· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 08-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #26
vegetation
Diamond Member

Default Why does PC hardware for gaming cost so much more than console gaming machines?

a) Economies of scale. Consoles use a common, if not identical, design. Parts can be negotiated for the lowest dollar value possible.

b) Console manufacturer doesn't necessarily need to make a profit on the console itself; in fact they can incur a loss if they do their analysis enough showing that the sale of games and accessories will make up for the loss. If so, that would fit their strategy, mirrored by Microsoft's xbox.

c) Marketing campaigns brainwash the individual into thinking that consoles can do a lot more than they really can. This helps fuel the consumer's mind into thinking that a console can run circles around a PC. Sure. The examples here depitcting how a console is marvelous -- but only 640x480, a crappy resolution on a PC even in 1999, is a great example of how marketing can convince people that consoles beat PCs, when it's not sure.

vegetation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:37 AM   #27
CuriousMike
Golden Member

Default Why does PC hardware for gaming cost so much more than console gaming machines?

Sorta off topic, but I'll say that in general, PC games don't look better than consoles.
Most PC games are written to the lowest common denominator, your MX440 or whatever.
Sure, everyone here will name the top 5-10 PC games that look great, but will ignore the other 150.

Selection. There's seriously like 5-10 PC games I want to /currently play now. There at least 2-3x that on consoles.

I'll just say that a console is a far better deal money wise. Buying $300 video cards, upgrading processors and memory to play PC games seems like a waste when I can have a "good enough" ( if not better ) experience on a console.

CuriousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:46 AM   #28
theMan
Diamond Member

one of the reasons i like pc's, is that i can do whatever i want on them. i can be playing a game, and then browse the internet, run a program, burn a dvd, without even getting out of my chair. thats why pc's are so much more expensive.
theMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:47 AM   #29
BTA

Quote:
Originally posted by: CuriousMike
Sorta off topic, but I'll say that in general, PC games don't look better than consoles.
Most PC games are written to the lowest common denominator, your MX440 or whatever.
Sure, everyone here will name the top 5-10 PC games that look great, but will ignore the other 150.

Selection. There's seriously like 5-10 PC games I want to /currently play now. There at least 2-3x that on consoles.

I'll just say that a console is a far better deal money wise. Buying $300 video cards, upgrading processors and memory to play PC games seems like a waste when I can have a "good enough" ( if not better ) experience on a console.
I was going to point out whats wrong with your post, but well, the whole thing is basically just not true.

Basically you should have just said "I like console games better". At least then it'd be an opinion instead of just a bunch of false statements.

BTA is offline   Reply With Quote