· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
loki8481
Lifer

Default coworker opened my paycheck

kinda concerns me... I have direct deposit, so sometimes I'm a little lax and leave my paystubs sitting around my desk unopened for a couple days before I take them home and file them.

it's never been a problem before, in the 5 years I've worked in my job, but I came into work this afternoon to find my pay stub from the 15th ripped open and left on my desk. it was kinda weird, because they opened it the same way I open all of my envelopes (along the narrow edge of the envelope) but not with the same neat anal-retentive tear that I use.

I'm pretty sure I know who it was and it doesn't seem like an accident (you'd think he'd come right up and tell me if he opened up my check thinking it was his own), but I can't decide if it's worth taking up to my manager, who'd doubtlessly take it up to HR.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
yllus
Lifer
Elite Member

If you didn't witness someone doing it, there's not much point in following this up. It'd just be empty accusations.

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." - H.L. Mencken
yllus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
xeemzor
Platinum Member

Why not try talking to the perp?
xeemzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Gunslinger08
Lifer

You could take care of your own problem and ask the person you suspect.
Gunslinger08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
Cdubneeddeal
Diamond Member

Not worth it. You're best bet is in the future, to shred your DD slips and not worry about it.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
ProfJohn
Banned

What do you expect HR to do about this?

Fire the guy or just smack him on the hand?

Unless you saw him do it I would just let it pass.
ProfJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
Baked
Lifer

So what if people know how much you make? You Asian or something? Our company doesn't even issue payment summaries anymore. Everything's done online.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Capt Caveman
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Baked
So what if people know how much you make? You Asian or something? Our company doesn't even issue payment summaries anymore. Everything's done online.

WTF!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
rivan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: loki8481
kinda concerns me...

I'm pretty sure I know who it was
'Pretty sure' isn't enough to get a dude in hot water in my book.

The mail room, from time to time, mis-delivers my amex bill to someone else's secretary, who invariably opens it and presumably looks at some charges before figuring it out it's not hers to deal with and sends it over to me. It's happened 3 or 4 times in the last 4 years or so.

Don't sweat it, or if you really want to, bring it to your manager but don't drop a name if you're not 100%.

Someone still mows the grass at Pine Point's cemetery.
rivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #10
redgtxdi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Quote:

WTF!
(Baked packs bags for vacation)

Seriously, that's why I ***NEVARRRR*** leave my paycheck layin' around! It goes into my pocket and ***NEVARRR*** leaves it until I get home & even then, I typically deposit it either that night, or the very next day!!

Tough call. If you know who did it, I'd probably confront 'em. Lettin' stuff like that go doesn't work for me............it just starts to stew!!

:music: With my mind on my money and my money on my miiiiiiind.... :music:
redgtxdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:00 PM   #11
loki8481
Lifer

I'm not losing sleep over it or anything, it's really just the invasion of privacy... it's no ones business what I make except my boss and the people who sign my check / approve my raises.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:00 PM   #12
Skeeedunt
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it has more to do with people opening his mail and generally dicking with his stuff when he's not around.

It might be worth bringing up just so that management is aware of it. If they start getting a lot of reports of people's mail being opened/stuff going missing/whatever, they might check into. But if no one ever says anything... you get the idea. Though I agree with others that you shouldn't mention names if you're not sure.
Skeeedunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #13
Capt Caveman
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: loki8481
I'm not losing sleep over it or anything, it's really just the invasion of privacy... it's no ones business what I make except my boss and the people who sign my check / approve my raises.
Either confront the person and ask them wtf or go to HR and inform them what happened and that going forward you want your pay stub to be mailed to your house.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #14
Baked
Lifer

1) You're paranoid. Somebody probably opened your mail by accident is too embarrassed to admit it. Yeah sometimes people open my amazon.com orders at work too, but I don't go around QQing about it. I didn't lose anything, no need to get all work up about small things.
2) Don't know how your company works, but mine has a pay grade chart that's made public at the HR website. You can see how much people make based on their job title and step.
3) Most Asians I know are really hush hush about how much they make. So I'm just wondering. People need to quit being so god damn anal and PC about everything that's said about race.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:02 AM   #15
Dessert Tears
Golden Member

Questions/clarifications:
  • Does your pay stub have your full direct deposit information (i.e. routing number, account number)?
  • Was your pay stub on your desk, then opened; or opened and placed on your desk?
Old 04-17-2008, 12:16 AM   #16
Sphexi
Diamond Member

Quote:
1) You're paranoid. Somebody probably opened your mail by accident is too embarrassed to admit it. Yeah sometimes people open my amazon.com orders at work too, but I don't go around QQing about it. I didn't lose anything, no need to get all work up about small things.
2) Don't know how your company works, but mine has a pay grade chart that's made public at the HR website. You can see how much people make based on their job title and step.
3) Most Asians I know are really hush hush about how much they make. So I'm just wondering. People need to quit being so god damn anal and PC about everything that's said about race.
A lot of companies have very strict policies about chit-chatting about salaries. They don't want others to know you make more, or you to know someone else makes more, that kind of thing. I've seen people fired before for talking about their paycheck on the job. Someone else opening it is kind of different, at this point it's more of an invasion of privacy, especially when I'm sure his name was on it, and it looked like a payroll stub. Very likely they did it on purpose, that's what would disturb me most.
Sphexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:23 AM   #17
Deadtrees
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:

WTF!
Haha, I'm Asian and I totally agree with what Baked said.
Deadtrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:31 AM   #18
IAteYourMother
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Deadtrees
Quote:
Quote:

WTF!
uhh, payroll confidentiality is also valued by white people, contrary to popular belief.

Aimster: Why? Because they are Muslim?

ndtz: Because Britain is our strongest ally and Iran is our biggest enemy? What a stupid question.
IAteYourMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:31 AM   #19
Scarpozzi
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

WTF!
Are YOU the secret asian man?
Old 04-17-2008, 01:00 AM   #20
Atomic Playboy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

WTF!
uhh, payroll confidentiality is also valued by white people, contrary to popular belief.
No it isn't. I feel comfortable speaking on behalf of my race. Actually, I feel comfortable speaking on behalf of all races. But when it comes to white people, yeah, we don't care if people know how much we make.

Last year I made 36,000. Oh no, now you know my terrible secret! I'm wealthy!
Atomic Playboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:24 AM   #21
CocoGdog

This sort of thing happens more time than people think. Just keep your private documents and personal belongings in a locked cabinet or desk. Now if they invade that space, then it would be a reportable offense.
CocoGdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:34 AM   #22
kranky
Elite Member

You don't know who did it, so don't say anything. Keep your private stuff out of view, and move on.

Unfortunately, while you and I might respect other people's privacy, there are people who cannot restrain themselves. Don't leave stuff out that will entice them to nose around.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:48 AM   #23
jaqie
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: kranky
....people who cannot restrain themselves....
I suppose you are one of those people who loves the 12 step program for alcoholics, who thinks some sex offenders "had no choice" and no control over themselves and should be released with no punishment, and the like.

Let's just say that "I strongly disagree" is understatement of the year, and keep it at that instead of derailing the thread and getting into a slugfest. There is such a thing as free will.

Now, as for the opening of your cheque paystub, this is *NOT* something to ignore. Report it immediately, even if nothing comes of it. It is possible (but unlikely) that someone may be trying to begin many nefarious things with your personal data anywhere from a prank (which could go wrong in a bad way) to identity theft. Was it internal mail or did it have a US postmark on it? If it was the latter, this is a federal crime (messing with someone else's mail is a federal crime). This may be the start of something much more serious, or may be the only/first thing you noticed. This is not paranoia, as paranoia means you only think it is true. I have had similar happen to me and it turned out very, very bad for me because I did not report it (long story).
jaqie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:55 AM   #24
0roo0roo
No Lifer

Quote:
most people in general especially coworkers do not tell each other how much they make. leads to gossip and jealousy
Old 04-17-2008, 06:13 AM   #25
kranky
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: jaqie
Quote:
Originally posted by: kranky
....people who cannot restrain themselves....
I suppose you are one of those people who loves the 12 step program for alcoholics, who thinks some sex offenders "had no choice" and no control over themselves and should be released with no punishment, and the like.

Let's just say that "I strongly disagree" is understatement of the year, and keep it at that instead of derailing the thread and getting into a slugfest. There is such a thing as free will.

Now, as for the opening of your cheque paystub, this is *NOT* something to ignore. Report it immediately, even if nothing comes of it. It is possible (but unlikely) that someone may be trying to begin many nefarious things with your personal data anywhere from a prank (which could go wrong in a bad way) to identity theft. Was it internal mail or did it have a US postmark on it? If it was the latter, this is a federal crime (messing with someone else's mail is a federal crime). This may be the start of something much more serious, or may be the only/first thing you noticed. This is not paranoia, as paranoia means you only think it is true. I have had similar happen to me and it turned out very, very bad for me because I did not report it (long story).
I see you're new, or else you'd realize I am one of the strongest proponents of personal responsibility here. Nowhere did I imply that the person who opened it had "no choice". But I am realistic in that I recognize there are people who wouldn't go through someone's desk but will look at stuff laying out on top of a desk. So don't leave stuff laying out was my recommendation.