Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Merchandise and Shopping > Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2005, 04:08 PM   #1
codeyf
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 11,825
Default Big-5 Anniversary Sale - Binoculars, $15, $18, and $22

I think it was actually in an ad earlier this week. But they have the following:

All are "Rugged Exposure" brand.

10x25 - Reg $49.99, Sale $14.99
12x25 - Reg $59.99, Sale $17.99
16x25 - Reg $89.99, Sale $21.99

I picked up the 10x25's. Nice little bino's. Have a thin neck cord, and come with a little pouch and lens cloth. Will be great at work, as we're across the street from the Seattle Sheraton. It's not un-common to catch some interesting "activites" going on from time to time
__________________
My Heat
codeyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
Nick5324
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,268
Default Big-5 Anniversary Sale - Binoculars, $15, $18, and $22

I've never heard of Big 5, but google tells me it's out west. For those interested
__________________
Go Bucks!!
7 National Titles
35 Big Ten Titles
Nick5324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:09 PM   #3
jpeyton
Moderator
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,189
Default Big-5 Anniversary Sale - Binoculars, $15, $18, and $22

They have this special every week. I got some compact Barska 10x25 last week for $13; Rugged Exposure looks like they are rebranded but identical.

Good deal on Barska Zoom binos as well; $30 for a 7-21x Zoom.
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
edplayer
Platinum Member
 
edplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Costa Mesa
Posts: 2,186
Default Big-5 Anniversary Sale - Binoculars, $15, $18, and $22

is 10x25 good for using within a city? I would like one for seeing things less than 500' away. Probably more like between 50 and 250' most of the time.
edplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:40 PM   #5
jpeyton
Moderator
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,189
Default Big-5 Anniversary Sale - Binoculars, $15, $18, and $22

Quote:
Originally posted by: edplayer
is 10x25 good for using within a city? I would like one for seeing things less than 500' away. Probably more like between 50 and 250' most of the time.
Depends on what you define as "see". Would you like to see the headlines on a newspaper or an entire room? Binoculars have a field of view based on their power; my 10x is good for newspaper headlines across my room; I would probably need 25x to read the headlines off a paper from across the street.
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:50 AM   #6
codeyf
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 11,825
Default Big-5 Anniversary Sale - Binoculars, $15, $18, and $22

ust noticing I got what I thought was the $17.99 was stickered as $14.99
__________________
My Heat
codeyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
daveshel
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 5,452
Default Big-5 Anniversary Sale - Binoculars, $15, $18, and $22

Quote:
Originally posted by: codeyf
ust noticing I got what I thought was the $17.99 was stickered as $14.99
Right. I just called them and they have the 12 X 25 for 17.99 and something in a 16 X for 21.99.
__________________
"I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all..."
daveshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:54 PM   #8
codeyf
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 11,825
Default Big-5 Anniversary Sale - Binoculars, $15, $18, and $22

I must have my numbers wrong then. 10x25, 12x25, and 16x25 perhaps?

I know I asked for the $17.99 ones, but I got the $14.99. Go figure.
__________________
My Heat
codeyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:13 PM   #9
Nerva
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,778
Default Big-5 Anniversary Sale - Binoculars, $15, $18, and $22

this is in store only?
__________________
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Nerva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:08 AM   #10
mplogic
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: KY
Posts: 1,099
Default Big-5 Anniversary Sale - Binoculars, $15, $18, and $22

I love big 5, they have some amazing deals on binocs, kinves, watches, and whatever else. I believe they get overstock supply from various other stores because their stock is always different and can even vary a lot by store. By the way if you ask (and if you are dealing with a cool clerk) they can look up the sale price on any item within the last few months and will usually give it to you for that price (if it's not currently on sale). But YMMV on that one and don't tell 'em you read it on a forum.

On the binocs don't expect anything great but they might be a decent spotter pair for daytime use. Any more info on 'em? Porro or roof prisms? Any coatings and if so, what color? I'd stay away from the 16x25s as at that magnification you're going to have a pretty small field of view and poor light gathering which will make them a headache (literally) to use for any period of time. Not bashing the deal, i've got some totally decent binocs at big 5 for $10-50 before, just make sure you check 'em out in the store before you buy and even compare a couple identical pairs as it's really common for cheap binocs to be out of collimation right out of the box. They're usually pretty easy going on the returns there too.
__________________
heatware

ebay feedback
mplogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:54 AM   #11
daveshel
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 5,452
Default Big-5 Anniversary Sale - Binoculars, $15, $18, and $22

These turned out to be cheap junk. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.
__________________
"I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all..."
daveshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:38 AM   #12
codeyf
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 11,825
Default Big-5 Anniversary Sale - Binoculars, $15, $18, and $22

Quote:
Originally posted by: mplogic
I love big 5, they have some amazing deals on binocs, kinves, watches, and whatever else. I believe they get overstock supply from various other stores because their stock is always different and can even vary a lot by store. By the way if you ask (and if you are dealing with a cool clerk) they can look up the sale price on any item within the last few months and will usually give it to you for that price (if it's not currently on sale). But YMMV on that one and don't tell 'em you read it on a forum.

On the binocs don't expect anything great but they might be a decent spotter pair for daytime use. Any more info on 'em? Porro or roof prisms? Any coatings and if so, what color? I'd stay away from the 16x25s as at that magnification you're going to have a pretty small field of view and poor light gathering which will make them a headache (literally) to use for any period of time. Not bashing the deal, i've got some totally decent binocs at big 5 for $10-50 before, just make sure you check 'em out in the store before you buy and even compare a couple identical pairs as it's really common for cheap binocs to be out of collimation right out of the box. They're usually pretty easy going on the returns there too.

No coatings, nothing special. Just nice little cheapie bino's. Good for spying out the ladies at sports games.
__________________
My Heat
codeyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.