· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-16-2005, 08:12 AM   #1
busyrob

Default Asus A8V Deluxe: Problems with Bios opperating

I just got a new Aus A8V Deluxe, AMD 64 3000+, and two 512 megs of Muskin memory to upgrade my existing computer.

I've got some problems now, and I'm out of ideas on how to fix them.

I get 2 messages when I boot up:

No external Fasttrack found, and No Bios Installed.

So, I call up Asus late Friday night, and they say it's supposed to happen, because it's a 64 bit chip. I guess I get that fixed after I install Asus's software.

The No Bios installed doesn't make sense, because it has a bios, and I've been using to set up boot orders, and the time, etc.

So, I set the CD-roms to boot first, so I can run Windows or the Asus software immediatly, but the CD-roms are being skipped straight to the hard drives. Then I decided to boot from the floopy first, and manually switch over to the CD-roms and run the exe files like that. However, when I go to change directories (cd d:-z: ), I get no cd-roms found. But they've boot been detected in bios, as the right Master and Slave combo, and they're on the right ribbons.

If I let it sit and go all the way to the harddrives, I get a message asking me to run windows in safe mode, with a network, last best configuration, and normal. I've tried running all of those, but after I select one, the screen goes black, and the machine restarts. I never see Windows XP load screen.

Therefore, I'm out of ideas.

Has anybody else had this problem, and if so, how did you deal with it? If anybody has installed a 939 setup before, I don't think this is abnormal. I've never done this configuration before, so all the tricks I knew don't seem to be working in this environment.

Please send help ASAP!
busyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
lockmac

The no bios installed and the Fastrak things, these are the SATA and RAID things. The bios thing is not talking about the motherboards actual BIOS. I just disabled these things apart from the SATA I was using
lockmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
FlyingPenguin
Golden Member

First of all you CANNOT install WinXP by booting to a floppy. You need to go into the BIOS menu and change the boot order to boot from the CD first. If the HDD already has a boot partition, you'll need to press a key when prompted, to indicate you want to boot from the CD or it will default to booting from the HDD.

I assume you're swapping the mobo but keeping the old OS install? You need to do a Repair install to allow WinXP to redetect all hardware and re-install drivers. Instructions here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Be aware that if you're using a RAID controller or a SATA controller you may need to have your drivers ready on a FLOPPY (not on a CD) and hit F6 when the XP installer first boots.

A repair install will leave your apps and data alone, but it will revert the OS back to the version that's on the XP CD. You will then need to install the latest Service Pack (unless the CD is already slipstreamed to SP2) and you'll have to install all the windows updates.

Also, you'll have to re-activate windows (due to the hardware change) and any other apps that require activation after a hardware change (Office & Norton).

The repair install will only install the WinXP generic drivers. You will need to install all the latest drivers for your devices afterwards. THE VERY FIRST driver you install should be the motherboard drivers.

I also STRONGLY recommend you unplug all USB devices and pull any cards except the video card, before doing the repair install. It will go smoother.

You can ignore the BIOS messages. They probably are related to the onboard FASTTRAK RAID controller. If there's no drives connected to it then it will give you a message that it didn't detect any drives, and thus it won't load BIOS for the Fasttrak HDD controller.

Hope this helps...

FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
mechBgon
Super Moderator
Elite Member

Trivia item: You might also be able to bring up a manual boot-device selection list by pressing the F8 key when you see the first POST screen, my K8V Deluxe had that capability. Welcome to the Forums busyrob
mechBgon is offline   Reply With Quote