· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-11-2005, 10:10 PM   #1
puppykitten

Default How to talk to my boss to change job function?

Hi, I am a newbie in software industry, working in software testing.

I have been working on some boring and non-important job part of testing for almost one year, and in the plan my boss sent me recently, she still wants me to work in this field for next year. I am really tired of it. What's more, this part of testing is by no means the core part of our group, and I can learn nothing if continue working on this.

I am very eager to learn more skills in various part of testing, working on more core parts in my group, and build my "own brand". My boss will soon talk to me about the plan for next year, and I would like to talk to her about changing my job function. However, I am a newbie, and really don't know how to talk to her about this, and not make her unhappy about this ( I guess if I don't want to do this part, she needs to find someone else working on my current part.). I really want to hear advice from your experienced guys. Thanks!
puppykitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
beer
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: puppykitten
Hi, I am a newbie in software industry, working in software testing.

I have been working on some boring and non-important job part of testing for almost one year, and in the plan my boss sent me recently, she still wants me to work in this field for next year. I am really tired of it. What's more, this part of testing is by no means the core part of our group, and I can learn nothing if continue working on this.

I am very eager to learn more skills in various part of testing, working on more core parts in my group, and build my "own brand". My boss will soon talk to me about the plan for next year, and I would like to talk to her about changing my job function. However, I am a newbie, and really don't know how to talk to her about this, and not make her unhappy about this ( I guess if I don't want to do this part, she needs to find someone else working on my current part.). I really want to hear advice from your experienced guys. Thanks!
I guess that the first question would be to ask yourself, "Do I have other options?"

Whether or not you can answer that question determines how assertive you're allowed to be when you ask her, I would presume, correct?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
puppykitten

Come on, guys, give me some kind hints!
puppykitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:27 PM   #4
tami
Lifer

well, first you should point out that you have aptitude in the areas you have been working in. make sure to list what you have done. then use that as a door to tell your boss that you have the ability to go much further and would like to be given more responsibility, that you are looking for a challenge and a growth opportunity. tell her you do not think you are working to your fullest potential at the current stage that you are working in.
tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:31 PM   #5
PowerEngineer
Platinum Member

Well, one approach might be to sell her on the idea that getting more people involved in a variety of jobs is good for the company -- expanding the range of work skills of her staff prepares it for changing needs and better protects against loss of some "critical" employee. You're looking for growth opportunities and are willing to continue doing your present job because you see the need for what you're doing, but would really like to also get involved in the fun stuff at least part time. Maybe team you up with another person and make you both responsible for both jobs.

Good luck!
PowerEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:33 PM   #6
Otaking
Diamond Member

Talk to her about cross-training!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
AreaCode707
Lifer

Start getting peripherally involved in the parts of the field you want to be in. Once you've established that you're somewhat helpful there, go talk to your boss about how you've been doing this, how you really love it, how you want to develop in that area and learn new skills, and would she be willing to let you shift your time more towards that area.