water to keep the mucus thin and allow the nose to drain quickly. If the problem persists, be sure to see a doctor, since you could develop a serious sinus infection and complicate the problem.
hjo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:24 PM   #9
Ime
Diamond Member

My sister is allergic to chlorine as well. It gives her terrible rashes.

However, as her doctor said, we are all allergic to chlorine. After all, it's used to kill stuff.

Give a high enough concentration and anyone will have a problem with it.
Ime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:28 PM   #10
Daaavo
Platinum Member

The pool I go to uses sodium hypochloride. It's nice.

Daaavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:29 PM   #11
hjo3
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ime
However, as her doctor said, we are all allergic to chlorine. After all, it's used to kill stuff.

Give a high enough concentration and anyone will have a problem with it.
There is a big difference between a poison and an allergen.
hjo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:55 PM   #12
aic
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: hjo3
Quote:
Although some people claim to be allergic to chlorine, this condition is very rare. Allergists insist that only a very small minority of patients actually experience an allergy to chlorine, which involves a reaction of the immune system to foreign substances. Even prolonged exposure to chlorine isn't likely to produce an allergy. Instead, sufferers are most likely oversensitive to chemicals. Chlorine in swimming pools or drinking water can irritate your eyes and skin and can cause coughing, sneezing, and wheezing if inhaled. Chlorine can also increase your sensitivity to other allergies like hay fever or pet allergies. If you suffer from these symptoms, there may be too much chlorine in your pool or drinking water. It's also possible that your problem is swimmer's sinusitis (sine-you-SYE-tihs), which is caused by cooling of the skin and getting water into the sinuses. This results in a stuffy, itchy nose with some discharge after swimming. The best treatment is to switch to a non-chlorine pool sanitizer. Some other remedies include nose plugs, saline nasal sprays, decongestants, and other medications that help keep the nasal passages open. Also, drink plenty of water to keep the mucus thin and allow the nose to drain quickly. If the problem persists, be sure to see a doctor, since you could develop a serious sinus infection and complicate the problem.
Thanks.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:48 AM   #13
badmouse
Platinum Member

My 16-yr-old son is also "allergic" to chlorine - he breaks out in hives and his nose passages swell up so that he stops breathing. Not fun. We've been through the whole allergist route and frankly, most allergists are lowlife doodoo bags.

I put "allergic" in quotes because when we hit the emergency room, if I say "allergic" they get an allergist who argues, rather than helps, but if I say he's "sensitive" to chlorine and he stopped breathing because of it, then we get a real doctor.

Anyway, in our area there are a couple of spring-fed outdoor public pools that are kept chlorine-free, and a lot of "allergic" people go there, including us. If you start making phone calls you will find that there ARE non-chlorinated pools. Takes a while, but worth the effort.
badmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:52 AM   #14
acemcmac
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: aic
Quote:
Originally posted by: hjo3
Quote:
Thanks.
AKA it's impossible to be allergic to cholrine. Cholorine is an element. The only people who can legitimatley claim to be allergic to cholorine were killed by chorline based gas bombs in WW1
acemcmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:55 AM   #15
Accipiter22
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: aic
I can't swim anymore because of what I believe to be an allergic reaction to pool chlorine. Stuffs up my sinuses and I sound like I have a bad cold. I will try a nose plug but not sure that will help. Any other tips?
they have a hypo allergenic version of pool sanitizer, if it's your own pool, or someone who you could convince to use it. I used to work in a pool store, we'd get ppl with allergies every now and then...I think it's potassium based
Accipiter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:34 PM   #16
stu1811

we have baquacil in my pool.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:00 PM   #17
aic
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: badmouse
My 16-yr-old son is also "allergic" to chlorine - he breaks out in hives and his nose passages swell up so that he stops breathing. Not fun. We've been through the whole allergist route and frankly, most allergists are lowlife doodoo bags.

I put "allergic" in quotes because when we hit the emergency room, if I say "allergic" they get an allergist who argues, rather than helps, but if I say he's "sensitive" to chlorine and he stopped breathing because of it, then we get a real doctor.

Anyway, in our area there are a couple of spring-fed outdoor public pools that are kept chlorine-free, and a lot of "allergic" people go there, including us. If you start making phone calls you will find that there ARE non-chlorinated pools. Takes a while, but worth the effort.

Thanks. I went swimming on Sunday and my nose is still stuffed up. :frown:
Old 11-30-2005, 05:38 PM   #18
bwnv

Indoor pools rarely use chlorine. good pool info
There is also a good forum attached to the site with loads of info.
bwnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:52 PM   #19
ShadowBlade
Diamond Member

not likely

A64 3200+| Chaintech VNF4 Mobo | Corsair VS 1024MB | XFX 7800GT | SB XFi ExtremeMusic | WD 250GB HD | Samsung 80GB HD | Fortron AX500-A || Sceptre X20WG-Naga 1680x1050
// Desktop
-------
Dell Inspiron e1505 || WD 320GB HD
// Server
-------
Asus Eee PC 900HA
// Daily use
ShadowBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:55 PM   #20
psychoticpickle

I have a problem with chlorine in the pool we go to. I actually feel faint and nauseous from the smell. I wish they used sodium hypochloride.

Will ask the pool manager tonight when we go.
psychoticpickle is offline   Reply With Quote