Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-21-2005, 01:38 AM   #1
Buz2b
Diamond Member

Default Need suggestions for lappy (hard?) case I can use as a platform

Basically, I have a "soft" case but desire one that has a hard surface inside so that the laptop can sit on a flat surface and "breath" better by not blocking vents on bottom and side/back.
Any ideas or suggestions? TIA
Buz2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:37 AM   #2
corkyg
Peripherals

You might try a this sheet of hard plastic or plywood inder the notebook, and make sure no side vents are blocked.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
Buz2b
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: corkyg
You might try a this sheet of hard plastic or plywood inder the notebook, and make sure no side vents are blocked.
Yeah, I've thought of that and it would be fairly simple but was hoping for something less "rigged". I've seen some aluminum cases on egay but using that avenue is a gamble at best. I'm hoping for some input from other AT'ers on cases they might have used.
I thank you for your input.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
corkyg
Peripherals

Yeah - I can understand that - I have used aluminum camera cases for many years. They are usually foam lined, but for a laptop, you could set it on top with the lid closed - or ???

There are many out there - here's one sample:

AL3

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
Old 03-21-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
Buz2b
Diamond Member

Yup, that's what I'm talking about and hoping to get some feedback on. Yes, I was thinking I'd have to put the unit on top; depending upon the amount/thickness of the padding inside. I was also thinking that, with the right case, I could "mod" the inside and remove small portions of the interior padding, just to clear the vent areas on my laptop. I know, what happens when the inevitable comes and I get a new laptop? Guess I'd have to "mod" it again. :laugh: But, that's a bit premature right now. I"m not sure I'd even do it in the first place.

Just an FYI, what I'm trying to do is make it easier for the wife to fire up the laptop in the car on trips. I'm thinking of getting MS Streets and Trips 2005 w/GPS Receiver, since we do quite a bit of traveling/camping/long drives, etc. She's not the best navigator and I'm thinking this would ease the tension a bit when the confusion starts.

MS Streets 2k5 w/gps
Old 03-21-2005, 10:39 PM   #6
corkyg
Peripherals

That's a useful way to go - I have DeLorme Street Atlas with GPS via Earthmate II. I have used it in the car on trips - but I put it on top of a center console. Have thought about a mobile table such as this:

GPS

Old 03-22-2005, 12:07 AM   #7
Buz2b
Diamond Member

Interesting. A nice way to go if you're on the road by yourself a lot. Can't figure out how they do it (and make it stable) without any drilling though. I don't have the center console either; it's a minivan with walk through buckets.
How do you like that DeLorme Street Atlas? I think that was the other one I was looking at when I was in Office Depot. Does it have voice directions? That is one thing that MS Streets & Trips does not have. Of course, if the wife's doing the navigation on the laptop I guess that wouldn't be necessary. Then again, it might be a good backup for when her "Left" is really her "other Right". :laugh:
Old 03-22-2005, 07:26 AM   #8
corkyg
Peripherals

I too have a minivan with a center aisle, and I can set up a box that is pretty stable. Then, use Velcro to provide a good sticky surfac that should hold the laptop in place except during a major collision or something.

A floor mounted table is cool - but there are also movable center consoles at that sit.

I have used StreetAtlas now for about 6-7 years. DeLorme is the best digital mapping outfit in the country, and I'm now up to SA2005. It does have a voice capability, and the new Earthmate GPS device is USB 2 and smaller. It also works great on a boat.

But, for reliable car navigation - the best are the new built-ins,or a good dash mounted system like a Garmin.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:16 AM   #9
Buz2b
Diamond Member

Quote:
I too have a minivan with a center aisle, and I can set up a box that is pretty stable. Then, use Velcro to provide a good sticky surfac that should hold the laptop in place except during a major collision or something.

A floor mounted table is cool - but there are also movable center consoles at that sit.

I have used StreetAtlas now for about 6-7 years. DeLorme is the best digital mapping outfit in the country, and I'm now up to SA2005. It does have a voice capability, and the new Earthmate GPS device is USB 2 and smaller. It also works great on a boat.

But, for reliable car navigation - the best are the new built-ins,or a good dash mounted system like a Garmin.
Yes, something like a dash mounted Garmin would be ideal. More $$ too. I've found the MS Streets w/GPS for as low as $99 and am hoping for lower with further research and/or coupon implementation. Of course, I realize you "get what you pay for" also.
Does the Delorm load to a laptop only or does it have a PDA version included? I guess I'll have to do some more research. The MS version includes the PPC app and there is a Pharos Compact Flash adapter for the GPS unit (sold separately) that can be used to adapt the PDA as the GPS unit. Just another avenue I'm exploring. Of course, using the PDA would lose some functionality of the program because you have to "pre-load" maps of the areas you're traveling. If not, you're SOL.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:10 PM   #10
corkyg
Peripherals

It seems that a PDA version of DeLorme's stuff is in the works.

PDA

I have reached the point in life where I don't worry too much about $$$ - it's either enjoy it or save it for my kids. That, of course,is controversial.

I do a lot of travelling - land, sea, and air. Actually I know all of my land routes cold - so a GPS display would be nothing but fun and games.

I really would like some of these exotic displays to be projected in the lower left part of the windshield - a "Head Up Display."

Cheers!

Old 03-23-2005, 10:23 PM   #11
Buz2b
Diamond Member

Quote:

I really would like some of these exotic displays to be projected in the lower left part of the windshield - a "Head Up Display."

Cheers!
LOL!! Now THAT would be fun. Actually it's probably not that far off. HUD's are practically old news in the aviation industry, as I'm sure you know. I also seem to remember a "concept car" being featured on some TV program that included a HUD, among other goodies. Unfortunately, most drivers don't have the ability to divide their attention as it is, no matter how easy they make it. Probably the only thing really hold the car makers back is the very real aspect of lawsuits.
I did some research on the DeLorme site and in their forums. It seems it is really costly to go the route I want. You have to buy both the "regular" Street Atlas 2005, plus the Handheld version, plus the Earthmate GPS unit AND a special cable for the PDA to GPS connection. I like the fact that the software is more mature and has voice application but still have to answer to the wife and our busy upcoming camping and salmon fishing plans.