· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-28-2005, 07:01 AM   #1
cmv
Diamond Member

Default Motorcycle Helmets - Clearance at Dennis Kirk

Dennis Kirk - Motorcycle Helmet Clearance

There are some really good deals but be sure to check if they are DOT and Schnell approved (I have been told Schnell is harder to pass than DOT). I'm not seeing any killer deals -- my normal buy is an HJC CL-14 from NewEnough.com but they are not killer deals at the moment either (they sometimes go for a little under $80 there).

cmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
Budmantom
Lifer

Nice Deals!
Old 09-28-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
DarkForceRising

if you're wondering about the Dot andSchnell ratings, there is a fantastic but rather long article at motorcyclistonline.com. http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/
DarkForceRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:18 AM   #4
bman46

$27 for a full face is a good deal.
bman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:34 AM   #5
bmacd
Lifer

the majority of the helmets there are garbage. The other name brand helmets (icon, nolan, HJC) are the oddball sizes...either 2XSmall or 2XLarge, stuff your average person wouldn't be able to fit in.

-=bmacd=-
bmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:27 AM   #6
3point14
Golden Member

The only piece of advice that I have is... DO NOT BE CHEAP WHEN BUYING A HELMET!
I have two separate helmets for riding; a cheap Vega that I got when I bought my bike, and an Arai Quantum E. At the time of my accident in July I was wearing my Arai. That's a good thing considering the quality of helmet is what saved my life. I am not going to get into too many details, but I am still alive today because of my helmet. In fact, I still keep the helmet around to show my students. OK, enough preaching from me, happy riding everyone.
3point14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
Nessism
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: 3point14
The only piece of advice that I have is... DO NOT BE CHEAP WHEN BUYING A HELMET!
I have two separate helmets for riding; a cheap Vega that I got when I bought my bike, and an Arai Quantum E. At the time of my accident in July I was wearing my Arai. That's a good thing considering the quality of helmet is what saved my life. I am not going to get into too many details, but I am still alive today because of my helmet. In fact, I still keep the helmet around to show my students. OK, enough preaching from me, happy riding everyone.

Arai helmets are nice but are a very poor value if your main purpose is to protect your head.

HEAT
Nessism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #8
NiNe

Wow, great read.

It's nice to know that sometimes us poor people can get something that performs just as well as what the rich folk have (even if it might not be as comfortable or look as nice).

Wow, a $79 Z1R ZRP-1 softens hits to 130-176g vs. an Arai Tracker GT at 166-243g. Call me silly, but if I can pay less money and take 35-67 less G's on my noggin, I'm on board.

- G. K. Chesterton
NiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
Kelvrick
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nessism
Quote:

Arai helmets are nice but are a very poor value if your main purpose is to protect your head.
$50 helmets are one thing, but if they're new HJC, or any of those other budget $150-250 helmets, you'll be hard pressed to find a difference with the $400-500 Arai helmets aside from the fancy handpainted designs.

On that note, you should get a helmet that passes BOTH of those safety approvals. He's right when he says don't skimp on gear, but you don't need to get the most expensive, name-brand stuff. Just don't cheap out.

Trying hard not to troll. Don't make it hard on me.
Kelvrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:29 PM   #10
mercanucaribe
Banned

I should buy one of those for Mt Biking.. They're cheaper than full face bicycle helmets.
mercanucaribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:52 PM   #11
Midlander
Platinum Member

I don't ride, but make sure those of you who do get a helmet. My brother (an MD) told me I was wasting my time signing an organ donor card. I asked why. He said I don't fit the profile. "You don't ride a motorcycle." Hmmm. Makes you think a bit, doesn't it?

So, if you ride, please wear a helmet.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:59 PM   #12
k1114
Golden Member

For those who are looking for a good deal, look into the Scorpion Exo series... It's been getting great reviews (rates right up there with Arai and Shoei) but both of their models (the 400 and 700) are under $200.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:13 PM   #13
3point14
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nessism

Based on...?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

...you don't need to get the most expensive, name-brand stuff. Just don't cheap out...

3point14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:41 PM   #14
MiataPaul

The prices seem good, I just have a hard time buying online. I can't try it on for one thing, and for another you have no idea how old it is. Plastics get britile with age. SCCA rules require the helmet to be less than 5 years old. (go by the manufacturing date on sticker) So I might save a few dollars but only be able to use it for a few years. Not a good value. I know not every one races, but there is a reason for the rule. They say the plastic helmets (I believe none of wich are Snell approved anyway) they say should be thrown out every few years.
MiataPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #15
Slacker
Diamond Member

I bought an M2R MR1000 (image link) size large $64.00 shipped (product page link)
, it came today, very nice helmet, the large was too small for me but fit my wife, I ordered another of the same helmet in XL for myself, it should be here next week.

Nice CSR's
Quick shipping
New retail packaging
The date on the helmet is 10/17/2002

I am wearing it right now

Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:56 AM   #16
utacity

ANY helmet is better than none.

read the motorcyclist mag review of helmets...it was shocking...in that 'cheapo' DOT ONLY helmets kicked the butts of many helmets 4 times as expensive. you dont necessarily want a snell certified helmet.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...atz/index.html

also keep in mind that with ANY helmet you want to replace it every 3-5 years as it 'ages out' and wont protect you as well. the foams and glues and other materials inside break down over time. so, IMO, i am going to look for good brand name helmet that i can get for around $100, say from denniskirk.com clearance section and then just replace it every 3 years. from what i have read i will likely try to find a DOT ONLY helmet. i currenlty wear an hjc full face that has both dot and snell ratings but its old enough that i need to replace it NOW.
utacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:00 AM   #17
utacity

along the same lines of safety, a full-face is likely better protection than 3/4 or 1/2 helmet.

also you want leather boots that go up over your ankles.

its also prudent to wear a riding jacket with body armor built into it.

basically suit up like a football player before you go out to ride!
utacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:28 PM   #18
Salvador
Diamond Member

Salvador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:28 PM   #19
Salvador
Diamond Member

Excellent! All I need now is a deal on manufacturer rejects on condoms.
Salvador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:33 PM   #20
Sundog
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: cmv...but be sure to check if they are DOT and Schnell approved (I have been told Schnell is harder to pass than DOT).
There are some good debates between SNELL and DOT standards. When I went shopping for on I purposely looked for a helmet that was DOT and not SNELL.

Quote:
There's a fundamental debate raging in the motorcycle helmet industry. In a fiberglass-reinforced, expanded-polystyrene nutshell, it's a debate about how strong and how stiff a helmet should be to provide the best possible protection.

Why the debate? Because if a helmet is too stiff it can be less able to prevent brain injury in the kinds of crashes you're most likely to have. And if it's too soft, it might not protect you in a violent, high-energy crash. What's just right? Well, that's why it's called a debate. If you knew what your head was going to hit and how hard, you could choose the perfect helmet for that crash. But crashes are accidents. So you have to guess.

To understand how a helmet protects?or doesn't protect?your brain, it helps to appreciate just how fragile that organ actually is. The consistency of the human brain is like warm Jello. It's so gooey that when pathologists remove a brain from a cadaver, they have to use a kind of cheesecloth hammock to hold it together as it comes out of the skull.

Your brain basically floats inside your skull, within a bath of cervical-spinal fluid and a protective cocoon called the dura. But when your skull stops suddenly?as it does when it hits something hard?the brain keeps going, as Sir Isaac Newton predicted. Then it has its own collision with the inside of the skull. If that collision is too severe, the brain can sustain any number of injuries, from shearing of the brain tissue to bleeding in the brain, or between the brain and the dura, or between the dura and the skull. And after your brain is injured, even more damage can occur. When the brain is bashed or injured internally, bleeding and inflammation make it swell. When your brain swells inside the skull, there's no place for that extra volume to go. So it presses harder against the inside of the skull and tries to squeeze through any opening, bulging out of your eye sockets and oozing down the base of the skull. As it squeezes, more damage is done to some very vital regions.

None of this is good.
Helmet designers have devised a number of different liner designs to meet the different standards. The Vemar VSR uses stiffer EPS than most, but has channels molded in to soften the assembly (to ECE specs) and enhance cooling.

To prevent all that ugly stuff from happening, we wear helmets. Modern, full-face helmets, if we have enough brains to protect, that is.

A motorcycle helmet has two major parts: the outer shell and the energy-absorbing inner liner. The inner lining is made of expanded polystyrene or EPS, the same stuff used in beer coolers, foam coffee cups, and packing material. Outer shells come in two basic flavors: a resin/fiber composite, such as fiberglass, carbon fiber and Kevlar, or a molded thermoplastic such as ABS or polycarbonate, the same basic stuff used in face shields and F-16 canopies.

The shell is there for a number of reasons. First, it's supposed to protect against pointy things trying to penetrate the EPS?though that almost never happens in a real accident. Second, the shell protects against abrasion, which is a good thing when you're sliding into the chicane at Daytona. Third, it gives Troy Lee a nice, smooth surface to paint dragons on. Riders?and helmet marketers?pay a lot of attention to the outer shell and its material. But the part of the helmet that absorbs most of the energy in a crash is actually the inner liner.

When the helmet hits the road or a curb, the outer shell stops instantly. Inside, your head keeps going until it collides with the liner. When this happens, the liner's job is to bring the head to a gentle stop?if you want your brain to keep working like it does now, that is.

The great thing about EPS is that as it crushes, it absorbs lots of energy at a predictable rate. It doesn't store energy and rebound like a spring, which would be a bad thing because your head would bounce back up, shaking your brain not just once, but twice. EPS actually absorbs the kinetic energy of your moving head, creating a very small amount of heat as the foam collapses.
The Schuberth S1 uses five separate foam parts glued together to meet the ECE standard.

The helmet's shell also absorbs energy as it flexes in the case of a polycarbonate helmet, or flexes, crushes and delaminates in the case of a fiberglass composite helmet.

To minimize the G-forces on your soft, gushy brain as it stops, you want to slow your head down over as great a distance as possible. So the perfect helmet would be huge, with 6 inches or mosre of soft, fluffy EPS cradling your precious head like a mint on a pillow.

Problem is, nobody wants a 2-foot-wide helmet, though it might come in handly if you were auditioning for a Jack in the Box commercial. So helmet designers have pared down the thickness of the foam, using denser, stiffer EPS to make up the difference. This increases the G-loading on your brain in a crash, of course. And the fine points of how many Gs a helmet transmits to the head, for how long, and in what kind of a crash, are the variables that make the helmet-standard debate so gosh darn fun.
The helmets are mounted on a 5-kilo (11 pound) magnesium headform and then dropped from a controlled height onto a variety of test anvils to simulate crash impacts on various surfaces and shapes. In the real world, your helmet actually hits flat pavement more than 85 percent of the time.

Standardized Standards

To make buying a helmet in the U.S as confusing as possible, there are at least four standards a street motorcycle helmet can meet. The price of entry is the DOT standard, called FMVSS 218, that every street helmet sold here is legally required to pass. There is the European standard, called ECE 22-05, accepted by more than 50 countries. There's the BSI 6658 Type A standard from Britain. And lastly the Snell M2000/M2005 standard, a voluntary, private standard used primarily in the U.S. So every helmet for street use here must meet the DOT standard, and might or might not meet one of the others.
Sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:59 PM   #21
cmv
Diamond Member

Quote:
The differences between expensive Shnell/DOT-certified helmets and a cheaper Shnell/DOT-certified helmets are primary creature comforts like less noise, better fit, weight, and easier to clean (completely removable inserts). I would not even consider buying a non-certified helmet.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:01 PM   #22
cmv
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Midlander
I don't ride, but make sure those of you who do get a helmet. My brother (an MD) told me I was wasting my time signing an organ donor card. I asked why. He said I don't fit the profile. "You don't ride a motorcycle." Hmmm. Makes you think a bit, doesn't it?

So, if you ride, please wear a helmet.
I also sign my organ donor card even with the reports that some companies profit by reselling skin and other parts. I don't know if that is true anymore but, even though I read about the profit angle, there is still a chance that some part of me will keep another person alive if I bit the big one. So consider signing your organ card too.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:10 PM   #23
Sundog
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: cmv
The differences between expensive Shnell/DOT-certified helmets and a cheaper Shnell/DOT-certified helmets are primary creature comforts like less noise, better fit, weight, and easier to clean (completely removable inserts). I would not even consider buying a non-certified helmet.

It is Snell, not Shnell.

Snell M2000/M2005 standard
Old 11-24-2005, 09:18 PM   #24
halik
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: bmacd
the majority of the helmets there are garbage. The other name brand helmets (icon, nolan, HJC) are the oddball sizes...either 2XSmall or 2XLarge, stuff your average person wouldn't be able to fit in.

-=bmacd=-
Yeah,
helmet is one of those things you don't wanna cheap out on. Hell you can get a full face helmet for 40 bucks in Meijers.... that doesn't make it a good deal.
It seems like people want to bend reality any way they wish. Jobs are created by economic activity, and this economic activity happens because of self-made people of all races and colors that are motivated by greed. The sooner we understand it the better we are.
halik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:10 PM   #25
Sundog
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: halik
Quote:
Originally posted by: bmacd

-=bmacd=-
Yeah,
helmet is one of those things you don't wanna cheap out on. Hell you can get a full face helmet for 40 bucks in Meijers.... that doesn't make it a good deal.
And yet you can spend $600-800 for one that protects as well as $150-250.