· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 08-11-2005, 07:59 AM   #1
jerryjg
Banned

Default life expectancy of a keyboard?

my keyboards getting a little bit dirty and sticky after about 6 months usage. Does anyone clean their keyboards or just throw em out. there are some great websites about how to clean and lube your keyboard to restore it to like new condition.
jerryjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:07 AM   #2
AmberClad
Diamond Member

Keyboards should last much longer than 6 months, so it seems like kind of a waste to just buy a new one, unless the one you have right now is one of those cheapo ones that came with a system. I usually just disassemble mine and clean it.

If you do decide to clean it, just make sure you remember which keys go where (if you completely disassemble it, as opposed to just removing the two covers). Last time I did this, I laid out the keys on a table and accidentally bumped the table. All the key orders got scrambled and I had to Google for a pic of my keyboard so I could put all the keys back in the right place .

I didn't know there were websites that had instructions on how to do it, I just use dishwashing liquid and a scrubby sponge.
AmberClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #3
Leros
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: AmberClad
If you do decide to clean it, just make sure you remember which keys go where (if you completely disassemble it, as opposed to just removing the two covers). Last time I did this, I laid out the keys on a table and accidentally bumped the table. All the key orders got scrambled and I had to Google for a pic of my keyboard so I could put all the keys back in the right place .
So, you didnt have another keyboard to look at, but you were able to google up an image of one? Something is missing here.

Leros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:20 PM   #4
jadinolf
Lifer

Throw it out.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
johnnqq
Golden Member

turn it upside down and shake it.

get another $5 keyboard. cleaning it isn't worth the effort.
johnnqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
AmberClad
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: JToxic
Quote:
So, you didnt have another keyboard to look at, but you were able to google up an image of one? Something is missing here.

I googled using a laptop, which doesn't have the same layout and number of keys. I mainly had trouble with the number pad and remembering where the operations keys are supposed to go.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:00 PM   #7
glorygunk

just go buy a can of anti-static wipes to clean off the surface of your keyboard. doesn't get the cheez-it crumbs out...but at least your keys will be white again!
glorygunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:18 AM   #8
BladeVenom
Lifer

I use compressed air to clean between the keys, and isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface.
BladeVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:35 PM   #9
Goi
Diamond Member

My IBM Model M is circa 1984 and still working fine.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #10
ArchAngel777
Diamond Member

Quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL... Talk about odd, but I have a hard time figuring out where the keys go as well. But it doesn't matter, because I have them all memorized. It is hard to explain... I never look at the keyboard when I type, but I still cannot put a keyboard together correctly the first time... I will type a perfect paper with the keys in the wrong place but I still cannot eye-ball the keys in the right spot... Pretty odd if you ask me

Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz|Asus P6T Deluxe V2|12GB DDR3|nVidia 480 GTX 1GB @ 822/1644/2000|Samsung 830 256GB SSD
ArchAngel777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:53 PM   #11
ArchAngel777
Diamond Member

FYI:

Most keyboards are rating at 1,000,000 strikes per key. I bet I have went over that so many times...

Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz|Asus P6T Deluxe V2|12GB DDR3|nVidia 480 GTX 1GB @ 822/1644/2000|Samsung 830 256GB SSD
ArchAngel777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:20 PM   #12
Zelmo3

Quote:
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
I use compressed air to clean between the keys, and isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface.
Ditto. Open up the case if you hear something rattling around inside.
Don't bother tossing it out and replacing it with a $5 jobbie. Keyboards are perfectly good until the contacts wear out, and finding another one you like as well as the one you have can be difficult (or just expensive).
Zelmo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:06 PM   #13
halfadder
Golden Member

When I find a keyboard I like, I buy four more and put them in my closet. Since 1996 I haven't spent more than $15 for a keyboard, you don't need to spend much for quality. (But PLEASE don't buy a $3 bargain basement crap keyboard). When they get dirty or don't work quite right I just swap it out for a new one.

If you're gonna spend $300 for a gfx card or $700 for a sweet SLI setup, what's another $15 for a clean keyboard??
halfadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:04 AM   #14
BlingBlingArsch
Golden Member

give it a shower, let it dry a day or two, like new or dead...but i think it will survive.
BlingBlingArsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:50 PM   #15
ss284
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: halfadder
When I find a keyboard I like, I buy four more and put them in my closet. Since 1996 I haven't spent more than $15 for a keyboard, you don't need to spend much for quality. (But PLEASE don't buy a $3 bargain basement crap keyboard). When they get dirty or don't work quite right I just swap it out for a new one.

If you're gonna spend $300 for a gfx card or $700 for a sweet SLI setup, what's another $15 for a clean keyboard??
A really good idea, although 4 might be a little overboard.
ss284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:44 PM   #16
Cerb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Goi
My IBM Model M is circa 1984 and still working fine.
Actually, they didn't make them until 1985, I believe, but yup, that's the way to go. You can still get new ones, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Model_M_Keyboard

It will last you until you can't use a PS/2 keyboard, or you spill something nasty in it (my poor '86 one is in keyboard heaven, now...).
Old 08-17-2005, 01:28 AM   #17
Jeff7
Lifer

My good old $6.95 Acer keyboard here is at least 5 years old. Been through one washing already, and it'll probably have another one soon.
By washing, I do mean it - take it apart, get the little circuitboard out of the way, and then soap and water for the rest. Works quite well. The keys don't have much texture left on them anymore - rather smooth now. But hey, it works fine, and I'll keep using it until the conductive rubber backings of the keypad disintegrate.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:41 PM   #18
Codegen
Banned

I've gone through 5 keyboards in 2 1/2 years.

But I'm a rageholic when it comes to my computer not workking the way I want it too.

Codegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:01 AM   #19
bleeb
Lifer

It depends on my mood... if I'm feeling lazy, I'll go buy a new one, If I want to clean it, I'll clean it... it all depends on your mood dawg~
Old 08-18-2005, 08:22 PM   #20
Kaspian
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: jerryjg
my keyboards getting a little bit dirty and sticky after about 6 months usage. Does anyone clean their keyboards or just throw em out. there are some great websites about how to clean and lube your keyboard to restore it to like new condition.

Just get a new one... I dont know about you, but my time is worth more than a few bucks.
Video: MSI R6950 (2gig) Twin FrozrII
Sound: Asus Xonar

CPU: Xeon E3110
Mobo: Gigabyte P35-DS3L rev 2.0
MeM: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 2gigs
Sound: Razer Barracuda AC-1
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:36 PM   #21
Excelsior
Lifer

Kaspian - a few bucks? where can you get a decent keyboard for $3?

Clean it. If you bought a new KB everytime it got dirty..well, youd be wasting a lot of money. I clean mine every now and then. Just pop off all the keys (it isnt hard to put them back in the right place). Clean each key (not too thoroughly, just check them over), then clean the hell out of the part under the keys, using soap and water.

Jenna: Cal, are you happy? I mean, when you call yourself a happy man, do you really mean it?

Cal: You ask a serious question, I'll give you a serious answer: Happy enough. I don't expect much. I don't get much, I don't give much. I generally enjoy whatever comes along. That's my answer for you, summed up for your feminine consideration. I'm happy enough.
Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:50 PM   #22
AmberClad
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Excelsior

Clean it. If you bought a new KB everytime it got dirty..well, youd be wasting a lot of money. I clean mine every now and then. Just pop off all the keys (it isnt hard to put them back in the right place). Clean each key (not too thoroughly, just check them over), then clean the hell out of the part under the keys, using soap and water.

A good quality mouse or keyboard can last years, maybe close to a decade if you take good care of it. I had a Logitech optical mouse I owned since back when I was in high school. It'd get a bit grimy/greasy every once in a while, so I'd unscrew the covers and give it a good scrubbing. It's got a few indents in the buttons where my fingers wore away the plastic over the years, but if you tried plugging it in, it still works .

That thing cost a hell of a lot more than $3 when I bought it (opticals were pretty new back then), and you'd still have a hard time buying it for less than $10 nowadays.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:28 AM   #23
Kaspian
Golden Member

Quote:

Well, I guess if you are on a tight spending budget, or have time to clean it (time is someting I dont have), then yes, cleaning the kb its an option. Also, you are right, you cant find a decent kb for around $3.00. All the kb that I've owned have been on the $10-$20 range. I still stand by my opinion on the issue, when it comes time to "clean" my kb, I just get a new one. The way I look at it is that I'm not buying a kb, I'm buying time.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:48 AM   #24
Excelsior
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Kaspian
Quote:

Well, I guess if you are on a tight spending budget, or have time to clean it (time is someting I dont have), then yes, cleaning the kb its an option. Also, you are right, you cant find a decent kb for around $3.00. All the kb that I've owned have been on the $10-$20 range. I still stand by my opinion on the issue, when it comes time to "clean" my kb, I just get a new one. The way I look at it is that I'm not buying a kb, I'm buying time.
If time is something you don't have, then what are you doing on AT? Sounds like you are just lazy.

Jenna: Cal, are you happy? I mean, when you call yourself a happy man, do you really mean it?

Cal: You ask a serious question, I'll give you a serious answer: Happy enough. I don't expect much. I don't get much, I don't give much. I generally enjoy whatever comes along. That's my answer for you, summed up for your feminine consideration. I'm happy enough.
Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #25
Kaspian
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: Kaspian
Quote:

If time is something you don't have, then what are you doing on AT? Sounds like you are just lazy.
Well, right now I'm at work if you need to know. And when I do finnaly get some "me" time, do I spend it cleaning a $10-$20 kb? or do buy a new one and I find something more entertaining to do?